GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod

Go down 
+6
Sprocket
brokecello
BigWagon
81X11
DBeaSSt
Cadet57
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Cadet57

Cadet57

The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Empty
PostSubject: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 3:27 pm

Yes, thats right. A Hyundai Azera console. I was in one at work and realized the console looks like it would fit in a B-Body. So after a bit of searching I found one on eBay and it arrived today. Its about 1/4-1/2 of an inch wider than the Riviera console but will still fit between the bucket seats. It also does not require cutting of the console like the Riviera one or removal of any dash components. I'm going to give this a shot as my plans for the Riv console never worked out. I think this would be a better fit for someone who wants a center console without a shifter, but still would like some more storage and a nice armrest. I'll post pictures as the mod progresses, but heres what it looks like.

The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  IMG_20110516_150026
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 6:15 pm

Oh, neat idea. Looking forward to pics on your progress!
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 9:36 pm

Justin was the console pretty exspensive as it looks pretty well made?
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 9:40 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Justin was the console pretty exspensive as it looks pretty well made?
Jim Gordon

It was $80 from LKQ on Ebay, but shipping was a killer to MA. Its really well built. Very solid. It weighs a good 20 pounds.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 9:44 pm

Thanks and how about pictures of the control areas and does the woodgrain come close to
matching your original wood?
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 9:55 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Thanks and how about pictures of the control areas and does the woodgrain come close to
matching your original wood?
Jim Gordon

The woodgrain actually is close, imo, to the darker Caprice woodgrain. I have a set of the darker panels so I can switch them to match the console, and my 9C1 dash if it ever comes...

Here are some more pics:

Underside:
The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  IMG_20110516_214751

PRNDL with the ashtray and cupholders open:
The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  IMG_20110516_214655

PRNDL with everything closed:
The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  IMG_20110516_214639

If the rain stops for a bit tomorrow I'll try and pull out the Riv console and put this one in to get a test fit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 10:02 pm

Very nice Justin.Cant believe you havent heard something from the scammer about your
dash cluster.We may have to call the mail fraud authorities on this no-good,actually I
would have done that a long time ago but thats your decision dude.
Take Care
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 10:04 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Very nice Justin.Cant believe you havent heard something from the scammer about your
dash cluster.We may have to call the mail fraud authorities on this no-good,actually I
would have done that a long time ago but thats your decision dude.
Take Care
Jim Gordon

Finals and the job hunt got in the way. Car has taken a back seat for the most part. Thou I may just be going to NJ next week.... Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 10:06 pm

I knew what the Azera was before opening this thread.

There, I said it.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 10:08 pm

Stingroo wrote:
I knew what the Azera was before opening this thread.

There, I said it.

Yeah, but an Azera console... in a Chevy? Laughing

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 10:09 pm

I don't like it, only because the gear shift indicator would annoy me being there.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 10:10 pm

Stingroo wrote:
I don't like it, only because the gear shift indicator would annoy me being there.

Yeah, but I wont be putting a floor shift in the car. So its a moot point. Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 10:11 pm

That's why it would annoy me. There would be no shifter there.

What are your plans?
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 10:14 pm

Stingroo wrote:
That's why it would annoy me. There would be no shifter there.

What are your plans?

Space where the PRNDL is will be a rack for my scanner, cb, speakers for both, power ports, and toggle switch panel for my headlight flashers. Yes, its really a work car... I'm also toying with putting the factory slave CD player out of the Tahoe/Suburban in it too.

I'm also going to try to run some ducting so the rear vents actually work too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 10:15 pm

Interesting.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 10:34 pm

The console looks good, but I'd cut the shifter part out and put a cupholder/cd storage tray in the hole. You can get a good one out of the front part of the console on a 95-99 Suburban/Silverado next time you go yarding. They just pop out.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
BigWagon

BigWagon

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 10:56 am

I cannot wait to see how this thing pans out. Keep us updated. I am especially interested in seeing how you fill in the floor shifter area on the console.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 11:01 am

BigWagon wrote:
I cannot wait to see how this thing pans out. Keep us updated. I am especially interested in seeing how you fill in the floor shifter area on the console.

