GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

$5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!!

Go down 
+11
Sprocket
BigBlackBeaSSt
a1awind
Krzdimond
brokecello
94Woody
94X2
95BRMW
81X11
Fred Kiehl
ModernMuscleHead
15 posters
AuthorMessage
ModernMuscleHead

ModernMuscleHead

$5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!! Empty
PostSubject: $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!!   $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 8:06 am

So I was watching GMA with my wife ( her show not mine ) and they are talking about $5 a gallon gas again . This might be bad for us, might be good for us. If it does get to $5 a gallon anything with a V8 and that doesn't get at least 35 MPG should be real real cheap to buy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.midmichiganmodernmuslce.com

PostSubject: Re: $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!!   $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 8:32 am

All they do is talk. Right now regular in FL is $3.45, and it's gone down 10 cents in the last week.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!!   $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 8:47 am

If you own your car and are not making payments, $5 a gallon is not that scary. When you are making payments, it can be a deal breaker. If you own your car, you don't have to carry collision or comp insurance, which also keeps the cost down. I own both of mine, and I can get by even with $5 a gallon gas.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!!   $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 8:49 am

Yep. I mean, nobody LIKES it, but there are much worse things in the world. I'd rather the price of gas double than say, beef or something.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!!   $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 9:03 am

It's dropped 10 cents here too over the past two weeks, we're at $3.31.

It's all Wall Street greed and speculation. There is plenty of oil out there.

I refuse to get all fired up. If it happens, I'm going to take full advantage of it.

If gas spikes again I'm planning to buy my wife a newer Suburban when the prices on those crash again like they did in 2008, and I'll ride my motorcycle more until the gas prices come back down again. Once they come down we'll have a nice new Burb for trips. Just wish I'd done this in '08 when the last batch of Burbs got traded in on Prius turds.

Got to look for the positive in things folks!

-Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!!   $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 9:05 am

LT1 wagon hunt would be SO ON. You have no idea. lol
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!!   $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 9:58 am

If gas did somehow get up to that price and wagons prices bottomed, I would be more concerned about how many wagons I would have to buy at insanely low prices!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!!   $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 10:00 am

Just please no more Cash for Clunker nightmare programs....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzz4DjUnPJk - 94 Caprice Wagon 60K miles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDybltTZBFQ - Impala SS
Back to top Go down
ModernMuscleHead

ModernMuscleHead

PostSubject: Re: $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!!   $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 11:28 am

I agree with most of you on all this stuff. I'd be on a buying spree. As far as insurance goes I own all my stuff but still carry full coverage because I don't want to just loose my investment if some idiot hits me. It's fine on my Trans Am because I have collector car insurance so I get and Agreed value of $12,000 for $500 a year. When gas goes up everything goes up though. Milk has gone up 40 cents a gallon here in Michigan since January and the price of beef is up about 20 cents a pound. There are other things too. Everything that's carried by truck, train or plane will go up. We need to stop going on speculation and go on supply and demand. Oil companies and investor greed help make them Billions in profits. We need to do something and Cash for Clunkers is not the idea at all. So many good cars went to the crusher. I even saw a couple of Grand Nationals and Monte Carlo SS's go that way. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
94X2

94X2

PostSubject: Re: $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!!   $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 12:09 pm

I definately don't want to see gas go up. Here it's $3.48 - $3.51/gal right now. When I started this job, it was $2.49/gal. I burn 20 gals a day. So now it's costing me $100.00 a week more. I get a fuel surcharge based on average prices that helps but I'm still going backwards.

On a funny note, last week I saw a woman put .25 cents in a windstar. It looked like she dug thru the van for change to pay that. I almost offered to buy her a few dollars worth of gas but there was a pretty shady looking character sitting in the van. After she left I looked at the pump and she got .07 gals. Wonder if that was enough to start the van?

Jon

Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!!   $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 12:13 pm

Prices for everything have always been going up and always will. Ask your grandparents what they could get for a quarter when they were 10.

