GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Shammoo update

Go down 
+30
benn
stewzer55
silverfox103
BigBlackBeaSSt
bamalongroof
MalibuSSwagon
Fred Kiehl
Andebe
JoeT
JBLTZ
convert2diesel
mtrhead79
buickestate
jimbeau
Olds Weighty Eight
94Woody
1993 Roady-man
Nick Danger
81X11
Cadet57
bigoldv8
sherlock9c1
Bewber
Sprocket
jayoldschool
brokecello
phantom 309
Krzdimond
DBeaSSt
lakeffect
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
phantom 309

phantom 309

Shammoo update - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 1:30 am

Bewber wrote:
A T56 car with 456 (or nicks 488s) would be serious in a standing mile.
I have one of those t56 4:88 cars,.,.and yes i think it,d work pretty good,. BUT,. driveshaft rpm becomes pretty scary with .050 overdrive,.making a carbon fibre shaft mandatory,.

Tire Size: 255-50-17
//
Final Drive Ratio (Axle Ratio of driven wheels): 4:88

Gear Ratio

RPM Redline:6250

6th gear
0 0.0
500 15.9
1000 31.8
1500 47.7
2000 63.6 <<<<<<<<< for all you people that think 4:88's are too much,.
2500 79.5
<<<<<<<<< do the math with a 4l60E and 3:73's,..
3000 95.4
3500 111.3
4000 127.3
4500 143.2
5000 159.1 <<<<<< inmho definitely attainable,.
5500 175.0
6000 190.9
6250 198.8

This years motor is a very light 383, mild cam but with good valve springs,.aluminum flywheel etc,.and the carbon fibre shaft,.

aerodynamics, play a huge part in vehicle speed after 120mph,.you need a fine thread at the back to push it thru the air,.or ungodly amounts of torque,.or a slippery shape,.wagon would need some sort of aerofoil(s) to break the vacuum created behind it because of its shape,.i had the blue wagon to 133mph downhill slightly with favourable wind, with its' 2:56's

Nick

Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 8:46 am

Great info Nick!, Thanks.
That rpm/mph ratio doesn't seem to far off from what these crummy 3.09 are getting in 4th gear. at 3000, I get 91 mph, ( similar to your 3000/95) It's just I don't have those extra gears available in your T56 to get me there as quickly.

This year I'm hoping to add both a posi unit (don't have one in Shammoo yet) and likely to switch to 3.42:1 Both things will help hook up for the 1/4 mile times, but shouldn't destroy my already bad gas mileage.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 1:18 pm

New pics of console progress

Torn out the old unit. Any one can restore. It beer and balls and more beer an a sawzall to cut one up!.

Several beers.. one sawzall

Shammoo update - Page 3 GEDC0222

The whole unit together, still missing the Computer port for programming on the lower section:

Shammoo update - Page 3 GEDC0219

Close up of the upper portion

Shammoo update - Page 3 GEDC0220

If you are unfamiliar with fuel curve mapping , this is my current upper RPM fuel map.
The highly modded TPI system in Shammoo has required that I learn how to reprogram the ECM

Shammoo update - Page 3 GEDC0223

Not shown here is the fact that My ports for the computer link are not in the console yet, as well as the ECM cooling fan still needs to be mounted. More pics to come as progress dictates.

Last edited by lakeffect on Tue May 17, 2011 6:48 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 1:24 pm

Love that console. Looks awesome.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 8:29 pm

sawzall and beer,. sounds like a youtube moment,.(or the death of a rust free WB4)

nick
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 9:37 pm

I seriously doubt a normally aspirated engine in our wagons could even begin to pull 6th gear without 5 to 600 lb ft of torque.And that would have to be available between 4500 and 5500
rpms.Like Nick said torque is needed way more than horsepower to keep these cars accelerating
in the higher gears especially 0.50 6th gear.With Daves engine setup the way it is now 4 gears
are more than enough with his present gearing.I just think it would be great to see one of our
wagons run 140 to 150 mph in the standing mile.
Ultimately twin turbos or a 3 litre displacement supercharger on a LS-7 would be my dream
package.Or maybe a CTS_V wagon with a Hennesey 1000 horsepower upgrade.I guess I can
always dream about taking one of our wagons to an rediculous speed and watching the world
disappear in the rearview mirror.
This could get interesting
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 8:33 am

I can't recall what the factory ECM fuel shutoff speed is, but mine is reprogrammable. It's currently set at a wishful thinking 180mph. Just call me Mr. Conserative.

