GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Gas Tank Straps? Who's you're buddy?

Go down 
+5
Cadet57
toomanytoyz
Nick Danger
lornejay1
81X11
9 posters
AuthorMessage
81X11

81X11

Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? Empty
PostSubject: Gas Tank Straps? Who's you're buddy?   Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 2:22 pm

So I had to take my wife to the airport at lunch. She's flying to exotic Totowa New Jersey for a week of training at a conference for her work. She's excited, they're planning to go into NYC a few times in the evenings. I hope I see her again......

I dropped her off at the airport in South Austin, pulled out from the terminal....sunshine, 68 degrees....bluebonnets along the highway....and Wrench-A-Part salvage less than 4 miles away.. (ha!) I didn't get to go this past Saturday like I'd planned, got sucked into housework. No time like the present!

I didn't have my tools with me, but always keep an adjustable wrench and some screwdrivers in the rear side pocket. Ok then. So I went out into the yard...in my work clothes...thankfully that means nice jeans and a polo shirt..but still, I was the cleanest one there.

SO here we go gang!

Ok here's a really good hood for the $350 Custom Cruiser. Compound and wax it and there ya go!
They want $30 for it with a $2 core. Hard to pass that up!
Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? MonYardRun001
Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? MonYardRun002

95 Roady Sedan with non-cracked blue low door panels
Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? MonYardRun003
Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? MonYardRun005
Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? MonYardRun006

And a homeboy hot-rod
Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? MonYardRun004

Beretta GTU
Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? MonYardRun013

Scored all the GS emblems off this one
Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? MonYardRun014
Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? MonYardRun029

RS Camaro
Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? MonYardRun015

94 Roady with easy-access dual electric fans.
Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? MonYardRun017
Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? MonYardRun016

For F-body fans, clean, straight, and rust-free but plain 90 Firebird. In the for sale section for $1600obo
Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? MonYardRun019
Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? MonYardRun020
Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? MonYardRun021

And this is for all you guys up in the cold salty north. I got under the back of this blue Roady wagon, in my work clothes, and pulled the tank straps with an adjustable wrench and my fingers. The straps are dusty but totally rust-fee. God Bless Texas! Who wants them? I paid $6.33 for them...HA!
Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? MonYardRun010
Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? MonYardRun009
Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? MonYardRun008
Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? MonYardRun027
Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? MonYardRun028

Sadly I struck out on 95-96 Roady radio mounts....sorry about that!

Oh and the drive back to work was sure nice too. All the bluebonnets are coming up. Gotta love spring!
Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? MonYardRun022
Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? MonYardRun025
Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? MonYardRun026

Back to work!

-Mike

Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

PostSubject: Re: Gas Tank Straps? Who's you're buddy?   Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 3:12 pm

Mike, I will pay good money for them.

Lorne.
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: Gas Tank Straps? Who's you're buddy?   Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 3:39 pm

Thanks for checking for radio mounts. I also still want a clean RMW grille for a spare.
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Gas Tank Straps? Who's you're buddy?   Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 4:30 pm

lornejay1 wrote:

Mike, I will pay good money for them.

Lorne.

Sorry Lorne, got pinged already on these (lightning fast..WOW!) but will keep an eye out for more.

If I'd had a socket set these would have been EASY to remove. Will keep that in mind for next time I see a wagon.

As for "good money", I sold them for what I paid for them, plus shipping. I'm not trying to make a buck off you guys, just trying to help out and keep these cars on the road.

Thanks again though! Next set I grab is yours!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Gas Tank Straps? Who's you're buddy?   Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 4:53 pm

Nick Danger wrote:
Thanks for checking for radio mounts. I also still want a clean RMW grille for a spare.

I sold Jim the grill my buddy Laird found at the yard in Florida. I still have the one I found locally, and it's not broken, but has a lot of road-pecks in it. I was thinking I might sand it, get some filler, and try painting it white to match my wagon, just to see what it looked like.

At the moment it's in the trunk of the GTO. I'd sell it to you, but if I were you I'd hold out for a better one.

I'm kinda shocked you can't find one locally. New Mexico parts tend to be really nice. Don't you have a few yards there?

-Mike
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Gas Tank Straps? Who's you're buddy?   Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 5:14 pm

Sell 'em to Lorne... I want them too, but I'm a cheap bastid. Wink
Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

PostSubject: Re: Gas Tank Straps? Who's you're buddy?   Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 5:47 pm

Thanks Bill.

Mike it is up to you, He asked first.

All I know is my friend here who dropped my tank twice for the sending unit told me mine are junk,and should be replaced. I am just planning ahead,so if you are able to get more,I can wait.

I planned on offering you $50,and still will for good ones in the future.

Thanks,both of you.

I also noticed the springs on that wagon.

My 96 Hearse has the load level and it seems to be pumping up more than usual.I can only assume it has stock Cadilac sedan springs and I was planning on putting the ones from my wagon in.

Since the wagon ones are heavier,that might be all I need and could remove the air system.

Anyway,those sure look clean,and if possible,Keep me in mind if you are back there or see others.

Lorne.

Last edited by lornejay1 on Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Gas Tank Straps? Who's you're buddy?   Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 5:49 pm

lornejay1 wrote:

Thanks Bill.