Back to top Go down
ModernMuscleHead

ModernMuscleHead

PostSubject: Re: $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!!   $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 12:15 pm

Well at least she didn't commit a drive off. That's one thing that goes along with higher prices is more gas theft. I haven't gotten gas in 2 days but it was $3.65 a gallon here in Michigan a few days ago. That's for 87 Octane and come summer I only run 93 in my Trans Am. I like to run premium in the Wagon too, but it's getting expensive.
Back to top Go down
ModernMuscleHead

ModernMuscleHead

PostSubject: Re: $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!!   $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 12:19 pm

Well I understand that prices go up, and without turning this into a Political Debate I'll just say that when all that hope and change was promised the national average for a gallon of regular unleaded was $1.89 a gallon it's now nearly doubled to $3.47 a gallon. If things go up a nickel a year or something it's inflation, this is gouging. Retirees on Social Security haven't gotten a raise in two years because our President and his people say that there has been no inflation to base a cost of living increase on. I'm just trying to see how they go about figuring inflation. If it's based on the housing market then there is none because people are still going into foreclosure left and right driving the prices down, but everything else is going through the roof.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!!   $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 6:03 pm

Stingroo wrote:
I'd rather the price of gas double than say, beef or something.

That would be tragic...

$5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!! 082207_7

Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!!   $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 8:15 pm

Sheesh, I'm surprised there are so many of you out there that buy gas....

$5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!! 100_0905
Back to top Go down
a1awind

a1awind

PostSubject: Re: $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!!   $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 9:25 pm

Stingroo wrote:
Yep. I mean, nobody LIKES it, but there are much worse things in the world. I'd rather the price of gas double than say, beef or something.

MEAT IS MURDER!!!!!
TASTY TASTY MURDER!!!!
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!!   $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 9:56 pm

94X2 wrote:
I definately don't want to see gas go up. Here it's $3.48 - $3.51/gal right now. When I started this job, it was $2.49/gal. I burn 20 gals a day. So now it's costing me $100.00 a week more. I get a fuel surcharge based on average prices that helps but I'm still going backwards.

On a funny note, last week I saw a woman put .25 cents in a windstar. It looked like she dug thru the van for change to pay that. I almost offered to buy her a few dollars worth of gas but there was a pretty shady looking character sitting in the van. After she left I looked at the pump and she got .07 gals. Wonder if that was enough to start the van?

Jon

I am with you Jon. As you know I am in the same boat. I put between 2 and 3 tanks of gas a week through the old girl. That works about to be $70-$160 (@ $3.5/gal) a week in fuel costs. Now I do get the federal rate (.51) per mile. If you do the math the difference between 20 mpg (current mileage) and 40 mpg (chevy Cruze). I would halve those costs. That would come to $35-$80 per week in savings. So an average of $250 per month. Add the up-charge on the insurance I would have to buy a car for $225 per month. Even a 3 year old car amortized over 4 years would not get me anywhere near that.

I do carry collision on the wagon. It cost about $90 for $500 deductible. That is a no brain'r for as many idiots that I drive around in a week!!

Now I down a Saturn Vue outright. It gets about 25 mpg and would save em a bunch. But if I ad the price of the chiropractor to straighten out my back once or twice a week after sitting in those seats for that many miles the wagon wins again. Currently looking for a set of Bonnnie-like seats for it. Maybe that will be the way to get the wagon to last longer. Only down side is my wife gets to drive the wagon (and would rather not) and I drive the Vue (and would rather not!!).

My .02............

The wagon wins again!!!

a1awind wrote:
Stingroo wrote:

MEAT IS MURDER!!!!!
TASTY TASTY MURDER!!!!

I wish I had pictures of the 2 yes 2 buffalo carcasses, skinned and quartered, on the back of the trailer being pulled be the wagon on the way to the butchers. Boy that was good meat. Took the better part of 5 hours for 4 or 5 guys to gut and skin both of them though. Well worth it. Some of the best steaks I have ever had!!.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!!   $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!! Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 7:44 am

I'm glad I'm driving a company vehicle now that I'm doing 100 miles a day!
On the other hand the SES light is on in the 94 RMW and the mileage my wife informed me is about 12 right now Shocked going to have to get on that right after Daytona
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!!   $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!! Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 7:54 am

Heck, up until a couple of weeks ago I was getting about 10 combined.

