GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What does it look like under the headliner?

Go down 
+3
Fred Kiehl
95BRMW
Porkwagon
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Porkwagon

Porkwagon

What does it look like under the headliner? Empty
PostSubject: What does it look like under the headliner?   What does it look like under the headliner? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 5:57 am

Mine is starting to sag bad. (rear leak) I cant afford to have it redone right now. I was wondering what it would look like if I just took it out completely. Is it just smooth steel? Or are there holes everywhere.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What does it look like under the headliner?   What does it look like under the headliner? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 6:26 am

On my 95 RMW I have the same problem on the drivers side.Pretty sure its bare metal,wires and
support bars.If you poll it down it will be noisier than normal.Will be colder in the winter and very hot whenever the suns out.There are some post here about headliners that may help you.
Jim
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: What does it look like under the headliner?   What does it look like under the headliner? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 8:14 am

Here are some pics of the inside from the famous sawzall thread Embarassed
https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t1630p20-labor-day-project?highlight=labor+day

I helped a friend redo his Caprice's head liner a few months ago. He got the material from an auto swap meet for about $50 and a couple cans of 3m glue. took a few hours to do, the hardest part was scraping the backerboard clean. It came out great in the end.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: What does it look like under the headliner?   What does it look like under the headliner? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 8:16 am

I have mine down to get some things redone, and if you are not sleeping in it and reinstall the sun visors, it doesn't bother you too much. There are some wires, screws ends, and braces, but you only see the front where you sit. The wires are held by clips so they do not fall down. If you have an RMW or OCC be careful with the headliner, it is extremely weak at the vista window, and will snap without someone to support it. I put some carbon fiber on mine at that point to keep it from breaking. Be extremely careul at the rear fasener, try to pull it out without putting pressure on the headliner. use a pivot off of the headliner when prying, or you will crush the supporting foam backing. There are 3-4 velcro fasteners that hold the liner up at strategic points on eing the middle, two at the sides, and sometimes one in the front (91s without the center visor supports).

It does get hotter in the summer, and colder in the winter.

If you have a leak, you have to remove it to trace where the water is coming from.

The Caprice headliners are stronger. I bought a Caprice headliner, and carbon fibered it, then cut the hole for the vista window with a dremel and carbide bit. 1 ply of 4 oz cloth was enough.
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: What does it look like under the headliner?   What does it look like under the headliner? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 8:35 am

I took mine out of my Caprice and re-did it. It wasn't so bad, but that headliner is thin and appears to be made out of saltine crackers or something, you have to watch you don't snap the corners. Underneath it's all roof bars and wires like Flasheroo said. I drove mine around the day I replaced it, and also noticed it's a bit louder. Especially in the rain, lol. If you are going to take it out, you might as well re-do it and put it back. As many said, it's fragile so get someone to help you even if your car is not an RMW/OCC. And, if you are going to remove and store it somewhere, put it in a really safe place.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: What does it look like under the headliner?   What does it look like under the headliner? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 11:36 am

When i have to take another one down,.i,m going to try spraying either rubber undercoating, or chip guard, or rhino spray in box liner, i think it will help seal off small leaks, and add to soundproofing,. dynamat loses its adhesive qualities after a while and brings the head liner down,.

Nick
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: What does it look like under the headliner?   What does it look like under the headliner? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 1:09 pm

Here it is insulated.....

What does it look like under the headliner? IMAG0280
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: What does it look like under the headliner?   What does it look like under the headliner? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 1:10 pm

Not insulated
What does it look like under the headliner? IMAG0273

What does it look like under the headliner? IMAG0272
Back to top Go down
Porkwagon

Porkwagon

PostSubject: Re: What does it look like under the headliner?   What does it look like under the headliner? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 4:51 pm

Thanks guys, I have just been kind of intimidated with re-covering it myself. The upholstery shop wants 250 beans! It has to come down anyways to see where this leak is at, so I guess ill be tackling it this week. Thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: What does it look like under the headliner?   What does it look like under the headliner? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 7:38 pm

I'm getting ready to do mine..... I know what to do, but haven't done one in about 20 years....
should be fun. I'm going crazy with a print fabric.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What does it look like under the headliner?   What does it look like under the headliner? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What does it look like under the headliner?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GM Longroof Forum :: Longroof Tech :: Interior-
Jump to: