GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Make front seat lie completely flat?

Go down 
+3
Lynol
95BRMW
lakeffect
7 posters
AuthorMessage

Make front seat lie completely flat? Empty
PostSubject: Make front seat lie completely flat?   Make front seat lie completely flat? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 11:48 pm

Is this possible? I'm thinking for shipping purposes, it would probably make it significantly cheaper if possible. I know they recline, but that won't get it totally flat.

Anybody have any ideas for seat-shipping?
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Make front seat lie completely flat?   Make front seat lie completely flat? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 7:29 am

Might need a mechanism from another vehicle that does what you want, like fold flat when pushed forward. Chevy HHR's have that feature.

Modify what you have?
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Make front seat lie completely flat?   Make front seat lie completely flat? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 7:54 am

Arent there just 2 shoulder bolts holding the back to the mechanism? I broke a bolt last year and was able to lift one side of my seat back up.
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: Make front seat lie completely flat?   Make front seat lie completely flat? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 8:22 am

The seats in your Caprice aren't able to do that? The front power-adjust, manual recline seat-backs in my '92 OCC recline all the way down until the rear seat cushion stops them from going any further.
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: Make front seat lie completely flat?   Make front seat lie completely flat? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 8:35 am

I'll be darned, they don't go all the way flat. I had to go out and try it now that you had me thinking about it. When I had my little Civic wagon, I used to remove the rear seat bottom and recline the pass. seat all the way back. I once fit a front engine lawn tractor in that car because of that. I guess I never thought to try it in this car since it's so big, I've never needed that much space. I can attest to what 95BRMW said about the seat-back bolts. I was in his car when it broke. Removing the bolts isn't something you can do that quickly, but if your making a big move or something on occasion, it would be worth it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Make front seat lie completely flat?   Make front seat lie completely flat? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 8:49 am

Well it's not to put something in the car, it's to ship the seat.

Apparently, if it's flat, it will be cheaper. Or so I am told....
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: Make front seat lie completely flat?   Make front seat lie completely flat? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 8:58 am

OH! Well then, yeah just take the two bolts out that hold each side to the bottom of the seat. I think they were some size of large hex key, or maybe it was a torx. Hopefully 95BRMW or someone else who's done this can chime in.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Make front seat lie completely flat?   Make front seat lie completely flat? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 9:17 am

Probably a T47 or T50 like all the other seat stuff... lol

Hmmm... yeah, would like for someone to chime in. I don't have the seat to be shipped, it's being shipped TO me, so if I can explain it to my friend it'd be nice.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Make front seat lie completely flat?   Make front seat lie completely flat? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 9:26 am

Stingroo wrote:

Hmmm... yeah, would like for someone to chime in. I don't have the seat to be shipped, it's being shipped TO me, so if I can explain it to my friend it'd be nice.

If you get the seat with the bolts out,.

will you be able to get them back in , in the right order?? Wink

Nick
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Make front seat lie completely flat?   Make front seat lie completely flat? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 9:33 am

LOL Possibly.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Make front seat lie completely flat?   Make front seat lie completely flat? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 9:44 am

It was a large T socket, I don't rember the size though. I had to push down on the cushion a bit to see the bolt. It should be as easy as pulling the bolt out on each side and lift the top off.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Make front seat lie completely flat?   Make front seat lie completely flat? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 9:55 am

Awesome. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Make front seat lie completely flat?   Make front seat lie completely flat? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 4:40 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
Stingroo wrote:

Nick

One would hope. It IS only two bolts... Not as hard as say, 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. Wink
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Make front seat lie completely flat?   Make front seat lie completely flat? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 6:51 pm

Use Greyhound...just have the seller wrap it/them in bubble wrap, and it should cost you less than $60 per seat. I shipped two Bonnie seats in the upright position to CA from FL for about that much each.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Make front seat lie completely flat?   Make front seat lie completely flat? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 7:13 pm

This is just one passenger side seat to do my console conversion.

I'm not sure he's near a Greyhound depot, unfortunately.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Make front seat lie completely flat?   Make front seat lie completely flat? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 7:14 pm

Cadet57 wrote:
phantom 309 wrote:
Stingroo wrote:

Nick

One would hope. It IS only two bolts... Not as hard as say, 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. Wink

I will hunt you down, good sir.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Make front seat lie completely flat?   Make front seat lie completely flat? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 8:31 pm

i had a problem with that firing order one time,.
but the cam i ordered had a 4-7 swap,. you'd think i,d have known better after actually ordering the cam on the phone,. but late at nite on autopilot i plugged in the wires in the wrong order,. and YES i did take a few minutes before i did the homer simpson DOH! and things worked better,.

Nick
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Make front seat lie completely flat?   Make front seat lie completely flat? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 9:30 pm

Stingroo wrote:
This is just one passenger side seat to do my console conversion.

I'm not sure he's near a Greyhound depot, unfortunately.

Try asking him.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Make front seat lie completely flat?   Make front seat lie completely flat? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 9:50 pm

Let me know how you make out. I have to ship a complete set of Bonnies just after wagon fest.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Make front seat lie completely flat?   Make front seat lie completely flat? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Make front seat lie completely flat?
Page 1 of 1