Stayed up on my bad foot too long yesterday, paying for it today via lots of swelling in the ankle and foot. I'm told I should wrap it in something cold to reduce the swelling, but the beer cold bottles keep rolling off. DAMN!
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 9:46 am

just picture this as your foot:

Shammoo update - Page 3 Uses4duct-tape-040
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 10:25 am

Morning All! Dave after having 5 operations on my left foot I have some expierence in this matter.Buy your beer in 1/4 and 1/2 kegs and just strap your foot to the cold keg.This way
your foot stays cold,you stay off your feet and you dont have to get up to get your beer out of the fridge.The single most important thing to work out was pee breaks.Carrying the keg to the
bathroom wasnt a good idea and then it came to me.VELCRO your foot to the keg and then just
pee breaks are no longer a problem.Note use the hospital grade velcro as its much quieter to
remove at night and then you wont wake everybody up and it has the soft backing.
And yes I have put a great deal of thought and effort into solving the problem.
You Are Welcome Dave
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 11:39 am

You guys are killing me!

I'm laughing with tears in my eyes!
Thanks for the great ideas!

Dave
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2011 10:26 pm

Well, it's been awhile since I've posted any "official" updates.

First off, the foot is healing well, from being broken. I've been back to work for the past few weeks. It gets a little swollen still, but range of motion has been improved.. a bit of trouble going down steps, but up is OK. Thanks to all for the kind thoughts, prayers and private messages of encouragement.

I'm getting back to work on Shammoo. I've been doing some reprogramming on the low RPM range. Mostly I do back and forth to work which is about 5 miles and 8 stop lights away. The trip leaves no opportunity to get over 35 MPH. (OK... no LEGAL opportunity) Previous recorded gas mileage has been all of 8.8mph. It's now up to 9.1 which equates to a 3% gain. It still sucks. So I'm slowly working on leaning out the open loop idle, and lower fuel table for when closed loop kicks in.

Additionally I'll be turning 'Highway Mode' back on. GM used it on OBD1 cars to raise the commanded AFR to improve gas mileage. It's something the GM was forced by the government to turn off, as they thought it was cheating the C.A.F.E. numbers. But all the hard code is still in there. I just need to drop the engagement speed from the stupid 200 mph to something reasonable again like 50mph.

I have the lower console almost fully wired now. I need to add some foot well lighting into the car, and still need to throw a few LED's into it. Then the lower half will be done.

I added the check engine light, ECM datalogging port, Prominator selector switch and secondary release button for the rear gate. I also added the thermostatically controlled ECM cooling fan.

On the overhead console thread that's at the SS forum, I decided to use the temperature sensor to do something different that show the outside temperature. I'm going to strap the sensor to my ECM to see what temperature it runs at. I figured it ties in better with the ECM cooling fan project, and now I'll have an indicator for it.

So the lower section is near ready to install. Kind of got that industrial look going with stainless steel allen cap screws holding everything together.

While it's out though, I'm trying to clean up rat's nest of wires that are under there, and extend a few others to make plugging into the consoles via modular plugs easier.

Started work on the upper console today as well. I stripped the fabric off after separating the halves. It will having matching grey tweed, like the seats when I' done. I'm also adding LED lighting around the edges of the upper unit to get more interior lighting going. A much as I hate wiring, it's not the intimidating challenge it used to be.

Pics to come in the next few days soon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2011 11:44 pm

Quote :
Additionally I'll be turning 'Highway Mode' back on. GM used it on OBD1 cars to raise the commanded AFR to improve gas mileage. It's something the GM was forced by the government to turn off, as they thought it was cheating the C.A.F.E. numbers. But all the hard code is still in there. I just need to drop the engagement speed from the stupid 200 mph to something reasonable again like 50mph.

