HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Lots of Pics, Cars and Coffee Austin (Leander) TX, 3/6

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
81X11

PostSubject: Lots of Pics, Cars and Coffee Austin (Leander) TX, 3/6   Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:16 am

Hi All, Really good Cars and Coffee meet today. Gorgeous weather in the high 60's, big turn out. My friends Laird and Brian came in Laird's 67 Beetle, my friend Rob from work showed up, and my good friends Rich and Robbi drove all the way out from Fredericksburg in Rich's awesome '77 Can Am.

Got lots of good pics, but first a quick story-rant.

Took Dad with me and we got to the meet right at 11am. The show officially runs from 11-2, but most people start heading out after 1pm. Well seems today a lot of people got there early, and it was HOPPING and nearly full-up when we got there.

So at all the enterences there are show volunteers that let you in and tell you where to park. The guy that waved me in is really nice, knows my wagon, and put me in a prime spot right near the on of the enterences...cool. So I park next to a newer Hemi Charger, pop the hood, pull out the the chairs, and start to walk toward the main show.

Here's the fun part, this burly guy in an orange shirt comes jogging over and says HEY YOU CAN'T PARK THAT CAR HERE! I turn around, and at first think he's kidding, people love to kid about my wagon, and that's cool, the fact that it's funny is one of the reasons I love it..

Well one look tells me this guy isn't kidding. I ask what the problem is and he says this is THE MOPAR CORNER.... I turn around, and yes there are a lot of Mopars right up from my car, it's obviously a local club, but in front of my car is a red Corvette, behind it a Porsche 911, and up from that a 67 Riviera and a 2005 Pontiac GTO... I mean COME ON!

I tell the guy I was TOLD to park here. He asks by who. I point to the show volunteer, and he says WE'LL SEE ABOUT THAT! And jogs out to the show worker and starts pointing and waving his arms at me. HA!

I walk over and point blank ask the guy WHY he is being such a jerk, and point at the Vette, Porsche, GTO and Riviera all near my car and "Mopar Cormer...hehe". The guy is red-faced and mad, and God Bless the show volunteer. He looks at me, my car, and turns back to Mr. Mopar, and says "Do you have a car to park there?". Mopar says no...not right now, and the show volunteer tells the guy this is an open show, and can't we all just get along and enjoy it. HA! Made my day!

Before goofy could turn around Dad and I walked off to enjoy the show. People are crazy....

I was a little leery about leaving my wagon wagon alone with goofy there, but I went on and walked down the road and around the corner. A few minutes later the show volunteer who helped walked up to me and and apologized for the incident, told me he knew I was a regular at the event, was glad I came out, and that he had guys posted near my car to keep an eye on it. SO COOL!

There rest of the show was great, and I was one of the last to leave. Enjoy the pics folks!

Ready to go for a walk??

My Roady Wagon at the show

Aston Martin....shaken, not stirred

New Porsche Boxster Spyder

Interesting paint color on a 72 Cutlass Convertible

Chevelle and 442. Zoommm!

Sharp T-Bird and SS454 Silverado

Nice 67 Lemans from Alaska!

Buick Skylark GS...MEAN

Hot 70 Chevelle

How about a Porsche Panamera? These are a lot larger in person than in pics. Odd looking.

GORGEOUS 66 GTO ragtop. Tri-power 389 with a 4spd. NICE!

Opel GT

Porsche Club

Awesome Corvette Grand Sport. Some say new Vette's a "common" but I'd still LOVE one. ; )

Lotus Esprit V8

Awesome Imperial. I love the square steering wheel. HUGE car!

Nice modern Goat

Shelby's are just mean

Nicely modded Vette

Good group of newer Camaros. Green one was from New Jersey.

Modded GTO

Mean black Ferrari

Model A Ford

Sharp Cobra

The exotics were out in force today!

Raging Bulls

Lotus and Bentley

Aston Martin Rapid 4dr sedan.

Redheads

Maserati

Totally GORGEOUS Buick 8

I loved this, unrestored driver 53 Chevy parked between a Lambo and a Ferrari. Cars and Coffee is so cool. ; )

55 Chevy Bel Air

Corvair

Mini Cooper

Sharp little TR6

Acura NSX

C4's and classics

A flying Prowler

NICE Vette ragtop

Audi R8 V-10 Spyder. WOW!

This was interesting, a 2001 V-12 Twin-Turbo Mercedes S-coupe. Looked new. Well over $100K when it was new. Was for sale for $21k. I'd be terrified what it would cost to fix if it broke, but it was sure sharp!

Hot Camaro

Modded Monte Carlo SS

Lots of VW's, including Laird's yellow and white 67 Beetle. We were not planning on it but Laird and Brian ended up behind us on the way to the show. He decided to leave the Pacer at home and give the Bug some exercise this weekend. It's a sharp car!

Laird's 67 Beetle

My Dad was in love with this ragtop Vette. The Jag next to it was sharp too

Little bit of everything at these shows

My Dad would still love a new Vette. He drooled a lot... Ha!

