GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is.

Go down 
+7
rh96ss
BigBlackBeaSSt
jimbeau
Fred Kiehl
Sprocket
phantom 309
Krzdimond
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is. Empty
PostSubject: Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is.   Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 8:40 pm

There is a statement in the first paragraph of EVERY procedure that advises to disconnect the battery. I have read this SO many times that I no longer see it. WEEELLLLLLLL.............

As some of you know, My AC compressor died the morning I left for Daytona and I ran the whole weekend "oldschool" with the windows down. It SUCKED Very Happy

Anyway, I purchased all of the needed parts and started the compressor replacement today. All of the nuts/bolts came off easy except for the God forsaken nut #22. You know, the one that holds the hoses to the compressor. This damned nut would not budge, so I hooked up a 15mm deepwell socket and 3 extensions to my favorite 3/8 drive craftsman ratchet. Well, I applied a buttload of leverage and the nut broke..... and the ratchet slipped put of my greasy hand and shorted out on the positive connection on the starter to the frame. WHOOPS!!! I instinctively hit the ratchet to break the connection, but it slipped back on with a shower of sparks. I hit it again, but it didn't move this time. I hauled ass out from under the car and started to disconnect the battery. Too late. I managed to melt the positive side of the battery and set my car on fire! Grabbed the water hose and extinguished the flames and surveyed the damage.

As far as I can tell, both the negative and positive battery cables are melted and shot. The battery is useless as I managed to melt the positive connection and the insert came out Embarassed Embarassed (will see how liberal Autozone's "lifetime warranty" is...) and I completely melted my ratchet's internals. Sears will also get tested on their return policy.

Soooooooo.........

Do all of the B bodies share the same battery cables? If not, I have a 96 and need to know what's compatible.

and what else could I have fried? No battery to test, but it is easy to remove the starter for testing..... if there is a chance it is fried too, but I'd rather not remove it if it is insulated from this kind of thing...
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is.   Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 8:45 pm

Sparky,. you might look at garry,s cables they look pretty beefy,..
There'll be a bunch of internet guess's,.but until you hook battery power to it,. you won't know,.
Don't remove the starter till you try it,. you might be surprised,.

Nick
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is.   Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 8:50 pm

sorry but I just couldn't stop laughing.....I watched my buddy hit an air cleaner across the batt and weld it while his shirtless torso was 6 inches above it. Thanks for the memory Smile

+1 on Gary's cables, If you gotta buy some muight as well buy the good ones, or mebbie someone is parting a car with some decent cables on the cheap...
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is.   Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 9:03 pm

There are times when even I disconnect the battery. Working around the battery/starter is a good reason.

I would have liked to have seen that. It must have been exciting.

I think the LT1 cables are all the same.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is.   Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2012 3:45 pm

You didn't hurt the starter. Just inspect both ends of the hot & ground cables and the terminals closely for damage.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is.   Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2012 4:02 pm

Cool on the starter.

And Nick, my wife wanted me to thank you........ she has been calling me "Sparky" since yesterday Rolling Eyes

I cannot afford Gerry's wires. I was thinking junkyard stock replacements. $325 for the parts, and another $100 for the battery and I have blown the budget for this repair.

And from what I understand, the LT1's came in either top or side mount configurations. I just thought the wires would be different also, maybe it was just the battery
connection
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is.   Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2012 5:13 pm

IIRC, the stock wires were #6 gauge.
I went to #4 gauge all the way around,
with an 80's Z-28 starter, and my ride spins over like an old mopar.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is.   Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2012 6:26 pm

Dear moderator. It seems that a certain member is fraudulent with his sign on name. Or at least it needs an update.

How can we change Krzdimond to Sparky? Laughing Laughing Laughing

I have welded a screwdriver or two in my day!!!! Shocked
Back to top Go down
rh96ss

PostSubject: Re: Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is.   Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Too bad I am still in MIA, I have 2 or 3 stock cable sets at home from when I replaced mine.
Back to top Go down
94X2

94X2

PostSubject: Re: Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is.   Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 10:51 am

I think I've got a set still on the black car. LMK if you need them.

Jon
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is.   Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 11:00 am

I need them.

PM sent
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is.   Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 12:31 pm

As an option,. see exactly what is fried,. and you can cut it out of the 3 wire harness and run an extra cable in its place,. i made up 3 separate wires on my old gold roady, was still cheaper than buying a factory piece,.

It,s about time you posted some pucs of the carnage,.

Nick
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is.   Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 2:51 pm

Do lights turn on when you walk in a room now??

Man no fun at all. Glad YOU are ok and hope it all goes back together smoothly!
Back to top Go down
94X2

94X2

PostSubject: Re: Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is.   Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 3:49 pm

Practicing for the 4th of July?

