GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Are the TBI 9C1 and Civi odometers the same?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Cadet57

Cadet57

Are the TBI 9C1 and Civi odometers the same? Empty
PostSubject: Are the TBI 9C1 and Civi odometers the same?   Are the TBI 9C1 and Civi odometers the same? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 8:34 am

I've been spinning my 9C1 cluster to my cars mileage with a drill, and there has to be an easier way. It took me like 20 minutes to go 3,000 miles. And I have to go from 216k all the way back to 135k. So then I took one of my spare clusters apart and found the actual "drum" with the numbers looks similar to the civilian one. Are they? If thats the case I think I may just swap the two to save the hassle of having to spin the odometer manually.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Are the TBI 9C1 and Civi odometers the same?   Are the TBI 9C1 and Civi odometers the same? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 8:15 pm

If they are exactly alike you can swap them. It is easy to take them apart and reset the numbers without swapping them. Carefully (you have to reuse it) remove the small metal clip on the motor end of the tumbler shaft, and remove the rod with the tumblers on it. The nylon strap comes off of the back, and it is a simple set of Geneva gears that run it. Once you unlock the strap on the back you can adjust the numbers to whatever you want. It takes me about 10 minutes (practice makes you faster),. The tabs that are held by the nylon strap have to be lined up before you put the nylon strap back on. IIRC you will have to manipulate the wheels in order starting with the smallest increment (tenths of a mile) to the largest, or hold the lowest and rotate the rest.

If the old odometer does not swap in, and you can not figure it out, send it to me with $10, and postage both ways, and I will set it for you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are the TBI 9C1 and Civi odometers the same?   Are the TBI 9C1 and Civi odometers the same? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 10:01 pm

Damn Fred,why so generous? What a Face I mean a dollar a minute,even lawyers dont make that do they? pirat
Sometimes I think you might be in this business to make money off of us instead of for your love of these wagons:lol!:
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Are the TBI 9C1 and Civi odometers the same?   Are the TBI 9C1 and Civi odometers the same? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 10:50 pm

Lawyers charge way more than that. Even mechanics charge $75 per hour here.

All that aside, I have a bunch of bad habits I have to keep up with, like eating, living under a roof, and wearing clothes. I am finally getting my Bachelor's degree, and currently do not have a job. I appreciate the support the community has given me, and I give alot of experience away for free.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are the TBI 9C1 and Civi odometers the same?   Are the TBI 9C1 and Civi odometers the same? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 11:56 pm

Well congrats on getting your Bachelors degree Fred and I am being serious here.What is your degree in?Oh and concerning the lawyer and mechanic making more money,at least they kiss you
first! lol!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Are the TBI 9C1 and Civi odometers the same?   Are the TBI 9C1 and Civi odometers the same? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 12:53 am

No they do not kiss you. It is a little lower, and not quite as pleasant.

Degree is in Psychology.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Are the TBI 9C1 and Civi odometers the same?   Are the TBI 9C1 and Civi odometers the same? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 1:22 pm

Fun fact. 9C1 and Civi odometers are NOT the same. The gears are different. However, and this is just a guess, the OCC/RM/9C1 odometers would be the same since they are all placed in the same position in their respective clusters.
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: Are the TBI 9C1 and Civi odometers the same?   Are the TBI 9C1 and Civi odometers the same? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 1:33 pm

There's got to be a way to take it apart and roll it back. I've done it on my '87 Toyota and my '91 Ford. Just take a look at it and try to figure out how it works. That's what I did, and I got it them both to roll back easily once I figured out the tricks. And hey, if you screw it up, PM 95BRMW I know he bought an RMS cluster for parts last year, I'm sure he still has it.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Are the TBI 9C1 and Civi odometers the same?   Are the TBI 9C1 and Civi odometers the same? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 1:36 pm

Lynol wrote:
There's got to be a way to take it apart and roll it back. I've done it on my '87 Toyota and my '91 Ford. Just take a look at it and try to figure out how it works. That's what I did, and I got it them both to roll back easily once I figured out the tricks. And hey, if you screw it up, PM 95BRMW I know he bought an RMS cluster for parts last year, I'm sure he still has it.

Oh, both roll back fine. But the gear drives for both are different. That's the issue. We just ended up rolling the 9C1 back to where it needed to be.
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: Are the TBI 9C1 and Civi odometers the same?   Are the TBI 9C1 and Civi odometers the same? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 1:38 pm

Cadet57 wrote:
Lynol wrote:

Oh, both roll back fine. But the gear drives for both are different. That's the issue. We just ended up rolling the 9C1 back to where it needed to be.
How long did it take? I just took mine completely apart on the Ford and repositioned each wheel where I needed it to be to read the right mileage.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Are the TBI 9C1 and Civi odometers the same?   Are the TBI 9C1 and Civi odometers the same? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 1:39 pm

Lynol wrote:
Cadet57 wrote:
Lynol wrote:

How long did it take? I just took mine completely apart on the Ford and repositioned each wheel where I needed it to be to read the right mileage.

5 minutes? Not long at all.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Are the TBI 9C1 and Civi odometers the same?   Are the TBI 9C1 and Civi odometers the same? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 1:43 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
If they are exactly alike you can swap them. It is easy to take them apart and reset the numbers without swapping them. Carefully (you have to reuse it) remove the small metal clip on the motor end of the tumbler shaft, and remove the rod with the tumblers on it. The nylon strap comes off of the back, and it is a simple set of Geneva gears that run it. Once you unlock the strap on the back you can adjust the numbers to whatever you want. It takes me about 10 minutes (practice makes you faster),. The tabs that are held by the nylon strap have to be lined up before you put the nylon strap back on. IIRC you will have to manipulate the wheels in order starting with the smallest increment (tenths of a mile) to the largest, or hold the lowest and rotate the rest.

I already did a writeup a few posts above.
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: Are the TBI 9C1 and Civi odometers the same?   Are the TBI 9C1 and Civi odometers the same? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 1:46 pm

Cadet57 wrote:
Lynol wrote:
Cadet57 wrote:
Lynol wrote:

5 minutes? Not long at all.
Yeah the method Fred describes here is the same way I had to do the odo in the Toyota, so I guess it's pretty standard. Didn't work like that on my Ford though, but, it is a Ford.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Are the TBI 9C1 and Civi odometers the same?   Are the TBI 9C1 and Civi odometers the same? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 2:36 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
Fred Kiehl wrote:

I already did a writeup a few posts above.

scratch

The odo's arent the same. Rolling it back wasn't the issue. The problem is that THE. GEARS.ARE.NOT.THE.SAME
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Are the TBI 9C1 and Civi odometers the same?   Are the TBI 9C1 and Civi odometers the same? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 4:28 pm

Your original issue was rolling back the speedo. That is what I addressed.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Are the TBI 9C1 and Civi odometers the same?   Are the TBI 9C1 and Civi odometers the same? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 4:38 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
Your original issue was rolling back the speedo. That is what I addressed.

I give up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are the TBI 9C1 and Civi odometers the same?   Are the TBI 9C1 and Civi odometers the same? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Are the TBI 9C1 and Civi odometers the same?
Page 1 of 1