GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Water pump seal tool

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
94X2

94X2

Water pump seal tool Empty
PostSubject: Water pump seal tool   Water pump seal tool Icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 3:20 pm

Does anyone know where I can get one? My water pump is doing ok (for now Shocked ) but I'm leaking some oil in the front of the motor again. Time to tear it all apart once more.

Jon
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Water pump seal tool   Water pump seal tool Icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 11:07 pm

Just use the end of a sharpie fat-tip marker to gently massage the lip seal open by making several passes around the perimeter to open it up a little, then polish the water pump drive coupler smooth and slide the seal over it. Rotate the coupler while sliding it into help it move through without rolling the lip seal over. Then use a socket to gently hammer the seal into place. This is what I did on my wagon and had no problems. Each of the two seals needs to face outward on its respective side.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Water pump seal tool   Water pump seal tool Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 11:26 am

Damn the sharpie penn is a great idea and its cheap too boot.I know that this helpful hint was for Jon but Thank You anyway.Always keep a sharpie in the car for emergencies and writing on idiots
windshields who dont know how to park anyhow.
Thanks for the TIP
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Water pump seal tool   Water pump seal tool Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 12:04 pm

I've used the sharpie lid once...be sure to soften the seal a bit by putting it in boiling water (and get 2 seals just in case)

That being said, the right tool is always the best route and I LOVE the one I got from Buffman. I wonder if he will make another batch if enough people bug him?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Water pump seal tool   Water pump seal tool Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 4:54 pm

Let me be clear - you don't stick the sharpie THROUGH the seal opening unless you happen to get that one rare particular marker that's the perfect size. Mine had a pocket clip so I couldn't use it that way. All I'm saying is that's a teflon seal and teflon seals can be gently resized to get them to fit onto wherever they need to be.
Back to top Go down
94X2

94X2

PostSubject: Re: Water pump seal tool   Water pump seal tool Icon_minitimeSun Feb 27, 2011 8:55 pm

Thanks Joel. I always wondered just how a sharpie cap would work with the clip on it. I'll see how this goes. Hopefully this time I'll get the leaks fixed myself without paying someone else and still having a leak.

Jon
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Water pump seal tool   Water pump seal tool Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 6:58 am

FYI...Buffman has another small batch for sale.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

(don't know if you can see that thread though)
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
94X2

94X2

PostSubject: Re: Water pump seal tool   Water pump seal tool Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 11:25 am

Thanks Chris. I sent him a pm.

Jon
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Water pump seal tool   Water pump seal tool Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Water pump seal tool
Page 1 of 1