GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

TBI acting up

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Sprocket

Sprocket

TBI acting up Empty
PostSubject: TBI acting up   TBI acting up Icon_minitimeSat Dec 18, 2010 11:11 pm

Dunno what's up (thinking vacuum leak maybe), but when I'm at a light all of a sudden the idle kicks ujp and the SES light goes on and I can feel the car surge. at this condition the car with 'idle' at 25-30 mph. then a few min later it'll stop and the revs drop back....

any ideas? santa rendeer
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

TBI acting up Empty
PostSubject: Re: TBI acting up   TBI acting up Icon_minitimeSat Dec 18, 2010 11:33 pm

Sounds to me like idle air motor. Could also be the throttle plate sensor. Would also check all the various plugs and grounds. The car is, after all, 18 or 19 years old.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

TBI acting up Empty
PostSubject: Re: TBI acting up   TBI acting up Icon_minitimeSun Dec 19, 2010 8:28 am

Are there any codes? It could be a number of things. Start with the codes.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

TBI acting up Empty
PostSubject: Re: TBI acting up   TBI acting up Icon_minitimeSun Dec 19, 2010 11:05 am

Bill actually the car is over 20 years old now. Built in Nov '90!!!!

As time permits (work is CRAZY right now), I'll get to checking everything.

Fred, the funny part is the SES light doesn't stay on and I tried to use the paper clip method and no codes showed up ( they clear themselves....)
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

TBI acting up Empty
PostSubject: Re: TBI acting up   TBI acting up Icon_minitimeSun Dec 19, 2010 1:53 pm

Could also be an intermitent connection to the O2 sensor. When the ECM can"t see the O2, it goes back into open loop. Could account for the high idle. My original 91 did this in the winter if it took more than a couple of minutes to light off the O2. Would trigger the SES light until the O2 started communicating.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

TBI acting up Empty
PostSubject: Re: TBI acting up   TBI acting up Icon_minitimeSun Dec 19, 2010 7:24 pm

thanks Bill, I'll check that out first. It's weird as it'll go on and off several times in a 15 minute drive.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

TBI acting up Empty
PostSubject: Re: TBI acting up   TBI acting up Icon_minitimeSun Dec 19, 2010 8:30 pm

You might have a cracked vacuum line. Try a couple drops of diswashing liquid in a pint of water...squirt it on any place there is a common vacuum. If the water is sucked up, you have found a leak. I say common vacuum because an intake manifold leak will probably not cause the variation in idle speed. Check your throttle body bolts too. They can come loose.

You could try disconnecting your EGR system, It could be another possible malfunction. Pull the line off of the EGR valve, and plug it.

The Haynes manual says the water temp sender could be another fault.

When did you last change your PCV valve?
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

TBI acting up Empty
PostSubject: Re: TBI acting up   TBI acting up Icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 11:46 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:

You might have a cracked vacuum line. Try a couple drops of diswashing liquid in a pint of water...squirt it on any place there is a common vacuum. If the water is sucked up, you have found a leak. I say common vacuum because an intake manifold leak will probably not cause the variation in idle speed. Check your throttle body bolts too. They can come loose.

You could try disconnecting your EGR system, It could be another possible malfunction. Pull the line off of the EGR valve, and plug it.

The Haynes manual says the water temp sender could be another fault.

When did you last change your PCV valve?
What PCV valve? It's been missing since I bought the car.

Didn't affect it on my 3300 mi+ romp to wagonfest so I doubt that's it!

Will try and figure out the other stuff later this week when I have a couple days off.
Back to top Go down
TylerW

TBI acting up Empty
PostSubject: Re: TBI acting up   TBI acting up Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 1:05 am

It's the TPS. My '91 did the exact same thing. If you pull the code it'll be something like "TPS voltage high" or out of range.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

TBI acting up Empty
PostSubject: Re: TBI acting up   TBI acting up Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 8:53 pm

thanks tyler, I'll start with that one. still no time to look at anything.....holidaze and work BAH!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

TBI acting up Empty
PostSubject: Re: TBI acting up   TBI acting up Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TBI acting up
Page 1 of 1