GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rear diff question

Go down 
+8
jasonlachapelle
jimbeau
phantom 309
sherlock9c1
Sprocket
brokecello
Krzdimond
gmtech
12 posters
AuthorMessage
gmtech

gmtech

Rear diff question Empty
PostSubject: Rear diff question   Rear diff question Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 5:53 pm

What difference is there between the sedan rear diff and the wagon rear diff? I know the wagon is wider, but by how much? Has anyone swapped in a sedan diff into their wagon? If so, what problems did you encounter, if any? By putting the narrower sedan diff in the wagon what would be the biggest wheel I can fit in the wheel well w/o any other modifications? Wheel offset?
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

Rear diff question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear diff question   Rear diff question Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 6:14 pm

Wagon axle is 3" wider and all mounting points are 1.5" off.

Some will say it WILL NOT FIT, but others have done it without issues.....
Back to top Go down
gmtech

gmtech

Rear diff question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear diff question   Rear diff question Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 6:23 pm

Also, would using the sedan control arms make any difference? Or are they of the same dimensions? Looking at a rear diff for real cheap, low miles, posi-trac and it comes with the factory mounted sway bar.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

Rear diff question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear diff question   Rear diff question Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 9:54 pm

Control arms are the same...its the perch mounts that are off..

Nogonzo did it I think?
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
Sprocket

Sprocket

Rear diff question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear diff question   Rear diff question Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 10:57 pm

Bewb did it, there is a wagon down here that 94 SSled on ISSF owns with one (bought Klez's old two tone wagon), I have pics and email from another who did it.

I got a 96 9C1 rear on the side of the house I'm gonna stuff up under my 94 Caprice.
From the two I looked at in person, it's not that big of a deal unless you are going to take the car to the track. Yes the mounts are off a bit, aand I may re-weld the perches as I have access to a welder.

to semi-quote the guy who showed up at WF a few years ago, "I didn't know it couldn't be done until I did it and showed up here"
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

Rear diff question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear diff question   Rear diff question Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 11:10 pm

One caveat - remember that sedans are not rated to support the cargo weight (NOT towing weight, cargo weight) that the wagons are. Part of the wagon axle's uniqueness is that the rear axle bearings are larger. As we all know, GM does not select a unique part unless they really need to, so if you put a sedan rear axle in, don't go filling the cargo area with bricks or tile afterward.

Then again, if you're just doing it so you can fit big wheels/tires under, I trust you won't be stylin' at Home Depot anytime soon. Smile
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

Rear diff question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear diff question   Rear diff question Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 11:54 pm

sherlock9c1 wrote:
One caveat - remember that sedans are not rated to support the cargo weight (NOT towing weight, cargo weight) that the wagons are. Part of the wagon axle's uniqueness is that the rear axle bearings are larger. As we all know, GM does not select a unique part unless they really need to, so if you put a sedan rear axle in, don't go filling the cargo area with bricks or tile afterward.

Then again, if you're just doing it so you can fit big wheels/tires under, I trust you won't be stylin' at Home Depot anytime soon. Smile

Echoes of bill harper,.

Funny how nobody ever bats an eyelid about a half ton carrying twice its rated capacity,. or me and my 3/4 ton with 4400lbs of gravel in the box pulling a tandem trailer with 22x 100lb bags of cement,.

you really think the sedan rear would fail hauling a heavy load?
personally i doubt it,.and i,ve never heard of a case,.
but it makes good internets drama,.

Back to top Go down
jimbeau

Rear diff question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear diff question   Rear diff question Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 12:08 am

There's a good reason for the heavier bearings. What IS it, Nick?
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

Rear diff question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear diff question   Rear diff question Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 12:14 am

jimbeau wrote:
There's a good reason for the heavier bearings. What IS it, Nick?

I dunno,. you tell me,.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

Rear diff question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear diff question   Rear diff question Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 1:57 am

I'll make a wild guess that testing at GM found they were needed for the axle to hold up under frequent full-cargo weight use.

Just a guess, you understand.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

Rear diff question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear diff question   Rear diff question Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 10:57 am

jimbeau wrote:
I'll make a wild guess that testing at GM found they were needed for the axle to hold up under frequent full-cargo weight use.

Just a guess, you understand.
Reasonable guess, i,d guess,.

wonder if the bigger diameter axle has anything to do with it?

wonder if we took the two bearings and subtracted inner dia from outer dia etc,. wonder where we'd end up ? what conclusion might we come too?? width plays a part too,.