Hot 57 was there

Clean 69 Mustang Fastback with Shelby tail lights

Mean modern Stangs

And some more classic Stangs

Chevelle, Fairlane Thunderbolt, and F-150 Lightning

302 Maverick Grabber with a stick for $6500

BMW 2002

6-cylinder powerglide Camaro

66 Nova project

I love love love 70's Trans Ams...especially with a stick in them

Hot Rod Chevy!

The military vehicle club was there

56 Bel Air

Another clean modern Goat. Black over red 6-spd. Nice! This guy was from Georgia

Sharp Cuda! Always loved this design

Really pretty 67 Riviera with a 430-4 in it

70 Challenger "Popcorn" was there

Mopar Corner

Mean Porsche

More Vettes

Yellow seems popular on these

Hot Trans Am

69 Firebird Ragtop

Neat story here, an older couple owns this Studebaker. They liked my wagon a lot, they'd had a 72 clamshell way back when. We got to talking and the woman has owned the Stude since it was new. Her father gave it to her when she was 17. Over 50 years, isn't that wild?? Amazing! Nice folks!

My wagon looks at home

Wanna go racing?

Cross-Fire 82 Corvette

Really sharp orange/gold 2006 GTO

Another C3, an '81 model

Mean Plymouth with a 440 under the hood

The Diesel Dodge Truck club was there

Sharp Nova

Another sharp 56 Chevy

This 70 Chevelle arrived late. Wild paint!

A 70's Celica....Mustang Clone. ; )

My friends Rich and Robbi drove all the way down from Fredericksburg in Rich's GORGEOUS 69K-original-mile '77 Pontiac Can Am. Sadly they got off late so they showed up after the bulk of the show had already left. Still we had a good visit and I got to sit in and drool on his 70's hot-rod Poncho. Neat car! Rich is the guy that bought my 89 Olds Custom Cruiser wagon and he's also the guy that ended up with my sharp little '93 S-10 pickup. I got my '88 T-top Cutlass from him. I think it's safe to say we have similar taste in cars!

Was a great show. Hope ya'll liked the pics!

-Mike

Back to top Go down
81X11

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Pics, Cars and Coffee Austin (Leander) TX, 3/6   Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:53 pm

That Can Am really did "feel" odd when I sat in it. I'm sure as a kid I rode in many of the GM "Colonnade" coupes, but it's been years since I was in one.

It's a very large car outside, but from inside, it feels a lot smaller than my 88 G-body Cutlass. The windows are not very tall, the roof is low, and because the doors are so thick the interior is not all that wide. Those doors by the way are MASSIVE, I'd forgotten how huge they were on these.

It's really is funny, even the view over the hood is not intimidating, the hood on the 79 Buick Limited seems much longer from the driver's seat. With the sculped fenders, domed hood, and shaker scoop, the Can Am's view over that hood from the driver's seat is very racy feeling, but not terribly long.

I mentioned this to Rich, and he laughed and agreed. He said these cars were styled first, and then GM told the engineers to "make everything fit inside". Practicality took a back seat to the swoopy styling. To prove it he took me back to the trunk, which has a small opening, and was nearly full with the spare tire, a small cooler, and some folding chairs. Funny stuff.

Rich does love the car. It loafs on the highway and eats hills, but to show how far technology has come, on his drive yesterday, and admittedly he was having fun in the hill country, he told me he average 9mpg. Ouch! ; )

Still it's a cool and rare old car!

-Mike

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Pics, Cars and Coffee Austin (Leander) TX, 3/6   Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:40 pm

Mike you never fail to please with great pics and descriptions.I guess there is an ass in every
group even carnuts.Some truly beautiful and rare cars and every one of them was driven to
this outdoor show.Not even sure if we could have a show like that up here as there are a bunch
of gangs and thieves around here that would ruin it for everybody else.Tell your dad to get that
vette now while he can still enjoy it.
Thanks
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Pics, Cars and Coffee Austin (Leander) TX, 3/6   Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:09 pm

That sexy modern GTO's color is called Brazen Orange. That's my 4th favorite GM color EVER.

Smile
Back to top Go down
81X11

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Pics, Cars and Coffee Austin (Leander) TX, 3/6   Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:03 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Mike you never fail to please with great pics and descriptions.I guess there is an ass in every
group even carnuts.Some truly beautiful and rare cars and every one of them was driven to
this outdoor show.Not even sure if we could have a show like that up here as there are a bunch
of gangs and thieves around here that would ruin it for everybody else.Tell your dad to get that
vette now while he can still enjoy it.
Thanks
Jim Gordon

Yeah I didn't let that one jerk spoil the show. One of the main reasons I like Cars and Coffee is that you see such a wide mix of vehicles.

I'm going to drive the Cutlass to the April show and Dad is going to drive the Roadmaster, and Rich said he'd drive out in the Cam Am again. We'll like up the big GM's in a row and shoo off the Mopar guys. Hahahaha!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
81X11

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Pics, Cars and Coffee Austin (Leander) TX, 3/6   Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:04 pm

Stingroo wrote:
That sexy modern GTO's color is called Brazen Orange. That's my 4th favorite GM color EVER.