Interesting. Any more details on what exactly this is/was and how it works?
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 12:42 am

Shammoo update - Page 3 GEDC0223

Not shown here is the fact that My ports for the computer link are not in the console yet, as well as the ECM cooling fan still needs to be mounted. More pics to come as progress dictates.[/quote]

Thanks for supporting my job. If you like your computer, I'm glad. If not, blame me, everyone else does. Ha!

Console is wild. Keep the pics coming and good luck with everything.

-Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 12:58 am

You're the mythical "Mike from Dallas" everyone talks about from Dell Support.

For shame. My Studio 1536 has been a heap (I still kind of like it, though lol)
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 9:01 am

Stingroo wrote:
Quote :

Interesting. Any more details on what exactly this is/was and how it works?

First off, keep in mind that Since I'm on the equivalent of a 1992 Corvette Tuned Port Injection system, that I no longer use the same ECM that GM installed for your TBI engines. I'm using a "7730 ECM with an $8d mask and a highly modified bin (which is for BIG FREAKING motors and automatic transmissions.)

Frankly, I never bothered to find out what mask a 1991-1993 TBI uses, but reported is that the hard code was in there on most 88-92 TBI'd motors. I'd believe that given that they have a similar mask, and they are also speed density units. It's also likely that GM turned it off in later years, like in my 1992 Corvette BIN after they got caught with emissions issues.

When you open up the mask, programmed in there is a section listed under "optional modes" and HIGHWAY shows up. It is box where you can change your commanded AFR settings. What is does is ignores the normal "desire" to have your engine AFR at 14.7 (Stoich) and allows it to lean out by raising the AFR number to preselected values.

It works off of two primary items vehicle speed and work load on the engine. You set a speed where you want it to kick in. The vehicle has to maintain that speed (not under acceleration) for about eight seconds (also programmable). At that point it looks at how severly loaded the engine is. With less load you can get a leaner AFR, like 15-16.2. Generally we are taking 50-70% load. Past that % and the likelihood is that you have stomped on the gas, and the engine is under Acceleration Enrichment (AE), and Highway mode is ignored, until you meet the proper criteria again.

I spend a lot of time over at www.thirdgen.org to learn about programming. You can likely find out more on TBI programming there.

Of specific interest, look at the following threads on the topic. There are others.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/tbi/264120-highway-mode.html

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/diy-prom/408964-highway-mode.html

Last edited by lakeffect on Tue May 17, 2011 6:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 9:48 am

I'm already confused. lol

I'd love to learn about it, but I fear that's another one of those things I won't be able to understand.
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 10:06 am

I'm glad to hear that you're up and about. Here's hoping for a complete recovery.
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 10:08 am

Thanks all. Too much fun!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 10:06 pm

I threatened to post more pictures. Here they are.

In the beginning there was great void in the heavens. And a voice was heard from on high.

She said "Why are you ripping the **** out of the interior of the car again!" How much more money are you going to throw into that suck hole?

The void, sometimes also known as the black suckhole, or money pit.... you can see where the Corvette ECM now sits. Likely to get kind of toasty in there, just above the header pipes. That's why there will be a cooling fan for it.

Shammoo update - Page 3 GEDC0222

The upper part as the heavens were formed.

Shammoo update - Page 3 100_3513'

Per Joel's (sherlock 9C1)suggestion after last years WF10, the colors of thwe console were changes to unify the interior better. It now natches the dash much better

Shammoo update - Page 3 ShammoosDigitalCluster

The lower console fitting progresses.

Shammoo update - Page 3 100_3511

Upper unit takes shape.

Shammoo update - Page 3 100_3515

Upper section in final mockup form, not fully wired yet.

Shammoo update - Page 3 100_3542-1

Curious local cat questions my sanity.

Shammoo update - Page 3 Excuse_me

Business end of lower console.

Shammoo update - Page 3 100_3602

front side of same.

Shammoo update - Page 3 100_3603

New programming ports

Shammoo update - Page 3 100_3604

center section with new cloth to match seats.

Shammoo update - Page 3 100_3605

local bully from Impala SS forum stops by the harass me.

Shammoo update - Page 3 TheWTFcat

Slapped together for fun.

Shammoo update - Page 3 100_3613

Per Joel's suggestion after last years WF10, the colors f the console were changed to better unify the interior to grey , black and allen head screws.