Then we need to put into the mix the availability of parts already being used,. uniquely to specific is one thing,

The GM 10 bolt rear is used in a whole lot of vehicles,.not just wagons and sedans,.
different axles fit more than one vehicle, different spline counts,. yet the side gears can be changed to use a different but similar axle,. blah blah blah,...

oh and if you study parts interchange books you'll find certain specific, or "unique" bearings are used by different manufacturers for their rear ends, not oem brand specific,.
I.E the timken 1559 bearing used in a gm 10 bolt is also used in a chrysler 7.5 diff etc,. etc,.

So as i said,.i personally wouldn't worry,.

having said that, if the sedan rear in a wagon was used 12hrs a day to haul full capacity loads at 70mph while towing at full capacity,.and to satisfy the type "A" personalities that are always looking for that 1 possible scenario and frantically using google to find it,.....

then i might switch the axle for a full floating 14 bolt corporate,.,.

but thats just me,..

ever wonder why some folks spend so much money on 1 super duty million mile part, only to drive it occasionally??

It makes 'em feel good,.

Nick

Back to top Go down
jimbeau

Rear diff question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear diff question   Rear diff question Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 11:11 am

I wouldn't worry either, but I also wouldn't chide Joel for adding factual information.
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

Rear diff question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear diff question   Rear diff question Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 12:47 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
width plays a part too,.
Some would say that's what it's all about.

Last edited by jasonlachapelle on Wed May 02, 2012 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

Rear diff question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear diff question   Rear diff question Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 1:35 pm

Nick, well put. It's all an engineering judgment, just laying it out there. Good counterpoint.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

Rear diff question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear diff question   Rear diff question Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 1:38 pm

jimbeau wrote:
I wouldn't worry either, but I also wouldn't chide Joel for adding factual information.
factual?,. somewhat,. dramatic?,. definitely, with no shred of scientific proof or even hearsay evidence,.,.

Had it just been left at "the wagon has a bigger rear outer axle bearing to better deal with heavy loads under extreme conditions",. but the inference to driving to home depot and adding a load, and that imminent catastrophic failure will ensue,........Pfffft,.

No,... i'll chide a little,. Wink

Nick
2 bolt vs 4 bolt mains? 9/16ths ball joints vs 5/8ths? orange vs green coolant,.mechanical fan vs twin electrics,.
yada yada yada,.

Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

Rear diff question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear diff question   Rear diff question Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 1:56 pm

TBI vs. LT1 Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage
scoffman

scoffman

Rear diff question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear diff question   Rear diff question Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 2:06 pm

Olds Weighty Eight wrote:
TBI vs. LT1 Razz

I see what you did there. Laughing
Back to top Go down
yakko

yakko

Rear diff question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear diff question   Rear diff question Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 3:05 pm

Is the differantial the same in all 8.5 10 bolt rears. I have a 9C1 limmited slip diff. to use if they are the same. Smile

Thanks
Randy
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

Rear diff question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear diff question   Rear diff question Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 5:19 pm

yakko wrote:
Is the differantial the same in all 8.5 10 bolt rears. I have a 9C1 limmited slip diff. to use if they are the same. Smile

Thanks
Randy

make sure the cones are still good before you do,.
if your car has 2.56 gears? it won't fit,.(just the carrier we're talking here)
2.93 gears? it will fit,.

what year 9c1 diff?
if its the 3;42 setup use the gears and diff,.

yes it will physically fit,.

Nick
Back to top Go down
yakko

yakko

Rear diff question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear diff question   Rear diff question Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 9:07 pm

It is a 1994 9C1 with 3.42 gears. I was thinking of swaping all the guts over.

Randy
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

Rear diff question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear diff question   Rear diff question Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 12:13 am

yakko wrote:
It is a 1994 9C1 with 3.42 gears. I was thinking of swaping all the guts over.

Randy

94's came factory with 3.08's,.
93's were 3:42's

Nick
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

Rear diff question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear diff question   Rear diff question Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 7:54 am

gmtech wrote:
Also, would using the sedan control arms make any difference? Or are they of the same dimensions? Looking at a rear diff for real cheap, low miles, posi-trac and it comes with the factory mounted sway bar.

Not sure the sway bar would work without some adaptation on the sedan rear in a wagon. There might be enough wiggle in the slotted holes in the bar.

But of course the Ford sedan bar would work.
Back to top Go down
yakko

yakko

Rear diff question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear diff question   Rear diff question Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 8:23 pm

Nick,
The 94 9C1 I have was rebuilt with 3.42:1 gears. I was thinking of changing out my wagons 2.56:1 carrier and gears with the posi carrier and gears. I think the 30 spline wagon axles fit the 30 spline sedan diff. I just need to move the carrier and gears from the sedan axle into the wagon. Right? Of course I would have to go through a set up with pinion depth and back lash. But the carriers have the same perch. or are they different?

Randy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rear diff question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear diff question   Rear diff question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear diff question
Page 1 of 1