GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Made some changes

Go down 
+20
Big Wagon Guy
200OZ
Gastt
Sprocket
SWT SS
sherlock9c1
mtrhead79
MarcinV8
toomanytoyz
phantom 309
1993 Roady-man
Nick Danger
brokecello
81X11
ModernMuscleHead
BigBlackBeaSSt
Cadet57
silverfox103
lornejay1
JaySS
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
ProTools4

Made some changes - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Made some changes   Made some changes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 12:35 am

looks great
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Made some changes   Made some changes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 1:20 am

Is that coil on plug designed to eliminate the opti-spark and did you notice a big difference in performance?Very impressive wagon Jay although everything you work on becomes impressive after you are done.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Made some changes   Made some changes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 9:53 am

Great looking car! Love the new wheels and all the tasterful mods! Keep the pics and updates coming!
Back to top Go down
JaySS
Admin
JaySS

PostSubject: Re: Made some changes   Made some changes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2014 8:52 pm

silverfox103 wrote:
What about the roof?Shocked

Made some changes - Page 2 IMG_3007_zps4770b21f

Carbon fiber vinyl wrap to the rescue...

- J

Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Made some changes   Made some changes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2014 11:56 pm

my friend did the same thing to his car when the clear coat started lifting
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Made some changes   Made some changes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 9:33 am

Interesting treatment on the roof. Love the underhood! The wheels look fantastic too.

Nice car all around. Keep the pics coming!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
JaySS
Admin
JaySS

PostSubject: Re: Made some changes   Made some changes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2014 6:14 pm

Getting the wagon ready for WFMA... Or not.

One of the (many) things I wanted to get done was to complete the brake upgrade I've had waiting in the wings for the October WF.

So after taking way too long to get the parts made, I've finally completed the next phase of construction using the 360mm rotors from a E55 and a set of CLS55 8-piston calipers:

Reworked NOS 9C1 knuckles, fitted with trimmed dust shields and caliper mounting brackets:

Made some changes - Page 2 IMG_2956_zps59dceb49

Cut down rotors equipped with longer studs:

Made some changes - Page 2 IMG_2964_zps10a89d11

'91-'92 F-body spindle nuts & indexing washers:

Made some changes - Page 2 IMG_2963_zps2ee18cfc

Rotors in place:

Made some changes - Page 2 IMG_2965_zps71d6c886

Rear view:

Made some changes - Page 2 IMG_3019_zps7a318ff9

Refinished calipers:

Made some changes - Page 2 IMG_2917_zps27d496c5

Made some changes - Page 2 IMG_2919_zps54a1c072

Calipers installed

Made some changes - Page 2 IMG_3018_zpse0b20f5c

Top view:

Made some changes - Page 2 IMG_3015_zpsc72c65e7

Rear view:

Made some changes - Page 2 IMG_3013_zps99e0aa2d

Previously I had borrowed a set of wheels from Chris to get by until I could complete the next step of my plan. While they did allow me use the car, the combination of cut springs and the spacers needed to clear the calipers pushed the tire out enough to scrape the fender occasionally when riding alone and much more frequently with two people in the front seat. That is one of the main reasons I didn't bring it to WFNY, as I wasn't comfortable taking it so far from home with the interference. But for occasional use they served to keep the car on wheels until the parts were ready for the next step.

In order to return Chris' wheels, I had traded some parts along with a small amount of coin to Doug for the Coy's that were on his Fleetwood, planning to install them on the wagon. I had already bench tested another set of 18's I had onto the new setup and they cleared everything just fine.

So yesterday I began to gather up the pieces and test fit everything in preparation for the install.

Or so I thought..

Placing the Coys onto the new setup showed the flush mounted air stem hits the caliper. The spokes hit the caliper. Even the drop center hit the caliper. In short, the wheels managed to hit everything but the lottery.

So what to do? The Coy's are already wider on the front side than the wheels that are on there and scraping, so reusing the existing spacer isn't going to work.

Reluctantly, I resolved to forgo the brake upgrade for now and just get the Coy's onto the car to have something to take to WF.

So off came Chris' wheel and the spacer, to mount the Coys.

So I set the wheel on the studs and immediately know I'm in trouble:

Made some changes - Page 2 IMG_3009_zps66f6d707

The spokes don't have enough curvature to clear the ML55 calipers:

Made some changes - Page 2 IMG_3011_zpsd1dd43d0

And oh by the way: One of the things I have always fought with this car is that the body isn't centered on the frame. It isn't off by much, like 3/8 of an inch, but with the calipers and 340mm rotors back there, things are exceptionally tight when it comes time to get a tire in on the short side. So far I've managed to creatively juggle wheels and shims in order to get the wheels on.

Measuring things up beforehand, I already knew I was going to have to readjust the body & frame alignment to get the wider Coy's on in back before the front began to throw fits, but things are really starting to get out of hand.

This step was intended as an interim step before I upgrade one last time. I had the 360mm rotors on hand, and trading Doug for the Coy's saved me from laying out the coin towards a new set of tires for the 19 inch wheels that are required for the next round. Perhaps I'll just skip this one and go right to the final configuration. But the real issue is that even if I get the machine work completed in time for October's meet, I still won't have enough left in the budget for the new tires.