Last edited by lakeffect on Mon May 23, 2011 9:28 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 10:14 pm

Dam that looks confusing to me. Glad you know what your doing.

Oh yeah and why did u want to know which way I was going to b traveling to Michigan?
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 7:17 am

Here's a few pics along the way as my work on the overhead console  progresses.

Adding bondo to cover the gaps. It was not a perfect fit in terms of contour match of the roof line. Soi I simply taped the sides up and slung a thick wad of fiberglass embedded bondo on it (tiger hair) It was easy to shape to my needs afterward. It doesn't need to be a paint quality finish... doesn't even need primer if you are going to recover it.

Shammoo update - Page 3 100_3609
Shammoo update - Page 3 100_3608

added matching upholstery fabric.

Shammoo update - Page 3 100_3618

adding purple LED"S for "cool" lights

Shammoo update - Page 3 100_3612

rat's nest of wires afterward.
Shammoo update - Page 3 100_3619

I've found using Radio Shack modular "Power Connectors" to be useful in most all my wiring projects they come in 2, 4, 6, 9, and 12 wire configurations. I used them for my digital dash project as well.

Shammoo update - Page 3 100_3621

I added a press on/off button as well to turn on the Purple LED's

Shammoo update - Page 3 100_3616

Still need to cut open the headliner and run wires but...
Almost time to install!

Shammoo update - Page 3 100_3620

Hopefully, it gets finished up this weekend.

Last edited by lakeffect on Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 10:05 am

iwas liking it right up ntill the press on/off button,.
Nice unobtrusive cheap little switch,.can only handle low current led stuff,.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/12V-ROUND-ROCKER-SWITCH-W-RED-LED-TOGGLE-SW-SPST-/320349996315?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4a9659051b
Nicer
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Activator-LCD-Touch-Switch-Purple-PlasmaGlow-Lighting-/230585533100?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35aff802ac
A central control pad with multiple touch switches would be even nicer,that lights up with the key on,..not labeled so only the operator knows whats what,Wink .

Nick
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 3:32 pm

Thanks for the idea Nick. I like the first one better you linked to as being unobtrusive.

Frankly I didn't like the red button I have either but couldn't find better.

Anyone seen that first button at an auto parts store. I've got Advance, Autozone, Napa and Pepboys in the area. would like to hook up with the part quickly.

Dave

(Thanks Nick)
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 3:34 pm

the Radio Shack in town has them. Should be in the same section as those connectors you use. Their website has them too.

Heres one:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062523

They also have one with a red LED instead of a white dot
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062534
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 6:21 pm

Thanks boys!

I'm past the point of no return. (no deposit either)

I started cutting up the front of the headliner to make a hole for mounting and wiring.

Being as the headliner material is 18 years old, all it took was a sharp new blade ina utility knife. Needed about a 3x4 inch hole.

Back seems even easier, as where the stock dome light is locataed is a good enough cross brass to mount the unit. Can't use the original mounting holes in the console that are already there, by two holes in a new spot to catch the lateral "B"'brace won't be bad.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 7:34 pm

How far down is it going to hang with the tweed covered surround installed?Really would like
to hear that engine of yours being abused a little and with the cost of gas just a little will be
fine by me.Do you have the Vin numbers of the other 2 shammoo's?I remember there use
to be a business in Hemmings that use to do searches for rare old cars.Dont know what it
cost to do but its been a while since I saw their ad.
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 6:16 am

Vins...
Interesting question. Never thought to ask. I'll try to get ahold of the boys at Kicker to find out. can't say that they'd be sequential , but "musta & shoodda" been darn close to it.

It hangs down about two inches. Since I have bucket seats, not benches, it does not interfere with head clearance.

(it's 6:15 in the morning.. the Dog wanted out. I'm going to take the luxury if sleeping in till 7:00am)
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 12:47 pm

The overhead dash is physically in. The courtesy light is functional. (first time I've ever had one working! The head unit wiring is down the "A" pillar as well, but I'm also adding a two gauge pillar cluster while I'm at it for future wideband O2 AFR and vacuum gauges.

Shammoo update - Page 3 100_3632

Shammoo update - Page 3 100_3628

Also below is how I plan on monitoring and cooling the ECM

You'll note the ECM has at temperature sensor mounted that projects into the cavity of the ECM. the reading will show up on the overhead console that just went into place.