To fill the shifter area. I'm planning another hardwood insert like I did on my Riv console, that or a decent thickness styrene sheet SEM'd to match.

The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  IMG_20110508_105327

Took a break from finals to catch my sanity so I did a bit of work on the console. Removed the shifter plate to see what I was looking it for spacing, etc. Made a carboard mockup of what I have:

Incase you cant read the word on the picture thanks to my chicken scratch, the small dashes along the left side are 1inch increments which I'll need to use to place all the stuff in. The cross bar at the top can be cut out and won't hurt structural integrity which frees up more space. I also think I'll move the junk tray down to near the area that says "mounting tab" leaving the whole rest of the shifter area open for placing all the gear.

The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  828bb513

On another note. SEM Color Coat 17123, which is Caprice gray is almost a dead ringer for the gray on this console. Makes me VERY happy, wont need to respray it.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 8:13 pm

Oh! Eager to see how it fits...cool idea!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 9:46 pm

Justin it would be so neat if you could leave the shift indicators in the console and figure out
a way to make them functional with your column shifter.Just a thought as I kinda like the way
the console indicator lights are laid out aand it would definitely be something you wont see
everyday
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 6:19 pm

Made some more progress today. 4 straight days of rain finally let up so I could do a test fit. And oh man, its almost like it belongs in this car from the factory. I am very excited. I don't even need to SEM it, its so close to the current interior. It snugs up almost perfect to the TBI dash. Some pictures:

Snugged up to the dash:
The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  IMG_20110518_172521

Closeup of the dash:
The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  IMG_20110518_172511

Distance between console and carpet (close!):
The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  IMG_20110518_172502

A usable armrest when driving:
The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  IMG_20110518_172835

Rear vents and powerport:
The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  IMG_20110518_172448

Next is building the piece to replace the shifter plate and install all my goodies. I saved the wiring harness I made for my Riv console so thankfully, no new wiring.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 6:54 pm

What year Hyundi???? I'll be shopping lol that looks great
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 6:56 pm

Mine is out of an '07, but I think 06-10 are the same.

I really cannot wait to get this thing done. It is leaps and bounds better than the Riviera console IMO.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 7:22 pm

Now the question is... could one put the shifter from the Riv console into this thing? Obviously our cars couldn't use the funny shift pattern layout
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 7:25 pm

Stingroo wrote:
Now the question is... could one put the shifter from the Riv console into this thing? Obviously our cars couldn't use the funny shift pattern layout

I don't see why not. You would probably just have to make a custom shift index. OMG I just got an idea for how to do that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 8:04 pm

Do tell.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 8:09 pm

Stingroo wrote:
Do tell.

Its hard to explain without pics, but i'll make one as a mockup and post pics.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 8:10 pm

Other question/issue: That shifter thing goes PRND-> Manual mode.

If you get it to work you'd be a badass, but eh.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 8:11 pm

Stingroo wrote:
Other question/issue: That shifter thing goes PRND-> Manual mode.

If you get it to work you'd be a badass, but eh.

It wont be using the Azera shifter, but the Riviera one. Like I said, I can't explain it without pictures. Give me a week. Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 11:36 pm

Hurry up Justin because its looking pretty good from here.Didnt think it would look so "factory"
but to me it looks like it came off the lot with that console.And if you could get the shift pattern
to light up and indicate forward or reverse you would RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
Dont Give Up
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 4:36 pm

*Bump*

Got some more done on the console. Wiring harness is done. Tested it today, all power outlets and the USB ports work. Began cutting and fitting the filler plate to replace the shifter. I will be using hardwood pine that will be stained to match, and a bit of the old shifter plate. Next I plan to make ductwork to make the rear vents operational out of sheet styrene. If all goes to plan, it should be done by this weekend.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 6:59 pm

have you thought about adding a small fan near the vents? It's a long way from the dash to back there and the air flow will be hardly moving.... just a thought

A muffin fan from the PC should be good.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 7:07 pm

Sprocket wrote:
have you thought about adding a small fan near the vents? It's a long way from the dash to back there and the air flow will be hardly moving.... just a thought

A muffin fan from the PC should be good.

