GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Radio Removal

Go down 
+4
Cadet57
jimbeau
toomanytoyz
jeffracer
8 posters
AuthorMessage
jeffracer

jeffracer

Radio Removal Empty
PostSubject: Radio Removal   Radio Removal Icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 9:48 am

I need to pull the stock RMW radio out to attach a Sirius radio antenna adapter and then reinstall the radio. Any pointers on how to get the radio out?
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

Radio Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Removal   Radio Removal Icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 10:29 am

Very simple if it's a 94-6 car. There's 2 7mm screws at the instrument cluster and then the whole face of the dash pulls off. I think you need to open the glovebox and pop off a lower panel or two first though. Then there's 4 7mm's holding the radio in. All in all, it takes less than 5 minutes to remove the radio.

HTH!
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

Radio Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Removal   Radio Removal Icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 4:02 pm

Back to top Go down
jeffracer

jeffracer

Radio Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Removal   Radio Removal Icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 8:13 pm

Frustrating afternoon, the dash panel came out just as described, I had two panels to snap loose, one under steering column and other to right of glovebox. Radio came right out as you said.

Then I found out that GM radios don't use a standard antenna jack, the male plug on the Sirius adaptor was too big to fit in the radio and the GM plug was too small for the female on the Sirius box. No I had to put the whole thing back together and accomplished nothing.

I did mount the mag mount antenna on the left rear corner of the roof next to the luggage rack and ran the wire under the headliner to the front and then down the A pillar.

This Sirius radio has a built in FM transmitter so I can use it that way but the signal quality is not as good as with the plug in adapter.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

Radio Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Removal   Radio Removal Icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 8:47 pm

You do know they make a GM antenna plug adapter right? They run about $5 at Autozone, etc.

Radio Removal GMA10_large
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

Radio Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Removal   Radio Removal Icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 9:01 pm

They also sell them at WalMart, that is where I bought one for my XM antenna.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
jeffracer

jeffracer

Radio Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Removal   Radio Removal Icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 9:18 pm

You do know they make a GM antenna plug adapter right? They run about $5 at Autozone, etc.

I do now................., this is my first GM car in 30 years.

I guess I need 2 different adapters right? A GM male to Motorola female and a Motorola male to GM female, do they sell them as a kit or 2 separate parts?
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

Radio Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Removal   Radio Removal Icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 9:35 pm

I did my wagon about 6 months ago. I think at WalMart I bought a package of adapters. It had everything I needed and didn't cost that much.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
jeffracer

jeffracer

Radio Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Removal   Radio Removal Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 7:06 am

Off to WallyWorld this morning. Thanks for the help guys!
Back to top Go down
jeffracer

jeffracer

Radio Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Removal   Radio Removal Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 7:53 pm

Went to walmart and all they had was this octopus thingie with adapters for GM, Ford, Chrysler and others, there were at least 6 plugs on it. Autozone had the male and female GM adapters. Pulled the dash apart again and everything is installed and working.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

Radio Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Removal   Radio Removal Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 7:54 pm

Sweet! Hey, had I seen this again last night, I woulda advised against the walmactopus. Wink

Glad it's working. Smile
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

Radio Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Removal   Radio Removal Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 8:20 pm

Bill, I am hoping to get a double DIN head unit for Christmas. Could you start a thread on what you did, or had to cut, to get yours in?
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

Radio Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Removal   Radio Removal Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 10:04 pm

Good work! Glad you got it all together! Enjoy the tunes!
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

Radio Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Removal   Radio Removal Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 11:25 pm

Krzdimond wrote:
Bill, I am hoping to get a double DIN head unit for Christmas. Could you start a thread on what you did, or had to cut, to get yours in?

I pretty much unbolted mine and bolted in the new one with a kit for the car. Had to cut some plastic behind the radio out for all the rcas I had because of the amps and monitors though. But it was pretty much a bolt in affair...
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Radio Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Removal   Radio Removal Icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 8:50 am

One word of caution if you have electronic climate control...do not cut into the ductwork behind the radio, it messes with the feedback loop for interior temp control. Someone did that to my car, and the climate control did not operate correctly until I sealed the hole again.
Back to top Go down

Radio Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Removal   Radio Removal Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 8:04 am

Bump.

Anyone educated on TBI radio removal? The Alpine that was in the car took a dump on me. Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Radio Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Removal   Radio Removal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Radio Removal
Page 1 of 1