GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Lorne's Wagon for January 2009

Go down 
+8
silverfox103
convert2diesel
IMPALADAKID
Tangowagon
Greg72
DBeaSSt
93wgn
lornejay1
12 posters
AuthorMessage
lornejay1

lornejay1

Lorne's Wagon for January 2009 Empty
PostSubject: Lorne's Wagon for January 2009   Lorne's Wagon for January 2009 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 8:46 pm

Well since this is the pilot thread this is my story.

My name is Lorne Jay and i live in Miramichi New Brunswick Canada. I am married with 5 children,own a Funeral Home and have loved cars since I can remember.

I may very well be one of the only members who can say I drove these b body wagons new as my 1991 was the very first one ordered. I remember the former owner worried that a casket may not fit due to the rear slope. We only saw pictures when ordering it. the car was loaded with all options including power seat (driver),mirrors and auto load leveler. the rear end was a posi with 3:23 gears. As most here know the motor was only available with the 305. I forget the price if I was even ever told.

Here is the only picture I could find when it was new. It took some getting used to compared to the Boxys

Lorne's Wagon for January 2009 Scan0004

I was able to have it as a family car once I bought the business. That is also a great memory for my wife and I as our children were probably part of the last generation to drive in a wagon that was new in their era.
2 funny wagon memories were once we went to burger king and the manager met us at the door. He watched us getting out and met us at the door in panic mode as he said sir we only have 1 clown and there is already a birthday booked. When we said we were a family he just kept apologizing.

the other time I was in a hurry to get my wife to work and a cop was behind us. I looked in the mirror to see the youngest guy standing up waving at him from the famous tail gunner seat. I got a $130 fine for him not wearing his seat belt.

5 kids in 6 years they grew up close.

Lorne's Wagon for January 2009 Scan0001-1

In 2003 I was forced into my first mini van purchase for the business.The wagon was still in good shape with the usual blisters behind the wheel wells starting but it was still original paint and clean inside. it had 13000 kms showing.
I also have suburbans so I really couldn't justify all the cars. I advertised it for $2000 in the auto trader. I remember simply saying I just want enough to get a snowblower.
I got 2 calls. 1 from the local cab company and the other from a young guy with kids. the second showed up unannounced on thanksgiving and interrupted our dinner. I go to the funeral home to meet him and he starts on the blisters and the drivers door armrest was loose. He offers me $1200. I never said a word,hit the remote on the garage door and hop in the suburban. He calls and I refuse to talk.

So that nit I say to my wife,I am going to make the wagon my toy. To this day she will tell anyone who listens boy Lorne sure showed him close to $30,000 later what they missed out on. I never said I was smart. The drivers side armrest is exactly the same to this day. I just left it as a reminder of how upset the guy made me.

I get calls to go out in the nite for my work and I do all the inmates from the federal prison here. these calls are usually people who are not from here or have been killed in car accidents or drown while fishing etc. They are somewhat a pain as you will have to go off road or sometimes get a flat tire at an accident from debris. My wife one nite suggested I save the income from these calls and build up a fund.

I was amazing how my interest changed towards these calls knowing the wagon fund was growing. The first purchase was an impala ss grille and wheels and tires. I taped off the body chrome and bumper chrome. I left the wheel well chrome and door handles.

This is the 1991 its last year in 2004.

Lorne's Wagon for January 2009 Scan0003

Her is its final resting place as of last summer

Lorne's Wagon for January 2009 IMG_0633

Lorne's Wagon for January 2009 IMG_0632

In the fall of 2004 while on my way to a nursing home on business I see my 1995 for sale on a front yard. I knew very little about the famous LT1 but spotted the tailpipes. I couldn't stop thinking about it and on the way home I pulled in. The guy loves my 91 with the wheels and before i can warn him he opens the back door only to see a body. that was a look I will never forget.

I really only want the motor at this point from the 95 so the condition a non issue. I tell him i will call him when i get back to the Funeral Home.Meanwhile my friend in the business had owned 2 wagons with the lt1. i ask him and he says get it or I will. His were both written off by employees and he still wishes he bought the drive train for a street rod. So for $800 I tell the guy to bring it up.

Lorne's Wagon for January 2009 Scan0002

Lorne's Wagon for January 2009 Scan0005

Those pictures are after I had the floor replaced and the rear end swapped and the motor was rebuilt.