I may be scrapping the ductwork altogether. While I was mocking it up I realized that it would not fit with some of my radio get in there so I'm going to leave the vents non working for now and maybe over the winter mess with it some more.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 5:51 pm

Just put a fan in a small duct to the vents, it will draw air from everywhere, and may even cool your electronics. The duct only has to be a few inches long.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 6:01 pm

Cool......... To bad you could not put the shifter in it!!
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 6:02 pm

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
Cool......... To bad you could not put the shifter in it!!

Don't worry, im still tinkering with how that WOULD be possible. Wink
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2011 3:32 pm

Finally got the console done today. The stain I used on the wood PRNDL insert doesn't match, but I'll address that later. But besides that, everything is wired. Both USB ports work, as do all 4 power ports. I scrapped the iPod dock for now as I could not get it to seat right and still be able to reach it. I have an idea for that so i'll experiment the next batch of free time I get. But otherwise, its done, working and I'm happy.

Power Ports/ USB Ports (you can also see how off the stain is, oops):
The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  IMG_20110615_143604

Overall (still need to paint over the screws to make them less noticeable):The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  IMG_20110615_143554

Inside the armrest, powerport works, lots of storage:
The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  IMG_20110615_120348

Back to top Go down
BigWagon

BigWagon

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2011 5:42 pm

Nice!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2011 6:42 pm

I like the CB. Had one in high school with a speaker under the hood. Fun for tormenting girls at Seaside Heights. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2011 8:05 pm

Justin are you going to open up the rear end of the console so it drops down over the tunnel
better?I talking about a half moon inlet in the back .
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2011 11:49 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Justin are you going to open up the rear end of the console so it drops down over the tunnel
better?I talking about a half moon inlet in the back .
Jim Gordon

Jim, I'm not sure I follow you on that one.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2011 11:55 pm

Are you gonna trim the bottom rear area so that it conforms to the tunnel/hump?

That is what most people do when installing the Blazer console to eliminate the gaps.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2011 11:56 pm

94Woody wrote:

That is what most people do when installing the Blazer console to eliminate the gaps.

AHHH ok. Yes, i'll get around to that eventually. I was just impressed with how it sat without any modification that I let it be for now. I'll probably get to it this winter when I take the console out to run the hvac ducts, came up with a way to run them without too much interference.
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 3:48 pm

94Woody wrote:

I put some mineral wool (insulation) under the floor carpet to bring the carpet up to the console, that way you won't lose any height of the armrest. That said, if you want the armrest lower, you can trim the back, but it's not necessary.

Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 4:32 pm

Mike's right Justin,instead of cutting the console and lowering the armrest just add to the
carpet and raise to meet the curvature of the console.Its going to be awesome when you
get it done.See all that college is starting to pay off already.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 5:06 pm

200OZ wrote:
94Woody wrote:

I put some mineral wool (insulation) under the floor carpet to bring the carpet up to the console, that way you won't lose any height of the armrest. That said, if you want the armrest lower, you can trim the back, but it's not necessary.

Mike

Now THAT is a good idea. cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 5:27 pm

Mike I love that. I was just thinking about not using my Blazer console because I didn't want to cut it.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm....
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 5:50 pm

Mike is the man for console installs. He has done 3 that I know of so far. Most people think mine is factory!!

Also MTRHEAD79 does a great job with the Riv consoles........
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 5:51 pm

Too bad neither of them are local. lol
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 5:44 pm

*Bump*

Earlier in the thread I touched on making this console compatible with a floor shifter, I dug out the sketches I made to try and see if this would work. If anyone is interested in this sort of swap please get in touch with me and we'll see if we can make this work. I have a mockup I built based on the Riveria shifter index but no sure if the measurements would work.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod    The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Azera (wait, the what?) Console Mod
Page 1 of 1