GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

I think I've got a bad plug

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

I think I've got a bad plug Empty
PostSubject: I think I've got a bad plug   I think I've got a bad plug Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 11:06 am

The auto level hasn't worked for a few months. I finally got underneath the car to troubleshoot it. I have an open in (or close to) the plug by the level control sensor. When I wiggle the plug, I hear something toward the front of the car clicking.

Can I repair the plug? Do I have to replace it?
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: I think I've got a bad plug   I think I've got a bad plug Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 2:49 pm

If you can find a plug that matches the one on the car, you can swap the pins. It may just be a corroded pin in the plug, or a loose wire to one of the pins. The hardest part is fixing it on the car, because you have to lay under the car. If you can get the wiring out from under the car, it will be a lot easier.

The clicking is probably the relay that turns the compressor on, or is the relief valve. The fact that the pump does not run could be a bad thing. Check the pump for operation, and then check the relief valve for operation. You could have someone listen/feel for the click while you manipulate the connector. By locating the exact part that is clicking, it will facilitate your diagnostic efforts.

I assume that you have a 94-96.
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: I think I've got a bad plug   I think I've got a bad plug Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 7:52 pm

I already did the troubleshooting section in the FSM. The compressor worked correctly. The problem is between the harness and the level sensor. Since I hear a clicking when I wiggle the plug, I think there's an open-circuit nearby.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: I think I've got a bad plug   I think I've got a bad plug Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 8:12 pm

Did you take the connector off of the sensor, and check for wire/connector continuity? If you suspect the connector, put a needle through the insulation and check for continuity from the connector by wiggling the pins. Also look for corrosion on the pins and the sensor. You could also check the sensor to verify continuity when it is off of center (have someone sit on the tailgate, and alternately lift the rear of the car...1/4~1/2 inch movement should be sufficient).
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: I think I've got a bad plug   I think I've got a bad plug Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 8:21 pm

I'm going to have to get back to this in a few weeks. Today is the end of my weekend. Next week, we leave for Yellowstone.
Back to top Go down
fastllort

PostSubject: Re: I think I've got a bad plug   I think I've got a bad plug Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 5:41 pm

check on ssconnectors.com
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: I think I've got a bad plug   I think I've got a bad plug Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 10:13 am

If it was me, I'd just get under there with a pair of cutter/stripper/crimpers and replace the whole connector with male & female spade connectors, fully greased up, of course. Job over.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I think I've got a bad plug   I think I've got a bad plug Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I think I've got a bad plug
Page 1 of 1