So at the moment, I'm not sure how I'm getting to WFMA. Not real thrilled with things as they stand, but we'll see what happens...

- J

Back to top Go down
JaySS
Admin
JaySS

PostSubject: Re: Made some changes   Made some changes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2015 10:44 pm

What to do when you want to mod something and have an unused 52mm throttle body on hand:

Several years ago a few of us got together and constructed a handful of oversized throttle bodies for our LT1 cars. To begin, used throttle bodies were purchased so the cars wouldn't be down while the modifications were being made. The bodies were completely disassembled, cleaned and then bead blasted. Next, the air passages were bored out to 52 millimeters from the stock 48mm diameter, and matching throttle blades were fabricated from aluminum sheet stock.

One originally was installed into a friend's Impala, and as the original engine has since been removed to be replaced by a 454, it will be moved onto his wagon shortly. Another was slated for a '92 Corvette, where the owner desired the throttle body bypass mod, so the anti-icing coolant passage was milled off the IAC housing and a block off plate fabricated to seal the unused passage. Next, a TPIS airfoil was installed, and lastly, an MBA Products 'Vette top cover was obtained to finish it off.

Made some changes - Page 2 IMG_3128_zpsjakc4mcm

Made some changes - Page 2 IMG_3131_zps3hxo9zck

Made some changes - Page 2 IMG_3127_zpso4s2rhnu

Made some changes - Page 2 IMG_3129_zpsjsal3zsq

As these things go sometimes, the car was sold before the new throttle body was installed, so consequently, it has remained on the shelf since it was completed.

The other day I was thinking that it was about time that something was done with it, so rather than just sell it on, why not see it get some use by installing it on the wagon?  The late LT1's utilize a different style IAC housing than the '92 & '93 LT1's, so a corresponding coolant cover was readied for use. Since this car has had the coolant bypass mod for some time, just replacing the custom housing with a stock cover seemed a bit lame, knowing all the other work that had been done to convert it to 52mm.

First, the pressed in barbs were extracted from the housing:

Made some changes - Page 2 IMG_3133_zpstxscimxi

Then the holes were tapped for 7/16”-20 thread. That size was chosen as the holes are already the correct size once the tubes are removed:

Made some changes - Page 2 IMG_3135_zpsfpqqzrjr

Next, some O-ring straight thread plugs were installed, mostly because they were on hand. If you wanted to do the same, a pair of setscrews and some Loctite would work just as well, and probably be easier to find.

Made some changes - Page 2 IMG_3136_zpsliykca0i

The completed IAC housing:

Made some changes - Page 2 IMG_3137_zpsfjwmydip

As installed:

Made some changes - Page 2 IMG_3140_zpsnvknmx10

Finally, the Corvette cover was replaced with something more fitting for the wagon:

Made some changes - Page 2 IMG_3142_zpsj96fet2p

And as seen on the engine:

Made some changes - Page 2 IMG_3157_zpsrsfio8xi

Made some changes - Page 2 A0f7aa77-3177-41b4-9937-331b980e2a27_zpscafx49yj

Enjoy...

Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Made some changes   Made some changes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2015 7:44 am

The sheep wanted to know, is that a nitrous plate between the throttle body and the plenum?

Looks like a string of extra injectors sitting there on the aluminum bar

Last edited by lakeffect on Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Made some changes   Made some changes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2015 11:52 am

Jay, you are bringing your wagon to wagonfest this year right?
Back to top Go down
JaySS
Admin
JaySS

PostSubject: Re: Made some changes   Made some changes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2015 2:12 pm

lakeffect wrote:
The sheep wanted to know, is that a nitrous plate between the throttle body and the plenum?

Almost. It is a set of auxiliary fuel injectors for adding make-up fuel under boost. The injectors would be controlled by something like this:

Made some changes - Page 2 HKS%20Controller_zpsjdphybzp

The supercharger project has stalled, so I’ve been busying myself adding/upgrading the support systems when time permits.

Here is a photo with the throttle body removed where you can see the spray bars:

Made some changes - Page 2 IMG_3156_zps8cgtlemf

buickestate wrote:

Uh, maybe. I still have several issues to address before it is ready, including a set of lower ball joints and a myriad of small details that can no longer wait for another day. The big brakes still won’t fit, even with the 18” BBS wheels, so hopes of just replacing everything with the 5/8” spindles & lower control arms didn’t pan out.

I haven’t really minded riding along with Doug & Chris the past few years (actually prefer it as the ride is more pleasant with someone to talk to) but I’m wondering if people might like to see it there for a change.

Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Made some changes   Made some changes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2015 2:30 pm

JaySS wrote:

buickestate wrote:

Uh, maybe. I still have several issues to address before it is ready, including a set of lower ball joints and a myriad of small details that can no longer wait for another day. The big brakes still won’t fit, even with the 18” BBS wheels, so hopes of just replacing everything with the 5/8” spindles & lower control arms didn’t pan out.

I haven’t really minded riding along with Doug & Chris the past few years (actually prefer it as the ride is more pleasant with someone to talk to) but I’m wondering if people might like to see it there for a change.

Though I would love to see the wagon, I would rather know that you took your time and made it right, as you envision it. Rather then rush through the work it needs and cut corners just to drive it to wagonfest.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Made some changes   Made some changes - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Made some changes
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2