For the most part except for the bumper thats how it looked upon arrival. It ha d blue interior. the registration said surendered and the old guy didn't want to register it. He said you aren't going to title it so who cares. I said I still needed to show what i bought as it was thru the company.

I finally clued in . He didn't want me to know what he paid at the gov't auction. I said It didn't matter and he adnitted he paid $200 on friday and this was monday.

It was the supervisors car for the Highway dept paint crew. He was the only driver and it had 407 000 km thats about 250000 miles showing. When the motor was rebuilt they told me it could have been left alone. The original cam was reused.

As I have since learned from these forums it is a 1A2 which means it is somewhat rare. Tilt wheel,air and thats basically it for options. Crank windows and no cruise control,highway gears and the standard lt1 motor with dual exhaust.

The next year was the expensive year. the only thing from the 95 is the roof and quarter panels.

Everything from the roof liner to the floor is my 91 except for the dash and steering wheel. The glass was also from the 91. The registration is the 95 because of the dash so it was lucky I had it. I soon found out it was next to impossible to simply put the 95 drivetrain in my 91 for all kinds of reasons.

Lorne's Wagon for January 2009 Nokeys

I don't do my own work but I have a great friend who is capable of anything. He is a mopar guy but has been on the forum for various topics like when he put my aluminum heads on . we both enjoy nascar and we actually thought the keys were missing when it only came with 1 and it opened the doors too. Just another 1A2 option I now know. Thie idea was a result of that and the bowl shaved for the shift lever delete. I still have the doors and keys from my 91

Lorne's Wagon for January 2009 DSCF1261

seemed like a good idea at the time but now I want to do the z28 cluster and put the stereo back in place. I have a lighter outlet in the console for satellite radio

[img]https://2img.net/h/i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/lonejay1/dash.jpg[/im

Chip foose posed in it last summer

Lorne's Wagon for January 2009 IMG_0281

Lorne's Wagon for January 2009 IMG_0280

One of the neatest things I have experienced with my son is him wanting to take the family wagon to his prom. I would have never in a million years thought that in 1991. He was born in 1990.

Just something I designed for shows. It is aluminum and is held with magnets and two way tape. My competitor here has a camaro with the undrtkr plates so I did it to make him laugh at the local cruise nite.

Lorne's Wagon for January 2009 DSCF1254

I really have too much invested but like I explained I have it as a business car so I can justify it somewhat. I hope this explains the mirrors and interior not matching a 1995

Last edited by lornejay1 on Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
93wgn

93wgn

PostSubject: Re: Lorne's Wagon for January 2009   Lorne's Wagon for January 2009 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 8:18 am

Nice post Lorne... Well deserved nomination. It's kinda sad to see the shell sitting in the junkyard though... Now, did I read correctly that the 95 you ended up building was a 1A2 car or was it the 91 that was a 1A2?
Back to top Go down
https://gmlongroof.4umer.com
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Lorne's Wagon for January 2009   Lorne's Wagon for January 2009 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 8:21 am

Great post! I didn't realize all the history of this wagon... er rather these wagons. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
Greg72

Greg72

PostSubject: Re: Lorne's Wagon for January 2009   Lorne's Wagon for January 2009 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 9:11 am

Great post.

Its cool to hear the story behind the car.

Its the history of a vehicle that often makes it more valuable than the mere assembled collection of parts.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lorne's Wagon for January 2009   Lorne's Wagon for January 2009 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 12:45 pm

Nice write up Lorne.
Back to top Go down
Tangowagon

Tangowagon

PostSubject: Re: Lorne's Wagon for January 2009   Lorne's Wagon for January 2009 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 7:59 pm

Super posting along with great pictures!
What an excellent ride to head to the prom in!
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID

IMPALADAKID

PostSubject: Re: Lorne's Wagon for January 2009   Lorne's Wagon for January 2009 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 8:19 pm

Great write up Lorne. I am like the rest, I had no idea that the car had gone through such a face lift. Kutos to you. Very Happy
You might even get Febuary car of the month for that write up. Razz
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: Lorne's Wagon for January 2009   Lorne's Wagon for January 2009 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 9:55 pm

Great write up and great car. Based on the fact that you don't do your own work, that car represents a whole lot of trips to Renous and a bunch of kudos to your Mopar guy. You both did a good job. Some wet sanding and painting of the undercarriage and you might give Frank a run for his money. Hope to see it again in July.

