GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes

Go down 
+5
buickestate
jimbeau
Cadet57
81X11
scoffman
9 posters
AuthorMessage

Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes Empty
PostSubject: Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes   Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 3:01 pm

So... I have a strange coolant leak. It's not coming from the hoses. I lifted the car on stands, and if I squeeze the hose that comes out of the water pump, I see it leaking like, behind the harmonic balancer.

However, up top, I don't see where the mating surfaces for the water pump are wet. Should I pull it and re-seat? Could it be a freeze plug? Am I screwed?

Sad Thoughts, gents?
Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes   Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 3:43 pm

Check for leak coming out of the water pump weep holes. They are located on the water pump close to the pully shaft. Follow the pully shaft to the pump housing look for little round hole. There should be one on top and one on bottom. When coolant is leaking from these holes the insides of the water pump are going bad.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes   Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 3:49 pm

Yep, weep hole is a good guess. Water pump time.

Better design than my stupid Dodge that leaked from the shaft and spun coolant everywhere....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes   Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 4:27 pm

I hope it's the water pump. That stupid thing has lifetime replacement. Smile Will check it out.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes   Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 7:40 pm

scoffman wrote:
Check for leak coming out of the water pump weep holes. They are located on the water pump close to the pully shaft. Follow the pully shaft to the pump housing look for little round hole. There should be one on top and one on bottom. When coolant is leaking from these holes the insides of the water pump are going bad.

+1

My brothers '93 did that two weeks ago. Brand new pump too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes   Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 8:42 pm

Okay, I can't see anything coming from the weep hole(s?). I DO see, when under the car and it's running, coolant coming from the gasket that is behind the harmonic balancer.

So... timing cover gasket? I don't understand, that doesn't make sense to me.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes   Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 9:42 pm

Sounds like it could be coming out of the back end of the pump drive, then running down the front cover.

unless you have a pinhole leak in one of the heater hoses that is streaming right at the front cover.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes   Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 9:47 pm

No heater hoses at all, so that can't be it. I think your first idea is on the money.

Guess it's time to pull the pump and take it back to Retard Auto Parts.

Good thing it has a lifetime warranty.

Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes   Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 11:13 am

Unfortunately most retard auto parts places only recognize that lifetime warranty on the first part purchased. Hope the replacement doesn't fail too.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes   Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 11:17 am

scoffman wrote:
Unfortunately most retard auto parts places only recognize that lifetime warranty on the first part purchased. Hope the replacement doesn't fail too.

Autozone is good about honoring lifetime warranties....most likely because all their crap fails so often.... Suspect
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes   Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 1:03 pm

Okay, took the pump off.

You know the plate on the back that covers the innards of the WP?

All but ONE of those bolts were loose. I could have probably just used some loctite and put it back together, but I figure, with a lifetime warranty, I'm not taking that risk. Returned and got a new pump.

Waiting for the new black paint on it to dry, then it'll go back in, and hopefully I'll be set!
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes   Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 4:35 pm

loctite the little bolts now.....
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes   Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 4:39 pm

I would have tightened the bolts & put the wp back on. They are a crapshoot, and you had yourself one with known good bearings & seals.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes   Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 4:55 pm

Maybe... it spun alot easier and freer than the new pump though, which I took as a bad sign, so I let them keep it.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes   Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 5:48 pm

At least it was the pump and not the intake or timing cover causing the issue. You'll have it fixed in no time!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes   Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 5:57 pm

Intake's already been done. Not again... *shudder*
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes   Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 7:17 pm

yaaay solved before I even saw the thread, lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes   Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 7:21 pm

All back together. Runs great, new PS pump works, new alternator works, new water pump works.

Life is good over here.

Also, decided to paint the WP this time. Last time it rusted SO QUICKLY...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes   Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 8:13 pm

Rust? They are aluminum.
Oh... wait...
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes   Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 8:37 pm

jimbeau wrote:
Rust? They are aluminum.
Oh... wait...

go back to sleep jimbeau, it's not an lt1......Ray's not old enough yet for one
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes   Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 8:47 pm

Ray is wise beyond his years!He could handle a LT-1 just fine as long as the roads dry!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes   Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 9:07 pm

Wet roads = more fun!

Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes   Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 9:39 pm

Wet roads mean tow truck for you young man!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes   Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 9:47 pm

They haven't yet. Smile

Last time they meant parking lot donuts.

...and the time before that, they meant four-wheel drift in front of campus.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
Back to top Go down
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes   Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 1:14 pm

Sad to say, my WP died and left me stranded 400 mi from home last monday. This is the third WP in the 8 years i own the wagon. The first lasted 90.000mi, the second 29.000 and the third 32.000mi. Until now, i just replaced it with an "aftermarket" pump from Autozone / O' Reilly's.
I bought a new Edelbrock pump now. Hope it last a lot longer.
Pete.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes   Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 6:02 pm

Vic is always saying that"its made in america"so I hope this one last another 100,000 kilometers!
Back to top Go down
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes   Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 3:10 pm

Replaced the water pump, but the temperature is still way to high sitting at idle. Turned out that the fan clutch died. You could spin it by hand easely. Put a new one on (man, are they expensive) and a new belt tensioner in the process. Now the starter motor died.......
Is this my bad luck month?
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes   Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes Icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2013 1:32 am

I'm getting a small leak, from what looks like the weep holes, on my LO5 93 Fleetwood. Unfortunately, I have almost no tools at my Florida house, so tomorrow it is going to a local trusted shop. Here is my question- I've never put a water pump in either a LT-1 or LO5. Is the labor time going to be less for the LO5? I know they are the same basic engine, but that the LT--1 is more complicated.
Back to top Go down
Gastt

Gastt

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes   Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes Icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2013 11:13 am

The water pump is super easy on a TBI motor. Take the belt and fan off, 4 bolts on the pump and put it all back. Im sure you could buy a cheapo small ratchet set and do it yourself for alot less money. Then have some tools at your FL home. Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes   Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mysterious coolant leak... oh noes
Page 1 of 1