Mike it is up to you, He asked first.

All I know is my friend here who dropped my tank twice for the sending unit told me mine are junk,and should be replaced. I am just planning ahead,so if you are able to get more,I can wait.

I planned on offering you $50,and still will for good ones in the future.

Thanks,both of you.

I'll find you one. Twist my arm to go yarding!

I have not been down to the San Antonio yards in a few months. Maybe Sunday I can sneak off!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gas Tank Straps? Who's you're buddy?   Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 5:56 pm

Hey Mike when you get back to that JY I need that passenger side rear corner piece of trim.Its already has the black molding removed.No big rush as lon g as I have it by tomorrow before lunch.Seriously if you remember to pic it up the
next time that would be great.
Thank You
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gas Tank Straps? Who's you're buddy?   Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 6:00 pm

Hey Lorne I think Fred has a set of straps for $75 but I dont remember if thats shipped or not.
I thought you didnt let your wagons go out in the winter.I guess if you need the wagons for a funeral the weather is irrelavent.
Take Care
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

PostSubject: Re: Gas Tank Straps? Who's you're buddy?   Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 6:33 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Hey Lorne I think Fred has a set of straps for $75 but I dont remember if thats shipped or not.
I thought you didnt let your wagons go out in the winter.I guess if you need the wagons for a funeral the weather is irrelavent.
Take Care
Jim Gordon

My 95 caprice is a 1a2 with over 250 thousand miles on it,so the tank straps have seen better days.

I have less than 6 thousand on thne car since it was restored in 2005.

In fact the last time it was driven was to Tom's Event in the fall of 2009. affraid

Last edited by lornejay1 on Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Gas Tank Straps? Who's you're buddy?   Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 6:47 pm

lornejay1 wrote:

This is for the nasty Days.

I'm so sorry Lorne. Wink

Then again, its better than our Venture. Good lord that thing is a turd.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gas Tank Straps? Who's you're buddy?   Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 7:04 pm

Is that one of the COOL minivans that Toyota was advertising last year?They are as good
looking as any minivan out there.My neighbor bought the new 4cyl Sienna last year and I
took it out for a short drive.Was expecting it to be a dog but was pleasantly surprised at the
performance.Its got the 6 spd auto and it really keeps that big 4 in the meaty part of its torque band.Definitely not a rocket but very quiet and composed on the road at 60 or so.
His has the dark blue metallic paint and its gorgeous.
Take Care Lorne
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: Gas Tank Straps? Who's you're buddy?   Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 11:01 pm

lornejay1 wrote:
I also noticed the springs on that wagon.

My 96 Hearse has the load level and it seems to be pumping up more than usual.I can only assume it has stock Cadilac sedan springs and I was planning on putting the ones from my wagon in.

Since the wagon ones are heavier,that might be all I need and could remove the air system.

Anyway,those sure look clean,and if possible,Keep me in mind if you are back there or see others.

Lorne.

Lorne:

Don't think you should loose the air. Even the stiffest springs will sag under weight. The air keeps everything nice and level. Your local auto parts store should have a book for the spring companies listing them by size, loaded height, free height and weight at loaded height. Don't let them sell you a "variable rate spring". their way too soft at normal ride height, meaning the airshocks do all the work. If you still have the build sheet on the car there should be an RPO code for the rear springs, or the hearse assembler may have spec'd a spring.

Ended up using the same rear springs as the heavy duty Roadmaster sedan on the Caddy. Worked great with the trailer, and unloaded, the compressor rarely if ever turns on. They were the ones with the highest load rating for the spec'd ride height.

Use the auto parts book and the specifications for the original spring and you should be allright. IMHO the box and it's contents that go into the back of your car would probably max out a set of wagon springs. At least the front of the car would be headed in the right direction for your passengers final destination....up.

Bill
Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

PostSubject: Re: Gas Tank Straps? Who's you're buddy?   Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 11:19 pm

Thanks Bill. I always forget you are a Caddy guru.

I must have an air leak,and the compressor is quite noisy.

It never fails to kick in when We are standing silently at graveside service.

I don't want to get into major money for a car that is my winter hearse,so I figured the wagon springs would be an easy fix.

Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: Gas Tank Straps? Who's you're buddy?   Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 11:39 pm

81X11 wrote:
Nick Danger wrote:

I sold Jim the grill my buddy Laird found at the yard in Florida. I still have the one I found locally, and it's not broken, but has a lot of road-pecks in it. I was thinking I might sand it, get some filler, and try painting it white to match my wagon, just to see what it looked like.

At the moment it's in the trunk of the GTO. I'd sell it to you, but if I were you I'd hold out for a better one.

I'm kinda shocked you can't find one locally. New Mexico parts tend to be really nice. Don't you have a few yards there?

-Mike

I'm in no hurry.

There hasn't been a Roadmaster in the Albuquerque Pull and Pay since December. I haven't checked the other yards, because the last time I went to them, they wanted 50% of dealer retail. That would be a pile of money for a grille. Wagons are rare in New Mexico anyway. Now, if I were looking for truck parts . . .
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Gas Tank Straps? Who's you're buddy?   Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 8:54 am

lornejay1 wrote:

I don't want to get into major money for a car that is my winter hearse,so I figured the wagon springs would be an easy fix.