Bill
Back to top Go down
93wgn

93wgn

PostSubject: Re: Lorne's Wagon for January 2009   Lorne's Wagon for January 2009 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 11:04 pm

convert2diesel wrote:
Great write up and great car. Based on the fact that you don't do your own work, that car represents a whole lot of trips to Renous and a bunch of kudos to your Mopar guy. You both did a good job. Some wet sanding and painting of the undercarriage and you might give Frank a run for his money. Hope to see it again in July.

Bill

Ya know what, I almost forgot, it was Lorne's wagon I was parked next to at WF08. I can't wait for July either. Mmmmmm... Warmth What a Face Shocked Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
https://gmlongroof.4umer.com
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Lorne's Wagon for January 2009   Lorne's Wagon for January 2009 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 8:02 pm

What an interesting story, dating back to 1991 when the wagons first apeared on the market. The 91 is still very much alive today in the 95. That is a real nice interior. I like the additional gauges and it looks like they are slightly angled towards the driver--nice feature. I take it the doors, floors and fenders etc., from the 91 were in better shape than the 95.

How long did it take for you to get it to where it looks today?

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

PostSubject: Re: Lorne's Wagon for January 2009   Lorne's Wagon for January 2009 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 9:26 pm

silverfox103 wrote:
What an interesting story, dating back to 1991 when the wagons first apeared on the market. The 91 is still very much alive today in the 95. That is a real nice interior. I like the additional gauges and it looks like they are slightly angled towards the driver--nice feature. I take it the doors, floors and fenders etc., from the 91 were in better shape than the 95.

How long did it take for you to get it to where it looks today?

Tom C.

Thanks everyone. Joe the 95 is the 1A2 .

Tom the last year for the 91 was 2004. I took both cars to a garage pulled the lt-1 out and the floor was redone. no the 91floor wasn't used but yes it was in better shape. I had the rear end swapped, as it was posi and less miles. Then both cars went to a body shop in the fall of 2005 where the doors glass and tailgate from the 91 were installed, If you notice in pics of the drivers side the drivers door is from the grey car and it doesn't line up. (chrome). The front left fender was bought new as both cars has rust on the lower behind the wheel.

It was in the spring of 2006 that I had the interior done. The transmission went that summer and I parked it. Then the heads were leaking so in the summer of 2007 I put the aluminum ones on. I really only drove it any distance to wagonfest 08.

This pic shows the door.

Lorne's Wagon for January 2009 DSCF2999
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: door trim not linning up   Lorne's Wagon for January 2009 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 6:54 pm

Lorne you best scrap it, and go buy Frank's cash talks
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Lorne's Wagon for January 2009   Lorne's Wagon for January 2009 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 11:10 pm

buickestate wrote:
Lorne you best scrap it, and go buy Frank's cash talks

yeah, just give me the keys and title, I'll take it to the yard for ya....

Great write up and very interesting history.
I had thought the '91 was the 1A2 all this time....never get tired of looking at pics of the car either
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Lorne's Wagon for January 2009   Lorne's Wagon for January 2009 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 9:38 am

Nice pics and story but I have one question... What happened to the 91 that made you tear apart a 13k kilometer car???
Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

PostSubject: Re: Lorne's Wagon for January 2009   Lorne's Wagon for January 2009 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 12:27 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
Nice pics and story but I have one question... What happened to the 91 that made you tear apart a 13k kilometer car???

Thats a question I asked myself the winter of 05 Bill over and over. Once I put the wheels and Impala Grille on the 91 all I was asked was if it had the infamous corvette engine in it? The 305 was just that and although It drove like new I wanted the 350. Originally my apolstery guy quoted me $3000 minimum to do a new interior in the 95. I would still not have power options.Don't forget I couldn't get $2000 for my 91. Thats when I committed to stripping it. A new roofliner was $1000 alone. I have the glass,tailgate and hood from the 95 as I thought someday I would really go custom with shaved gate,ramair hood and full air suspension and my alltime dream,wooden spinners.(nice post ha ha)
I don't see that on my horizon now that I found these links and could buy one a lot cheaper. Yes I am very envious that MarkSS got that one at BJ.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Lorne's Wagon for January 2009   Lorne's Wagon for January 2009 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 9:47 pm

Hey! Glad to see the pics I missed! I read the story...and the pics were well worth waiting for!

Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lorne's Wagon for January 2009   Lorne's Wagon for January 2009 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lorne's Wagon for January 2009
Page 1 of 1