GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Throttle Body Spacer: Fact or Fiction

Go down 
+2
jimbeau
Cadet57
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Cadet57

Cadet57

Throttle Body Spacer: Fact or Fiction Empty
PostSubject: Throttle Body Spacer: Fact or Fiction   Throttle Body Spacer: Fact or Fiction Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 9:17 am

Flipping thru my latest Jegs catalog and they're having a "special" on Throttle body spacers. Those things supposedly designed to increase power and more importantly, fuel economy. I have a $15 credit with them and thought about giving one a shot. But are they really as good as they claim to be? Part of me (well, most of me) feels like its like any product that is supposed to increase fuel economy: Junk.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Body Spacer: Fact or Fiction   Throttle Body Spacer: Fact or Fiction Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 1:44 pm

In the old days, they had ONE slight benefit: reducing the amount of heat soak from the hot manifold into the carburetor.
Heat soak isn't an issue today., so... I'd say 'junk'.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Body Spacer: Fact or Fiction   Throttle Body Spacer: Fact or Fiction Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 10:36 am

What I have read about it, is that the additional length it adds to the intake run, gives the fuel a better chance to mix with the air, thus causing better detonation = more power

I have one brand new out in the garage, just haven't gotten around to slapping it on...
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Body Spacer: Fact or Fiction   Throttle Body Spacer: Fact or Fiction Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 4:15 pm

You read this from the company selling it... right?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Body Spacer: Fact or Fiction   Throttle Body Spacer: Fact or Fiction Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 5:48 pm

How many have you bought jimbeau?
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Body Spacer: Fact or Fiction   Throttle Body Spacer: Fact or Fiction Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 8:07 pm

lol... nun so far! My daddy dint raze no foo!
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Body Spacer: Fact or Fiction   Throttle Body Spacer: Fact or Fiction Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 8:48 pm

jimbeau wrote:

So being a member of the catholic church your father saw no reason to burn any asian people.

Nick
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Body Spacer: Fact or Fiction   Throttle Body Spacer: Fact or Fiction Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 8:53 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
jimbeau wrote:

So being a member of the catholic church your father saw no reason to burn any Asian people.

Nick

5 minutes later and I am STILL laughing. Thanks Nick......
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Body Spacer: Fact or Fiction   Throttle Body Spacer: Fact or Fiction Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 1:17 pm

The spacers are supposed to give you a longer intake run. This should raise the torque and HP curves slightly. It can aid in charging the cylinder at higher RPMs. In other words you will not get a lot more power, but what you do get, will be at a slightly higher RPM. If that helps gas mileage, you have to be the judge. The NASCAR guys found that the restrictor plates could be made to produce more HP than they originally thought, because it effectively gave them longer intake runners, and aided in charging the cylinders. (The decreased airflow cut HP considerably, but by carefully massaging the engine, they could get a few HP back.) Your low end torque will start at a slightly higher RPM as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Body Spacer: Fact or Fiction   Throttle Body Spacer: Fact or Fiction Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Throttle Body Spacer: Fact or Fiction
Page 1 of 1