GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

WATER LEAK ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

WATER LEAK ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Empty
PostSubject: WATER LEAK ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH   WATER LEAK ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 12:39 pm

The vista window seems to be leaking. This morning I climbed in to the wagon and started down the road in the rain. I noticed a drip of water fall behind my head. I looked up and there was a few drips of water on the tan plastic trim around the vista window. I pulled the trim down and it seems to be coming in near the front drivers side of the window.

Anyone else have this issue? Should I remove the window and reseal to fix it, or can I get away with caulking the inside of the window. I do not want to trap any water and cause rust........

Tim
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: WATER LEAK ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH   WATER LEAK ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 1:32 pm

Tim

Pull the trim down and tighten the eight or 10 nuts. I would think that would take care of your problem. The gasket is real soft and gooey. It has 15 years of contraction and expansion.

tom
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: WATER LEAK ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH   WATER LEAK ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 1:59 pm

silverfox103 wrote:
Tim

Pull the trim down and tighten the eight or 10 nuts. I would think that would take care of your problem. The gasket is real soft and gooey. It has 15 years of contraction and expansion.

tom

Tom

great idea........ I will do that right away......

Tim
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: WATER LEAK ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH   WATER LEAK ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 8:20 pm

There was a really good pic of the Vista seal on the famous sawzall thread...
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: WATER LEAK ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH   WATER LEAK ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 9:30 pm

The reason for the leak is that it is probably already rusty. You should remove it and check for rust. If you seal it from the inside, the water still gets under the seal and will rust the area around the window.

I accicdentally broke my windshield, and when it was removed, the entire passenger side from the center to the A pillar on the bottom was just sitting there, nothing holding it to the car. There was also a rust hole at the top of the window near the mirror covered by the top reveal molding. My car is a Florida car, and still had the issue. I have a leak in the back of my vista window, and the top of my rear quarter window. I am almost scared to remove them. In the interest of preserving your sheetmetal, remove it.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: WATER LEAK ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH   WATER LEAK ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 9:52 pm

I recently had the headliner out and inspected the entire area. I do not believe there is much rust if any. I will rust proof the inside after I tighten the bolt though....

I had a rear quarter window leak and had my body guys remove and reinstall it. No rust.....

Thanks

Tim
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WATER LEAK ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH   WATER LEAK ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 10:05 pm

Hey Tim,Tom and Fred both make a lot of sense but I called my buddy who restores antique airplanes and talked
to him because I want to check my vista roof.He told me that if the seal is not already compressed and there is
no visible rust to do the following.Gently pull the gasket away and down from the sealing surface and look for any
paint bubbling or what he called tracks.This is where the rust will follow a seam and not bubble but the paint will
flake if you just push against it.Now if still no signs of rust tighten gently in a crisscross pattern.He said they use
a inch pound torque on airplanes,something about precision clamping force.If they are real loose tighten it down
in stages.Sounds like a lot of work but he does some incredible restorations so I trust him completely.
Let me know how it works out.
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: WATER LEAK ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH   WATER LEAK ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 10:13 pm

After i put exhaust and a tranny filter into my son's car tomorrow, I hop to get at this!! Then maybe a can tighten the ONE bolt that is preventing me from driving the Impala!!!!!

NO TIME TO GET THIS STUFF DONE!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WATER LEAK ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH   WATER LEAK ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WATER LEAK ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Page 1 of 1