It's a wonder what a tuneup can do. lol
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!!   $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!! Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 8:06 am

a1awind wrote:
Stingroo wrote:

MEAT IS MURDER!!!!!
TASTY TASTY MURDER!!!!

$5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!! Veg
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!!   $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!! Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 10:19 am

The people who think they are prophetic when they say "Gas will be $5, 6, 10 a gallon soon, mark my words!" have not done any homework on this.

As Lou Dobbs said, the American market cannot sustain $5+ a gallon gas. It will slow the economy, which will reduce demand, which will cause gas prices to fall. It happened in 2008, it can and will happen again.
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!!   $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!! Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 1:00 pm

Your certainly correct in the long term. Energy prices are directly effected by cost of living constraints. That doesn't mean they won't try us on for size over the short term.

Currently here in Canuck land, we are paying $1.22/liter or about $4.56/US gallon. Don't know what generation your from, but to put things into perspective, when I first started driving in the late 60s, I was paying 41.9 cents/IMP gallon. That represented about 1/4 of and hour (15 minutes) for the average earner. Currently the average here is between $30.00 to $35.00 an hour making the cost of gas about 9 1/2 minutes. Still ahead of the game.

$5.00/US gallon equates into $1.32/liter or about 11 minutes/per IMP gallon. It would have to reach $1.92/liter ($7.20/US gallon) to hit the cost during the 60s. Now the cost of over the road diesel and home heating fuel is another thing altogether and will affect everthing we do. This has to be addressed.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!!   $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!! Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 5:04 pm

Like the spikes after Katrina in '05 this will pass. After a couple months, the Middle East will stabilize, even a bit. Oil production will go back to normal and the scaremongers will have made enough money until the next manufactured crisis. As for $5/gal. I call bullshit. Gas has gone down twice in two days here. From 3.45 to 3.41 and now down to 3.35.
Back to top Go down
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

PostSubject: Re: $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!!   $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!! Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 12:40 pm

Well, there is a sad little place on this world where gas is around $8 a gallon. (and it's where i live) On the bright side, i always fill her up for $ 25 Very Happy
Pete
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!!   $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!! Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 8:38 pm

Bill, you make a good (albeit indirect) point about the corrosive effects of inflation. As near as I can figure, somebody somewhere did a study that found that inflation tends to increase employment and economic growth. That has since been debunked when more intensive studies showed that UNEXPECTED inflation produces this. Inflation by itself merely robs people of the value of cash savings.

But we can certainly keep griping about gas...
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!!   $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 12:16 am

sherlock9c1 wrote:
Bill, you make a good (albeit indirect) point about the corrosive effects of inflation. As near as I can figure, somebody somewhere did a study that found that inflation tends to increase employment and economic growth. That has since been debunked when more intensive studies showed that UNEXPECTED inflation produces this. Inflation by itself merely robs people of the value of cash savings.

But we can certainly keep griping about gas...

If you have a few nights to waste, google "margin reserve banking". Be prepared for a pile of conspiracy stuff, but buried in there is alot of information of our current state of affairs. Make sure your BS sensor is wound right up.

The corner stone of the prosperity and expansion of the past 50 years was the change over from gold backed currencies to floating currencies, essentially allowing the financial industry to "print their own money". This all works as long as you have expansion (read inflation).

The problem the Western world now faces is we have reached effective market saturation. There is only so many TVs, computers, vacuum cleaners and cars that the average household can consume. Without an expanding market the whole thing comes down like a stack of cards. That along with a shrinking population is probably the root cause of our current problems.

The issue I see is if the world economies collapse because of this, the results will make the "thirties" seem like a walk in the park. Enjoy it while it lasts. I just hope that it stays together long enough to find a viable solution.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!!   $5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

$5 a Gallon gas predictions AGAIN !!!
Page 1 of 1