The metal piece that you see on the right side is to show where the fan sensor will be mounted. It's held in place by half of a small turnbuckle. It works that I can use a thumbscrew from the top to hold the fan sensor in place.

Shammoo update - Page 3 100_3630

So if you've wondered what I'm taking about when you see the word Prominator, it's shown inside the ECM below. It is a chip replacement board that gets piggybacked (no sheep) onto the ECM board.
It's how I reprogram things from the laptop.

Shammoo update - Page 3 100_3627

Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 9:10 pm

Looking good so far. I love my overhead console. Best mod so far.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 9:25 pm

I like the overhead console a lot. Looks just like the one in our past Suburbans. Nice mod.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 9:31 pm

Looks sweet. You could leave the jolly red candy like button and label it History eraser button, if you are a Ren and Stimpy fan, or just label it eject so your passengers can worry.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 6:35 am

It matches the red licorice button on the lower console that activates the rear window latch and trundles the ZX-9 plutonium earth demodulator into firing position.

Shammoo update - Page 3 Earthdemodulator
Shammoo update - Page 3 Raygun
Shammoo update - Page 3 Raygun2

DON"T EVER PISS ME OFF AT A STOP LIGHT OR YOU ARE TOAST!
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 9:05 am

Sprocket wrote:
Looks sweet. You could leave the jolly red candy like button and label it History eraser button, if you are a Ren and Stimpy fan, or just label it eject so your passengers can worry.

Just keep that stupid cat away from the button.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 9:13 am

This time... not such a good update. I was working on getting my water temp gauge to work. It always read a cool 38*, and the oil pressure gauge has been acting wired by blinking on and off, going to zero. Yes there is plenty of oil.

The short story is that now Shammoo won't fire up again.

When I was fixing the coolant temp sensor, and opened the hood, there was little chunks of mud all over the engine. I have no idea how it got there, can't remember any puddles.

So I hosed of the engine. I started the engine later and noticed the coolant temp gauge now works. I had to change to a compatible sensor for the dash to read it. The engine sounded rough though Like it was missing a cylinder so I shut it off.

When I went to restart it about ten minutes later to see if the oil gauge was funtioning. NO START. Just kept cranking. Usually it starts right up. Oil gauge said ZERO. Don't think I can trust that to be accurate at this point.

Since the Ignition module is now remotely mounted I'll try swapping it out to another one.

If I recall correctly though, there is a oil pressure sensor at a fiiting down by the oil pump, drivers side. I beleive if there is a disruption of signal it tells the ECM not to start the engine TO PROTECT IT..

No pressure, No start.

THIS DRIVES ME NUTS!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 9:56 am

As Mike would say - all part of the fun.

Hopefully it's something simple like that sensor or something.

P.S. Still haven't seen/heard any videos of the beast. This must be fixed!
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 11:13 am

Thanks Stringroo.

BY THE WAY... WHAT THEY HELL IS A STINGROO ANYWAY?

... cross between a kangaroo and a sting ray?

Back to topic. SO i turned it over and it actually started. But very rough again.
Got out the trusty ol' Lazer temperature gun and shot the header pipes about 2" from the block flange. Cyls 5&7 were running abut 200* colder than wire 1&3. Kind of closed the hood gently over my head to darken under there and could see pretty blue sparks jumping from those wires to the headers. Wires seem to last about six months, even with asbestos boots on them. Maybe I need a little header wrap thrown on there as well.

Tested the oil gauge on the digital dash to check its function. It responds to grounding by going high. So I know that is functioning OK. Need to check the wire to the sensor at the back of the motor. (pain in the butt to get to)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 11:36 am

Sounds like you might have a critter problem and its tracking mud up into your engine compartment.Whenever things start to suddenly work or operate eradically and there is
mud/dirt,its a critter.Still would love to hear your engine running and going down the road maybe.
Take Care and thank a Vet
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 8:31 pm

Critters... never even gave it a thought! That makes sense, it rained like hell, and we have lots of stray cats in the area due to the neighborhood "cat lady",.

