GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Shock Absorber Thingee

Go down 
+3
1phastsswagon
Fred Kiehl
Robert 96
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Robert 96

Shock Absorber Thingee Empty
PostSubject: Shock Absorber Thingee   Shock Absorber Thingee Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 8:57 am

What was the purpose of the shock absorber thing on the front steering linkage on RMW's. I tried to find it on RMW parts lists and at newgmparts.com and it was never on any list. It's as if they put them on but never intended for them to be replaced. Did they ever make replacements?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Shock Absorber Thingee   Shock Absorber Thingee Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 9:01 am

It makes the steering smoother by damping out all of the twitches. They are the same as the part for the FWs. I assume GM made replacements, but they are only required to keep spare parts for 7 years after the end of the production.

You could check with Mike at Hamilton Chevrolet on the ISSF.
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: Shock Absorber Thingee   Shock Absorber Thingee Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 10:54 am

The dampner is available. I got one for Brokecello here on the forum not to long ago, and he recently did the whole suspension on his wagon

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Steering-Damper/_/N-8oxi5?filterByKeyWord=14019&fromString=search&isSearchByPartNumber=true

Last edited by 1phastsswagon on Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/carissmacom/home
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: Shock Absorber Thingee   Shock Absorber Thingee Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 10:54 am

Monroe makes one. It's listed for the Fleetwood.
Personally, I prefer leaving it off. It was a band-aid solution for a problem that didn't exist. If you are rebuilding the front end you can then buy the centrelink that doesn't have the provision for the damper. It's considerably cheaper.
You don't need to change the centrelink IOT run the car without the damper (if it ain't broke...).
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Shock Absorber Thingee   Shock Absorber Thingee Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 12:16 pm

Got mine from Rock Auto when I rebuilt my front end. Had to look up a 1996 Caddy Fleetwood.

I left it off and ran over some rough train tracks, then bolted it on and went across again. There is a noticable difference with it in place.

Some folks don't like it, say it takes some feel out of the steering, and can overheat the ps pump in road-race situations.

BUT, in normal driving, and at least for my tastes, I really liked it. These are smooth cars and it adds to the smoothness as far as I'm concerned.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Robert 96

PostSubject: Re: Shock Absorber Thingee   Shock Absorber Thingee Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 12:58 pm

Thanks guys, I still find it odd that on the origional parts pages with the pictures the part is neither shown or listed.
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: Shock Absorber Thingee   Shock Absorber Thingee Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 1:37 pm

I put on a new Fleetwood damper a few months ago. I wasn't happy with how much steering resistance was added in comparison to the old worn-out steering damper. But I got lazy and left it on.
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Shock Absorber Thingee   Shock Absorber Thingee Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 5:28 pm

Nick Danger wrote:
... But I got lazy and left it on.
This is funny. I mean, it could go almost anywhere in our lives.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shock Absorber Thingee   Shock Absorber Thingee Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shock Absorber Thingee
Page 1 of 1