Smile

I do really like the sleeper aspect of the new GTO's. 400hp and it looks like a Cavalier so you are not a ticket target on the highway, and the interior is large enough to be comfy in and very well done.

I've driven many of them, and am still on the lookout for a silver over red leather 6-spd 05-06. The '04 was quick, but the '05 and '06 are downright fast. My buddy Ben in New Jersey bought a Spice Red '06 GTO, with the 6spd. He's put a Borla exhaust on it, updated Pedders suspension, and the Hurst shifter update. It still looks stock, but it will flat run and sounds amazing.

He still only has 12K miles it. It only comes out of the garage on pretty summer days after any trace of salt is off the roads. I lived in New Jersey myself for six years and DO NOT miss putting my toys away all winter.

Such fun!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
81X11

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Pics, Cars and Coffee Austin (Leander) TX, 3/6   Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:12 pm

Rich was telling me about those Can Am's. Kinda neat. They were set up to be a limited production car anyway, but about 1/3 through the planned run the mold for the rear spoiler was damaged in a fire, and rather than pay to have a new mold made GM cancelled the car.

These were built off the LeMans Sport Coupe, but to "snazzy it up" GM used a Grand Prix dashboard and console. It's odd to see the basic door panels mixed with a Grand Prix dashboard.

Neat vehicles!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
GSBULLDOG

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Pics, Cars and Coffee Austin (Leander) TX, 3/6   Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:03 pm

THAT CARS AND COFFE LOOKS LIKE A REALLY NICE EVENT ! TELL YOUR DAD TO GET HIMSELF A BIB SO THE DROOL DOES NOT STAIN HIS SHIRT ! LOL , IT WORKS FOR ME . THANKS FOR THE COOL PICS ,SEEMS LIKE YOU HAD A BLAST .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Pics, Cars and Coffee Austin (Leander) TX, 3/6   Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:15 pm

Not sure when the first year was for the CanAm but I think that the first year was the best looking by far.Been so long since I have seen one " sure is a good looking coupe but I stiil
think the Grand Prix has it beat.
Take Care
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
81X11

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Pics, Cars and Coffee Austin (Leander) TX, 3/6   Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:06 am

Flasheroo wrote:
Not sure when the first year was for the CanAm but I think that the first year was the best looking by far.Been so long since I have seen one " sure is a good looking coupe but I stiil
think the Grand Prix has it beat.
Take Care
Jim Gordon

The Can Am was a one-year only model, 1977. The Grand Am was similar, built from 73-75 in both coupe and sedan. The Grand Am didn't get the shaker hood but the front ends were pointy and body color plastic.

http://www.abodysite.com/73hisbook.html
Back to top Go down
81X11

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Pics, Cars and Coffee Austin (Leander) TX, 3/6   Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:06 pm

Yeah I didn't let that one jerk spoil the show. One of the main reasons I like Cars and Coffee is that you see such a wide mix of vehicles.

-Mike[/quote]

Oh I just remembered one more quickie from this show. Dad and I set up chairs under a tree a bit behind the Roady and were watching people's reactions to my car. A young family walked up, Mom, Dad and two kids. The kid, about 6-7, liked the wood on my car and I heard him ask his Dad, who looked to be in his late 20's, what kind of car it was.

His Dad looked down and said "It's a Ford Taurus station wagon".

It took all my energy not to jump up out of my chair. My father sitting next to me got a good laugh out of that and ribbed me about it the rest of the day....

Such fun...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Pics, Cars and Coffee Austin (Leander) TX, 3/6   Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:27 pm

Ergh. The only solution to this is you need to make up one of those big sheets that people bring to shows that detail what the car is and put it up under your hood.

Smile
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Pics, Cars and Coffee Austin (Leander) TX, 3/6   Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:13 am

my buddy had a Can AM exactly like that one. Got drunk wrapped a phone pole with it and got away with the DUI by telling the cop his girlfriend aborted his baby and crying. He was such a BS artist the cop bought it. Not that I'm condoning what he did, but for a drunk it was pretty quick thinking. I loved that car too it was cool and the girls loved it at my high school.
Back to top Go down
81X11

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Pics, Cars and Coffee Austin (Leander) TX, 3/6   Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:44 am

Sprocket wrote:
my buddy had a Can AM exactly like that one. Got drunk wrapped a phone pole with it and got away with the DUI by telling the cop his girlfriend aborted his baby and crying. He was such a BS artist the cop bought it. Not that I'm condoning what he did, but for a drunk it was pretty quick thinking. I loved that car too it was cool and the girls loved it at my high school.

My father says it's the ugliest car Pontiac made until the Aztek came out. Hahahahahaha! Thankfully he didn't say that in front of Rich! I think it's very cool, cars of the 70's get no respect!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lots of Pics, Cars and Coffee Austin (Leander) TX, 3/6   

Back to top Go down

Lots of Pics, Cars and Coffee Austin (Leander) TX, 3/6
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1