Well, I got to Advance auto, and picked up a few new Accel 8mm universal spark plug wires.
I added a new twist though, I saw some foil wrapped convoluted tubing inside the Asbestos spark plug boots for added high temp protection.

It started roght up, and the opil pressure gauge is also working. Might have had stray juice from the bad wires affecting the sensor or the wire.
So now for the first time ALL my gauges work. ( must be time to rewire something)

Also put the switch that Nick recommended into the overhead unit. I must say it looks so much better than the big red button.

Thanks for the idea Nick!

Stingroo... On videos of Shammoo, mMy son wants me to buy a video camera. He's going to be running in Micro-Sprints and wants them taped. I also want film of when we do laps of Watkins Glen.
( Pics coming shortly)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 10:20 pm

Hey Dave I have one of those $55 sensors for the oil pressure gauge to install.Right now my
OP gauge stays pegged except when idling hot with the A/C on.Then the gauge will drop off
the peg to just below the midway spot on the gauge.Sensor #10222130 and I hope its the
right part number.If not I have a bunch of seding units for my OCC I bought last year on
closeout from Rock Auto.Started buying switches for my 95 RMW when Rock Auto puts them
on close out.Hard to beat these prices anywhere when they start going for 8 to 12 bucks each.
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 10:58 pm

My gauge is part of the Nordskog digital cluster that I put in last year. It came with a new sender for both oil and water. I didn't original swap out to the new water temp sensor, and that was the problem With the temp gauge.

Oil gauge issue seemed to be related to the bad plug wires as the sender wire runs right by them.

200OZ (Mike) just pulled out a dual fan setup from his parts cars for me. That will go in soon. It will help get rid of the mechanical fan and create a better path for cooler into the TPI intake.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 11:04 pm

I have the electric fans and shroud and hardware that I want to install in my OCC just need to
get my butt in gear and do it!
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 7:25 am

Flash, I'm assuming you are putting it into a 91-93 unit? We should compare notes.

Last year I ran the Trigger wires from the ECM out into the engine bay. Mike may have also pulled several others bits and pieces for me to make it easier, Radiator, shroud, fans, wiring harnesses, Relay box etc.

Hoping for a clean installation. Don't really want a lot of down time on it.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 10:42 am

Just got off the phone to order a wideband AFR kit and a Vacuum gauge. Both will go into the "A" pillar pod that I got last year at WF10 of one of my fellow forum members. Can't recall who. (CRS)

They are also Red digital displays to match up with the rest of the system that's in place.So it should look nice.

Only odd piece is the overhead temp/compass which is in blue (aqua?)
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 5:50 pm

here's a few extra photos of John's (Bewber) shirts. and stickers that I've acquired recently

Shammoo update - Page 3 HaulsAss2

Shammoo update - Page 3 SavetheWhales

Shammoo update - Page 3 Savethewhalest-shirt

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 8:09 pm

Dave were you mad at someone or do you always look that way?
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 8:10 pm

His sheep got out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 9:17 pm

OK that explains the look of "oh crap I bet they ran off with the neighbors sheep again"
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 10:01 pm

It was 92 degrees and I'd been wiring inside the car for two hours.
At sixty years old, at least all my hair is still there.... well at least on my head.

The good new is the Deathstar ... overhead console is fully operational.

Tomorrow the lower section on the center console gets mounted. It's been bench tested, just needs to line lined up and hooked up.

Last will be upper section on the center console with the video screen, CD/DVD player and light controls.

I need to lengthen some of the speaker leads first as there are too short to ease hook up.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 8:22 am

I ordered and received a two new gauges. A wide band O2 sensor and a vacuum gauge kit from Glowshift. They are Red digital units that will match my other dash displays.

I got my water temp unit finally displaying correctly. Different sensor in place now ( the one that came with the kit DOH!!) and it's fine.

Lower half of the floor console is in place and functioning as well. Although I need to re-pin one spot on the ECM to accept the wide band signal. Not a big deal to change.

My push is to have all the dash and console wiring done by the weeks end. I've been on vacation all week, so that has helped give me the opportunity to giterdun!

Pics to come.
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 8:34 am

I'm always impressed with your mods. You have far more patience than I would!
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shammoo update   Shammoo update - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shammoo update
Page 3 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next