GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What's this Terminal???

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
COL

COL

What's this Terminal??? Empty
PostSubject: What's this Terminal???   What's this Terminal??? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2012 11:04 am

Can someone tell me what this terminal under the dash is, on driver's side? Also where is the best place to pick up the hot lead for an electric trailer brake? Thanks.

What's this Terminal??? Oldsunderdash006-1
What's this Terminal??? Oldsunderdash004

Thanks
Dick
'92 OCC
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: What's this Terminal???   What's this Terminal??? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2012 11:08 am

google ALDL connector,.

basically the plug in for computer diagnostics,.on your old TBI car you can put a paper clip between a couple of the terminals to get the computer to flash the trouble codes if you get a check engine light.

nick
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: What's this Terminal???   What's this Terminal??? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2012 11:19 am

COL, my trailer towing have been over for awhile; but if I remember correctly you would have to go to the source (battery) as the electric brakes are a hefty load. You need a decent size wire also, guessing atleast a #10. I know you have been towing the airsteam for quit a while, so you probably already know what I said.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: What's this Terminal???   What's this Terminal??? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2012 11:25 am

silverfox103 wrote:
COL, my trailer towing have been over for awhile; but if I remember correctly you would have to go to the source (battery) as the electric brakes are a hefty load. You need a decent size wire also, guessing atleast a #10. I know you have been towing the airsteam for quit a while, so you probably already know what I said.
C.
Thanks Tom. I did not wire the brake myself on my Caddy and it is gone along with my trusted mechanic. I opened the box that the controler came in and found the same answer.
COL Neutral
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: ALDL   What's this Terminal??? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2012 11:34 am

phantom 309 wrote:
google ALDL connector,.

basically the plug in for computer diagnostics,.on your old TBI car you can put a paper clip between a couple of the terminals to get the computer to flash the trouble codes if you get a check engine light.

nick

Thanks Nick. I looked it up. I know the 92/TBI models are old, but a lot more complicated than my last cars. 1958 Cad, 1955 Cad and 1965 VW.
I think I will refrain from sticking paper clip in the terminal however.......
Dick
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: What's this Terminal???   What's this Terminal??? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2012 11:53 am

COL wrote:
phantom 309 wrote:
google ALDL connector,.

nick

I think I will refrain from sticking paper clip in the terminal however.......
Dick
It might seem strange at first, but like everything else in life from riding your first bicycle, you first cell phone,. your computer etc,
once you learn the information needed, it'll seem more simple,.
Google is your friend,.the paperclip trick is as old as your car itself,.obviously you need to learn which two ports to jump across,.
Quote :

The Quick Paper Clip Test
Since we are looking at the connector pins, it should be mentioned here that a quick method to see which trouble code or codes are being set in your cars ECM is to jumper the A and B pins of the 12 pin ALDL OBD1 connector with a paper clip. While the car is off, sitting still, turn the ignition key forward while this jumper is in place. Do not start the car. The Service Engine Soon ( SES ) light will flash in a repeating sequence, telling which trouble codes have been set in the ECM. A service manual for your year car will have a chart outlining what each trouble code stands for, or this Trouble Code website can be of help. This paper clip method will tell you the trouble code or codes set in your ECM, but it will not tell you what conditions the trouble code is being set under, or let you clear the trouble codes on the fly, as the ALDL cable and PC setup will.

What's this Terminal??? Obd1pinout2
Having technical knowledge is important, even if you choose not apply the knowledge practically,

I lived on the west coast, and the residents there do view new technology as something thats not needed for their way of life,.

I see it all the time tho, that people seem to find a certain pace of technology that suits them,. and oft times think that older is better etc,.hence the saying "they just don't make them like they used to" usually that translates to the fact they haven't embraced any newer technology than that time period,.

Nick

Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: What's this Terminal???   What's this Terminal??? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2012 5:18 pm

Thanks Nick. I have a Service Manual s I will read that part. It is 100 times bigger than the phone book in Lincoln City OR so it will take antother life time to read. Thanks. I have learned a lot from this forum already.
On a trip to Portland OR the cruise quit working. I had read that the center brake light may not be working or the hatch may not be shut. I stopped, cheched the glass hatch and bingo, CC on the OCC was working again.
Dick
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's this Terminal???   What's this Terminal??? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What's this Terminal???
Page 1 of 1