Jon
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is.   Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 8:16 pm

Battery came in yesterday and cables came in today. Check EVERY connection 3 times, then ran a test light - just to be sure - before I hooked up the battery cherry

All well with no smoke and the ground cable stayed cool......

opened the door and the lights came on..... good....

inserted the key and heard the chime........

turned the key and......... click. Just...... click.

Unhooked the battery and proceeded to remove the starter. Took it back to AutoZone to exploit the lifetime warranty. Cute little thing behind the counter might not be the brightest..... but she is proof - in - fact that cleavage = kids

Anyway, back on topic. She tested the starter and it passed, even though it didn't spin. Got the replacement tucked under my arm and left with a smile. Shims were a pain, but it went in without incident.

Hooked up the battery again, checked the lights, listened for the "ding" when the key is inserted..... turned the key and......

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!

So it seems that shorting it out did take out the starter......

Pictures will follow, slow network now.

Next on the list is to add the R134A and check that for leaks.......
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is.   Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 8:45 pm

Good to hear Robert!!
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is.   Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 9:18 pm

attaboy sparky!!

the round disc in the solenoid was mebbe burnt away where it arc'd,.,.

Nick
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is.   Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 8:18 am

GOOD DEAL!!
Back to top Go down
gmtech

gmtech

PostSubject: Re: Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is.   Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 7:10 pm

Krzdimond wrote:
There is a statement in the first paragraph of EVERY procedure that advises to disconnect the battery. I have read this SO many times that I no longer see it. WEEELLLLLLLL.............

As some of you know, My AC compressor died the morning I left for Daytona and I ran the whole weekend "oldschool" with the windows down. It SUCKED Very Happy

Anyway, I purchased all of the needed parts and started the compressor replacement today. All of the nuts/bolts came off easy except for the God forsaken nut #22. You know, the one that holds the hoses to the compressor. This damned nut would not budge, so I hooked up a 15mm deepwell socket and 3 extensions to my favorite 3/8 drive craftsman ratchet. Well, I applied a buttload of leverage and the nut broke..... and the ratchet slipped put of my greasy hand and shorted out on the positive connection on the starter to the frame. WHOOPS!!! I instinctively hit the ratchet to break the connection, but it slipped back on with a shower of sparks. I hit it again, but it didn't move this time. I hauled ass out from under the car and started to disconnect the battery. Too late. I managed to melt the positive side of the battery and set my car on fire! Grabbed the water hose and extinguished the flames and surveyed the damage.

As far as I can tell, both the negative and positive battery cables are melted and shot. The battery is useless as I managed to melt the positive connection and the insert came out Embarassed Embarassed (will see how liberal Autozone's "lifetime warranty" is...) and I completely melted my ratchet's internals. Sears will also get tested on their return policy.

Soooooooo.........

Do all of the B bodies share the same battery cables? If not, I have a 96 and need to know what's compatible.

and what else could I have fried? No battery to test, but it is easy to remove the starter for testing..... if there is a chance it is fried too, but I'd rather not remove it if it is insulated from this kind of thing...

I want to see some pics of the end results of the shorted ratchet to the starter cable. Good show and tell for my students as to why you need to disconnect the battery before working on the car.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is.   Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 8:46 pm

Here are the pics..

Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is. 007

Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is. 008

Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is. 009

Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is. 010

Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is. 011

Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is. 012

Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is. 014-1
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is.   Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 9:08 pm

Crispy fried WB4
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is.   Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 9:27 pm

Not crispy, Cajun fried Just blackened....
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is.   Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 9:58 pm

Doesn't look like there is anything wrong with the wires themselves, just the ugly looking melted insulation.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is.   Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 9:25 am

I was told a story about Shammoo from a previous owner, Dale Nasmith in Portland Oregon. At one time Shammoo had FIVE batteries in it to provide WHOOPH for the subwhoophers. Dale came out into the garage one day to the smell of somebody in the neighborhood,very nearby, grilling chicken.

It was closer than he thought. A squirrel had somehow managed to touch across the gazillion amp terminals to become deep fried McSquirrel nuggets.

The other white meat. Tastes like chicken.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is.   Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is. Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 7:50 pm

Got any pics of the battery and how it melted? I just saved the pics to show and emphasize to my students why you disconnect the battery when performing work around unfused positive wires. Perfect timing since I'm in the battery unit right now Wink
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is.   Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is. Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 8:02 pm

no, but the lead connector was melted down the side of the battery and the *tin* insert came out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is.   Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Those that write the FSM'a are more smarter than I is.
Page 1 of 1