GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Driver's door won't unlock

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

Driver's door won't unlock Empty
PostSubject: Driver's door won't unlock   Driver's door won't unlock Icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2011 6:39 pm

1994 RMW. The lock on the driver's side will lock automatically when I put the car in gear, or if I press the locking button. But it will only unlock if I pull up the manual lever.

I can't get a voltmeter on the motor, because it's too cold to try to take the door off. I'll snap off more of those christmas tree mounting points. So, has anyone seen this before? I'm guessing that the lock motor has died.
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Driver's door won't unlock   Driver's door won't unlock Icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2011 8:03 pm

Does your car have a remote control box? If so, I had the same symptom on my OCC. Changed the box and it works fine.
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: Driver's door won't unlock   Driver's door won't unlock Icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2011 8:28 pm

It does have a remote control box. I think it's behind the locking box in the bed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Driver's door won't unlock   Driver's door won't unlock Icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2011 8:43 pm

Nick my 91 OCC does the same thing intermiittently.It came with the factory keyless entry which
would never program.I had an aftermarket system installed which worked great until recently.
My problem is a loose wire behind the kick panel that is somehow became loose.The parking brake
seems to be causing a short whenever I use it.Biggest problem is the drivers door lock would
occasionally get stuck and run until my battery dies but I think I have that fixed.Let me know
what you find!
Jim
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Driver's door won't unlock   Driver's door won't unlock Icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2011 8:57 pm

Nick Danger wrote:
It does have a remote control box. I think it's behind the locking box in the bed.

You are correct it is behind the lock box panel on the wheelhouse. The 94-96 have it stuck on with a couple of pieces of two sided goo. The 91-93 have a nice elegant bracket that it screws to. The 91-93 bracket is removable (but it is a PITA), so if you wanted to install one on your car, it can be done.
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: Driver's door won't unlock   Driver's door won't unlock Icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2011 9:30 pm

Yeah, that's the one. The goo had failed from years of Phoenix heat. I reattached it with a nut and bolt.
Back to top Go down
AzDon

AzDon

PostSubject: Re: Driver's door won't unlock   Driver's door won't unlock Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 11:57 am

GM door lock solenoids have two wires (no ground) and operate up and down simply by reversing polarity. Door and remote switches simply swap negative and positive outputs for up and down, so both positive and negative are provided through whatever switches control the solenoids I'm guessing it's a switch problem.
Does the drivers door switch operate the other doors okay?
Does the problem occur just with the remote, or with the inside switch too?
Focusing on localizing the problem will give you a narrower range of places to look for it.
Back to top Go down
http://v-driveboat.com
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: Driver's door won't unlock   Driver's door won't unlock Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 4:13 pm

I still haven't looked at it.

I just asked Mrs Danger for details. She says that if she uses the remote, she thinks that there is a clunk inside the door. So right now, I'm thinking that a mechanical linkage has come apart.

Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Driver's door won't unlock   Driver's door won't unlock Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 5:00 pm

If the linkeage is off it will neither lock or unlock with the solenoid,.
as was asked does it affect all 4 doors or just that one,. module reverses polarity for all 4 doors,.

cheap hair dryer will aid emergency door pad removal in cold weather, btdt.

Nick
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Driver's door won't unlock   Driver's door won't unlock Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 7:06 pm

my 94 has been doing it for about 6 months and the other day my OCC did it too....then the OCC started working again 15 minutes later. curious to see what you find out. I've been too lazy
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: Driver's door won't unlock   Driver's door won't unlock Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 9:24 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
as was asked does it affect all 4 doors or just that one,. module reverses polarity for all 4 doors,.

Nick

Only the driver's door is affected.

I'm in no hurry to remove the door panel. Mrs Danger is not upset by the problem, and the weather will warm up again in a month or two. I live a long way from Canada.

Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Driver's door won't unlock   Driver's door won't unlock Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 9:43 pm

Nick Danger wrote:
phantom 309 wrote:

Nick
I live a long way from Canada.

Whats your point?
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: Driver's door won't unlock   Driver's door won't unlock Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 9:52 pm

When I lived in New Hampshire, it was snowy until Easter. I would have been tempted to use a hair dryer. Here, spring will come soon enough that it won't test my patience.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Driver's door won't unlock   Driver's door won't unlock Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 11:33 pm

Nick Danger wrote:
When I lived in New Hampshire, it was snowy until Easter. I would have been tempted to use a hair dryer. Here, spring will come soon enough that it won't test my patience.

Driver's door won't unlock Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxp3yMFkCdQG0cimZx1wacl53X1ejJTWk04WaKXJoQMLWOyevsTthatGrz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Driver's door won't unlock   Driver's door won't unlock Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Driver's door won't unlock
Page 1 of 1