GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Anyone remember how to fix a lazy parking brake return?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

Anyone remember how to fix a lazy parking brake return? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone remember how to fix a lazy parking brake return?   Anyone remember how to fix a lazy parking brake return? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 5:29 pm

94 Caprice wagon.

Noticed my brake light was on when I came out after work today. Of course, my first thought was that I had sprung a leak. Not so fast! Turns out it is just the parking brake pedal dropping a notch. Only enough to just turn on the light. I can pull up on the pedal and the light will go out. I had the same problem on my old 9C1 ten years ago, and I "fixed" it with an elastic band. I would prefer to fix it correctly this time!

Is it just a matter of freeing up the mechanism at the drum backing plate? I didn't try cycling the parking brake because I didn't want it to stick on. If it sticks, I would rather deal with it at the school shop where I can get it up on the lift.

LMK if you have ideas/solutions...

Thanks,
Jason.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember how to fix a lazy parking brake return?   Anyone remember how to fix a lazy parking brake return? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 7:04 pm

vice grips on the primary cable underneath,. hammer it back towards the rear of the car,. that usually takes up the slack,.make sure you have the pb pedal help up while doing it,.

Nick
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember how to fix a lazy parking brake return?   Anyone remember how to fix a lazy parking brake return? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 7:56 pm

Thanks, Nick. I probably moved it around when I was doing the brake line.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember how to fix a lazy parking brake return?   Anyone remember how to fix a lazy parking brake return? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 9:44 pm

Corrosion can make the cable stick in the sheath. The return springs are in the brake mechanism inside the drum.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember how to fix a lazy parking brake return?   Anyone remember how to fix a lazy parking brake return? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone remember how to fix a lazy parking brake return?
Page 1 of 1