GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

4L60 shifting too soon.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
lakeffect

lakeffect

4L60 shifting too soon. Empty
PostSubject: 4L60 shifting too soon.   4L60 shifting too soon. Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 9:22 am

Got a Question about changing shift points on a 4L60, not a 4L60E.

Took Shammoo to the drag races yesterday, and made a few passes in fully automatic, and a few more in manual shift mode. The passes in manual were faster. It seems as though in full Automatic, it would shift too soon. Off the line, it would go to second before the engine was really up in the power band, never effectively using the power.

Having gone to the TPI system, the factory kickdown mechanism has been changes over a a Lokar assembly instead. Essentially I can make the kickdown wire cable either tighter or looser.

Which way would I go?
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: 4L60 shifting too soon.   4L60 shifting too soon. Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 10:20 am

go full throttle make sure that the cable is at full travel from the trans,. then lock it down,.

so answer to your question tighter,. tighter is always better in a lot of cases in this world,.

as i said forstly,. make sure the throttle body arm is actually pulling the cable all the way out you wanna max out your trans pressure,.and i,ve seen it where i had to modify the throttle bracket arm to achieve 'fullpull'

Nick
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: 4L60 shifting too soon.   4L60 shifting too soon. Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 11:41 am

Be careful with that adjustment! It is a common misconception that it is strictly a kickdown cable like a TH350 when in fact the TV (throttle valve) cable is the only communicator to the transmission about load.

As the cable is pulled out with throttle depression, the transmission pump reacts by raising line pressure to maintain adequate clamp load on the band and clutches. Having the cable too slack, preventing full pull as Nick is saying, can kill a transmission pretty quickly, especially when hot dogging the car.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: 4L60 shifting too soon.   4L60 shifting too soon. Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 6:21 pm

What Nick and Greg said.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4L60 shifting too soon.   4L60 shifting too soon. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

4L60 shifting too soon.
Page 1 of 1