GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Draw-Tite trailer wiring

Go down 
+3
Krzdimond
DBeaSSt
81X11
7 posters
AuthorMessage
81X11

81X11

Draw-Tite trailer wiring Empty
PostSubject: Draw-Tite trailer wiring   Draw-Tite trailer wiring Icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 3:10 pm

Hi all. Dad bought me a set of Draw-Tite trailer wiring for Christmas for the Roadmaster....and threw away the box. I don't know how to install this. It looks like the runs to both tail lights. I want to hid the wiring as much as I can, just want to be able to access the plug under the bumper.

My car had a hidden-hitch on it when I bought it, but no wiring. Any tips are appreciated!!

-Mike

Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Draw-Tite trailer wiring   Draw-Tite trailer wiring Icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 4:41 pm

Plug in or cut and splice?

I connected mine to the left tail light for parking, and left stop/turn. Then ran the wire behind the carpet against the back (rear of car) of the third seat footwell to the right light for right stop/turn.

Mine doesn't hang under the bumper though, I run it under the tailgate and out when using, store in the third seat footwell when not.
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Draw-Tite trailer wiring   Draw-Tite trailer wiring Icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 7:19 pm

The kit will have to be cut and spliced if you want it to work. I ran the "universal" kit for a while and after numerous cussing sessions, I went ahead and got the kit. It is "plug and play" as you remove the cargo covers (left and right) and plug the harness into the vehicle, and the lights into the harness. Problem is when you want to run the wires under the car......

Poke a hole in the body JUST under (behind) the taillights.
cut the wires and run through the hole
solder the wires back together and seal the hole with BUTTLOADS of silicone.
run wires under the bumper and attach wherever you wish (I zip tied mine to the receiver)
Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

PostSubject: Re: Draw-Tite trailer wiring   Draw-Tite trailer wiring Icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 10:33 pm

I prefer the setup Mike has. Unless you are towing as regular as Robert The wire inside was the way to go.

One thing to remember with this method,is make sure when you close the tailgate,center the wire.

If it isn't when you make sharp turns,the wires may pull apart,
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: Draw-Tite trailer wiring   Draw-Tite trailer wiring Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 11:15 am

I always kept the wires inside. The trim piece that runs the width of the car along the back of the seat well has enough room to hide the wires and a little judicious trimming will allow you to run the working end of the harness out of the trim into the well when not in use and then just flip it out when you need it.

Bill
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Draw-Tite trailer wiring   Draw-Tite trailer wiring Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 5:27 pm

Thanks for all the comments. This is a plug-n-play harness, it has the correct ends on it already.

Sucks that I'll have to drill holes to run the wires under the car. Seems like if you ordered a tow package, they have made some kind of concession for the wiring install.

Have been taking down Christmas crap the past two days but hopefully can get on the wiring tomorrow.

I got a Christmas gift up in Dallas that has to be towed home this Sunday. Will let you all squirm and wonder....pics to follow.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Draw-Tite trailer wiring   Draw-Tite trailer wiring Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 1:46 am

Removed the rear cargo area side trim panels, plug on the left, plug on the right. Drilled a small hole for the ground, and ran the wires under the plastic trim in the 3rd seat well. Hides under the trim when not in use, when used I pull it out and close the tailgate on it.

Worked great! Thanks for the imput!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
jeffracer

jeffracer

PostSubject: Re: Draw-Tite trailer wiring   Draw-Tite trailer wiring Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 6:45 am

Did any RMW's without towing packages come with factory wiring for trailer lights?

I removed the left rear interior panel yesterday and was surprised to find a trailer wiring harness coiled up behind the panel. It looked factory to me.

This car does not have a trailer hitch and I can see no evidence of a hitch ever being installed/removed.
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Draw-Tite trailer wiring   Draw-Tite trailer wiring Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 8:41 am

No RMW's came with wiring, tow package or not. No hitches either. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

PostSubject: Re: Draw-Tite trailer wiring   Draw-Tite trailer wiring Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 2:27 am

Are you pulling a " mobile home" or just a trailer? Make sure that you have some of the power going to the trailer working only when the ignition is on. (i.e. a working fridge in the mobile home) I had to run a wire from the front (battery) just to get a constant power to the mobile home(i don't know the exact word for a mobile home being pulled, we call it a caravan), activated by the ignition switch, just to let the fridge work while we are driving. (does this make any sense guys? just trying to explain....)
Pete
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Draw-Tite trailer wiring   Draw-Tite trailer wiring Icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 2:51 am

I just got my new Draw Tite yesterday, and like Mike I don't know how to setup this. So thankful that I dug up this thread! Thanks for all the help Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Draw-Tite trailer wiring   Draw-Tite trailer wiring Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Draw-Tite trailer wiring
Page 1 of 1