GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Oil adapter replace gone wrong part deau

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Sprocket

Sprocket

Oil adapter replace gone wrong part deau Empty
PostSubject: Oil adapter replace gone wrong part deau   Oil adapter replace gone wrong part deau Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 8:36 pm

So those who recall this thread from about a month ago, I'm back and PO'ed.

After swapping out the gasket and rolling the O-ring and having to do it again the following day, now it's leaking again maybe 1000 miles later WTF? It was good for a couple weeks.

I was meticulous the second time making doubly sure it was super clean and nice and it was nice and dry for two weeks....then a drip....now a quart every 100 miles!

When I removed the adapter I had to remove the oil cooler lines so I could remove the adapter. I've now replaced those gaskets too and that's dry bu it's a steady stream at the block again.

I unfortunately pinched the oil cooler lines with the wrench as I couldn't use a socket cuz the damn wires for the oil pan sensor ran right in front of the nut on the cooler lines and I couldn't get the sensor plug out and was afraid to break it. Turning the open end wrench pinched the oil cooler line maybe 20%

Would this be enough back pressure to cause the leak?

Do I even need the oil cooler as I'm not towing with the car (factory tow pack). Do the Non tow pack cars have an oil cooler? I've only seen tow pack and 9C1s....

I know there is an adapter to go with out the oil cooler ala gen I & II type set up..... I'm over this as I've been under there 4 times now!
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Oil adapter replace gone wrong part deau   Oil adapter replace gone wrong part deau Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 8:44 pm

You don't need the cooler. I went to the junk yard and grabbed an old school filter adapter. Installed it and can now use the larger oil filter like a gen 1 SBC. My adapter is off a TBI pickup engine.

Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Oil adapter replace gone wrong part deau   Oil adapter replace gone wrong part deau Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 9:30 pm

Im running the L99/Vette oil filter adapter....no issues. I hate those leaky oil cooler lines.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Oil adapter replace gone wrong part deau   Oil adapter replace gone wrong part deau Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 9:44 pm

Nothing is as frustrating as having to fix the same issue numerous times. Good luck and hope the 3rd times the charm!

-Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oil adapter replace gone wrong part deau   Oil adapter replace gone wrong part deau Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 10:09 pm

Hmmm... interesting.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Oil adapter replace gone wrong part deau   Oil adapter replace gone wrong part deau Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 10:29 pm

brokecello wrote:

Im running the L99/Vette oil filter adapter....no issues. I hate those leaky oil cooler lines.

Add Roadmaster sedan to that list cause I just grabbed one from PaP. I was gonna offer him one but it still requires the gasket and o-ring that is giving him fits Sad
Back to top Go down
94X2

94X2

PostSubject: Re: Oil adapter replace gone wrong part deau   Oil adapter replace gone wrong part deau Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 3:35 pm

I had to replace mine twice. The second time I used the felpro gasket and o-ring that came with the oil pan gasket set since that was leaking at the back corner right above the adapter Rolling Eyes Have you made sure it's not the pan gasket? I found out by removing the inspection cover and with a flashlight I could see where it was coming out of the pan.

Jon
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Oil adapter replace gone wrong part deau   Oil adapter replace gone wrong part deau Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2011 6:28 pm

Since I drive the company truck all week, my wife's been in Grimace and the RMW has been sidelined except for beer runs while she is out Smile. I haven't gotten around to ordering an adapter yet but Jon intrigues me with his post.

When I get under there, I see the oil coming out at the rear of where the adapter bolts up into the block (by the back bolt).....I took the tranny dust cover off too. Have to go look at the pan gasket closely....that pan gasket is OEM and 194K old...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oil adapter replace gone wrong part deau   Oil adapter replace gone wrong part deau Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oil adapter replace gone wrong part deau
Page 1 of 1