GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff

Go down 
+3
BigBlackBeaSSt
toomanytoyz
chapel
7 posters
AuthorMessage
chapel

chapel

Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff Empty
PostSubject: Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff   Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 4:02 pm

I'm aware the 95+ has a double din slot, but it's not all that deep?
I wanted to know what was involved in cutting to fit.
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff   Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 8:52 am

if anyone has any pictures of the dash hole and the depth of the stock radio, that would help too.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff   Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 12:21 pm

Like I told you, it's pretty obvious what needs trimming... Wink

I will help ya with the install if you want. Shouldn't take long.
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff   Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 12:23 pm

Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff   Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 5:11 pm

Get whatever one has the shallowest mounting depth. Wink

Or the one with all pigtails for the rca's instead of just jacks on the back of the unit.
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff   Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 9:34 pm

having a hard time finding dimensions on these.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff   Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 9:41 pm

200OZ just did a post on his install. It is the next one under this on the page.
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff   Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 9:53 pm

he did a 94 to 95 swap with a stock radio. I'm looking to do a 95 to an aftermarket radio.
looks like most are between 6 and 5/16" and 6 1/2"

Not sure how deep the stock radio is.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff   Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 10:30 pm

Sorry, I misunderstood. Not very audio savy.........
Back to top Go down
Jimster1

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff   Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 4:28 am

I'm also contemplating an aftermarket radio for my '96 RMW. Does anybody know how much space there is behind the back of the factory radio mounting hole. The local installer guy says he cuts 'em all the time, but..... I don't want the face of the radio to stock out from the dash. It's gotta look factory or the whole deal is a no-go.
Jim
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff   Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 1:17 pm

There are two layers. Cut the first for more space. If you cut the second, you are into the HVAC.
Back to top Go down
Jimster1

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff   Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 2:03 pm

How much extra depth does cutting the first layer get you? Yeah, getting into the HVAC ducting would not be a good plan.
Jim
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff   Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 3:17 pm

Enough to flush most double DINs, but it may not be enough to plug in some wiring like iPod adapters. Time to get out the tape measure.
Back to top Go down
turbojimmy

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff   Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 8:02 pm

jayoldschool - fancy meeting you here!

I have pics of the dash mod from my '96 'Wood. I installed a Pioneer AVH-3200DVD. Mounting depth was around 7" if memory serves. EDIT: Mounting depth is actually 6.5". Hacking out the plastic at the back gets you enough to install most double-DIN receivers in the 6.5" range.

Stock:
Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff 3200dvd-7_zps42bd25d4

After hacking:
Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff 3200dvd-5_zps807c1c4b

Done:
Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff 3200dvd-1_zps08f01377

HTH...

Last edited by turbojimmy on Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:54 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Jimster1

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff   Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 9:02 pm

Wow, what great information. I get a little twitchy when it comes to spending a "Big One" and having the install looking like crap. Do you have a picture of your install shot in the daylight?
Jim
Back to top Go down
turbojimmy

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff   Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 9:26 pm

Jimster1 wrote:
Wow, what great information. I get a little twitchy when it comes to spending a "Big One" and having the install looking like crap. Do you have a picture of your install shot in the daylight?
Jim

I used to have pics in the daylight, but I can't seem to locate them now. The receiver fit perfectly, though. It looked totally stock. I did have to manufacture my own mounting brackets, but it was due to a problem unique to the 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood. The '96 Fleetwood had a mounting system similar (or probably the same) as the B/D body wagons. However, the people that manufacture the aftermarket installation kits for the Cadillacs lump the '96 into the '93-95 years, which are totally different and unique to Cadillac as far as I know. You can't get a correct kit for the '96 Fleetwood if you order a Cadillac kit. Long story short - I made a '93-95 kit work. I had to hack up the brackets and goof around with them a bit to get the face of the receiver flush with the stock trim plate.
Back to top Go down
turbojimmy

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff   Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 9:35 pm

Found one!

Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff Limo_pioneer_zps2f456cc0
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff   Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 9:35 pm

Jimmy - there are many of us here. Wink
Back to top Go down
turbojimmy

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff   Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 9:46 pm

Stingroo wrote:
Jimmy - there are many of us here. Wink

I see that! I had no idea this place existed until today. Very cool...
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff   Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 9:47 pm

turbojimmy wrote:
Found one!

Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff Limo_pioneer_zps2f456cc0

Ohh...I like that....!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
turbojimmy

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff   Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff Icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2012 7:53 am

brokecello wrote:
Ohh...I like that....!!!

Thanks!

I've also corrected the information in my original post. It looks like the P3200-DVD was only 6.5" deep. I don't want to mislead anyone. I had actually asked the nice people at Crutchfield about why they only list one receiver (at the time) for the Fleetwood. Here's what they said:

"The reason that we only list one head unit as fitting in your Fleetwood is due to mounting depth restrictions in the factory radio opening. According to our research file on the car, there is only 6.16" of available depth in the existing dash opening, and most aftermarket receivers are around 6.5" - 7" deep. The Dual XML8110 iPod receiver measures only 5.895" deep, which is why we list it as the only option. If you can overcome this depth issue somehow, we do offer a mounting kit for the Fleetwood that will allow you to properly mount a double-DIN head unit. Therefore, you may want to consult with a professional installer in your area to see if modifications can be made to the dash opening to provide more depth."
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff   Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff Icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2012 10:32 am

Now Jimmy, find a RMW climate control headunit, and you can actually send the heat/AC where you want it to go! Wink

Oh, and to contribute to this thread... I also cut out some behind mine to get the Pioneer DVD to fit. I can't for the life of me find pics, though!

Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff 2011-09-01123047
Back to top Go down
Jimster1

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff   Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff Icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2012 11:29 am

I'm getting more and more confident that I can mount a Kenwood 9990 in my RMW without it looking like a butcher job.
Jim owner of "Woodie"
Back to top Go down
turbojimmy

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff   Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff Icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2012 11:42 am

toomanytoyz wrote:
Now Jimmy, find a RMW climate control headunit, and you can actually send the heat/AC where you want it to go! Wink

Oh, and to contribute to this thread... I also cut out some behind mine to get the Pioneer DVD to fit. I can't for the life of me find pics, though!

I already did that on my '94 :-) (the Pioneer head unit pics are from my '96). I put a Roadmaster climate control unit in my '94 after swapping over as many Cadillac buttons as I could. It looks sort of stock, but the LCD display is a lot brighter than the rest of the Fleetwood's display so it looks a bit out of place at night.

And, back on topic: as someone else mentioned, get a head unit that has pigtails if you can. The Pioneer had RCA jacks on the back so I had to use 90-degree adapters to connect it up, and even then it was tight. Plus, the 90-degree connectors were blocking some of the inputs so I had to use the front A/V inputs which leaves cables dangling around.
Back to top Go down
Jimster1

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff   Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff Icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2012 1:52 pm

I understand the space problem with plugs protruding on the backside. I've considered directly soldering some of the connections, thus eliminating the plugs. We'll see how it goes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff   Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Looking for Roadie specific Double DIN installation stuff
Page 1 of 1