Someone hooked the power wire for the compressor to "hot in run" instead of "hot at all times", and eliminated the running when the car was turned off. It did not seem like a major undertaking. Just find a circuit with the same amp fuse, and tap into it.

I still have a nice set of JY fresh (dirty) wagon tank straps. $75 shipped anywhere in the US. No rust.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gas Tank Straps? Who's you're buddy?   Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 8:58 am

Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Gas Tank Straps? Who's you're buddy?   Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 9:50 am

Shoot since they sell those straps for $5 each plus tax at Wrech-A-Part I may go into business if I can get $75 for them. I'll be checking the yard for wagons more often.

Anyone know iff the 77-90 wagons use the same straps? They have that 77 Caprice wagon and an '87 Olds wagon out there now.

Wonder what an Ebay store will cost me to open?? Ha!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
occupant

occupant

PostSubject: Re: Gas Tank Straps? Who's you're buddy?   Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 10:51 am

Nope.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1036943&parttype=10321&partkey=2547292&a=FRc1036943k2547292-5749623

They have two separate straps, not the N-shaped 3-piece one.

Wagons and sedans seem different. I can't find repop wagon ones but the sedan ones are 3-piece, N-shaped, maybe they are the same and the interchanges these parts places use are not mentioning it?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1037326&parttype=10321

Spectra ST186. IDK...
Back to top Go down
http://mybeaterworld.com

PostSubject: Re: Gas Tank Straps? Who's you're buddy?   Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 10:56 am

Sedan and wagon straps are different, and I think the Spectra ones have been discussed ad nauseum. They don't seem to know when (if) they'll ever produce them.

Would be nice though.
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: Gas Tank Straps? Who's you're buddy?   Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 11:44 am

lornejay1 wrote:

Lorne:

Chased the same problem on mine for close to 6 months. Check the little 8 cent "O" ring between the compressor and the air dryer. Replaced mine and now I'm good for another 10 years (as soon as I fix the wiring up there).

Bill
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Gas Tank Straps? Who's you're buddy?   Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 8:23 pm

81X11 wrote:

I'm not trying to make a buck off you guys, just trying to help out and keep these cars on the road.!

-Mike

81X11 wrote:
Shoot since they sell those straps for $5 each plus tax at Wrech-A-Part I may go into business if I can get $75 for them. I'll be checking the yard for wagons more often.

-Mike

philanthropist to capitalist, cost to convert? $75.00. What a Face

nick

Back to top Go down
occupant

occupant

PostSubject: Re: Gas Tank Straps? Who's you're buddy?   Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 8:51 pm

That is how I felt when I was selling the parts from the Gran Torino wagon I had two years back. I offered it up on the forums, one guy came down and stripped off quite a bit for his restoration (trim, weatherstripping, third row seat, dash bits, door panel bits), paid $150-$200 over the course of 2-3 trips. I spent $220 on the car and got the brake drums and a few other brake bits for my sedan. So I made my money back. Then I put up a few bits on eBay and got good money for them (about $110). Then I sold the steering column and the transmission for decent money on CL (about $180).

Had I been able to keep the car I was going to strip the front clip, all 4 doors, all the glass, etc. Had several people contact me about the tailgate and its window but no one made the trip to come get anything. So it went to the crusher intact when my wife got fed up from looking at it. I gave the forum members, CL, eBay, etc about 60 days notice before I had it hauled off for $100. I still have a box full of small parts and I'll consume those in time. Still have the header panel, grille, surround, and headlight bezels, too. Wish I had kept the right fender, mine is dented up pretty good.

Next time I buy a vehicle to strip for parts, it's going to be a bare shell before I let it go. I probably gave away $800-$1000 in parts when I had it hauled off. That front clip, the bumpers, the wagon-specific glass, all could have brought money in time or been VERY useful to me if I get a Torino/LTDII wagon someday.
Back to top Go down
http://mybeaterworld.com

PostSubject: Re: Gas Tank Straps? Who's you're buddy?   Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 10:08 pm

That's how I felt when I parted the Fleetwood I had. I sold the rear bumper for $300 cash, the factory radio for $100, the grille for $150, and some chrome trim for about $200. A guy came up interested in the motor/trans but I didn't have tools to pull it so I sold him the whole car for $500. I should have told him to come get them and waited... I could have sold so much more off of it.

Ah well. It financed the wagon either way.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Gas Tank Straps? Who's you're buddy?   Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 12:11 am

phantom 309 wrote:
81X11 wrote:

I'm not trying to make a buck off you guys, just trying to help out and keep these cars on the road.!

-Mike

81X11 wrote:

-Mike

philanthropist to capitalist, cost to convert? $75.00. What a Face

nick

Hahahahahaha! YES SIR! Twisted Evil

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gas Tank Straps? Who's you're buddy?   Gas Tank Straps?   Who's you're buddy? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gas Tank Straps? Who's you're buddy?
Page 1 of 1