GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Leaking external trans cooler fitting

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

Leaking external trans cooler fitting Empty
PostSubject: Leaking external trans cooler fitting   Leaking external trans cooler fitting Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 8:36 pm

Noticed a little drip the other day coming from the bottom hose for the external cooler on my tow pack 94 Cap wagon. That would be the passenger side hard line fitting. From what I read, it is the feed line to the cooler. It got worse today as I was driving, so I need to fix it ASAP as we are using the car next weekend for a road trip. Because it was really hot when I got home, I couldn't fix it right away, but I did poke around a bit. The hard lines from the cooler go into protective rubber sleeves. It seems that about an inch back from that there is the connector under that sleeve. I assume it is leaking from there, and seeping out the end of the sleeve.

Just wanted to check with you guys before I wreck something. Here's what I plan to do:
- slit rubber sleeve, peel back to expose leaky fitting
- cut line behind fitting, cut off hose on hard line with Dremel
- clean up any sharp edges left on hard line
- replace hose on hardline and secure with hose clamps

I really don't want to replace the full line set. Anyone else cut up a trans cooler line like this and have a working fix?

Jason.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Leaking external trans cooler fitting   Leaking external trans cooler fitting Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 8:56 pm

I love that rubber crap, all it does is help the line rust faster! I had the same thing happen on my Caprice before WF last year. I cut out all the rusty line and line with the plastic on it. I then picked up some trans cooler hose from napa and double clamped it on on both sides. Been on there a year now and no leaks.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Leaking external trans cooler fitting   Leaking external trans cooler fitting Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 9:10 pm

Just make sure you buy decent hose and decent clamps,. you'll be fine,.

Nick
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: Leaking external trans cooler fitting   Leaking external trans cooler fitting Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 9:17 pm

Fuel injection clamps work good, solid band, screw and nut to tighten it up on the hose. Or, cut the bad section out and put in a piece of new/good metal tubing and use compression couplings.

Mike
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Leaking external trans cooler fitting   Leaking external trans cooler fitting Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 9:27 pm

I'm sure it is just the fitting, there is no rust on this line. The car probably weighs an extra 500 pounds with all the oil spray grime on it...

I think I will flare the hard line so there is no chance of the line popping off.

I used those fuel injection clamps on my old 9C1 when I repaired the leaking power steering cooler.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leaking external trans cooler fitting   Leaking external trans cooler fitting Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Leaking external trans cooler fitting
Page 1 of 1