GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Resurgence of Ruby

Go down 
+16
ollie17
silverfox103
95BRMW
just me
bamalongroof
Andebe
autoarcheologist
stewzer55
81X11
Krzdimond
Gastt
Cadet57
brokecello
eagle-co94
jimbeau
Sprocket
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2014 1:19 am

Looking forward to seeing her back on the road.

Is that a 67-68 Cougar peeking out of the garage?
Back to top Go down
http://www.jewelorjalopy.com
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2014 9:16 am

autoarcheologist wrote:
Looking forward to seeing her back on the road.

Is that a 67-68 Cougar peeking out of the garage?

1968, 95K one owner as my wife's Mom bought it new. Need to work out the details of the title as she has passed and her Dad can't locate the original title Sad. Unfortunately, it sat in a different garage for 16.5 years and the top of the fuel tank rusted away. I've had it for about two years, and haven't done much with it yet....
Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2014 1:50 pm

Still, what a great story, and a one family car. I'm sure with a little work it could be a runner again, I've saved much worse.

I almost inherited a 68 Mustang GT convertible in high school, but of course it didn't work out. But I was happy to have the '74 Valiant, at least I had transportation!
Back to top Go down
http://www.jewelorjalopy.com
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2014 4:58 pm

As soon as my t56 is in my 94 wagon, she'll be getting a new stainless tank and the carb tumbled Smile
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 9:56 am

As I pulled this thread up for reference on sound deadening for another thread, I'll throw out a quick update.

I swapped back in the 9C1 cluster as my boy had swapped it out to put in his new car (it sat on the workbench for two months and I claimed it), Replaced the front wheel bearings as they were getting pretty noisy, and some other general maint items.

Trying to figure out which color spray paint prior to WF as I will NOT have the t-56 done in time (haven't started and working on my bathroom still).

Leaning toward olive drab with the Flying Tigers shark mouth on the side or something WWII throwback kinda look for fun.

Also thinking trying to buy a single stage red and try spraying it myself...
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 10:09 am

My vote is for the WWII theme.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 7:01 pm

Buy single stage olive drab and spray.
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 9:20 pm

Check out the Earlex 3500 HVLP spray turbine you can get various size brass spray tips for it for automotive paints and lagrer tips for plastic dip. Jeff
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 10:02 pm

Battleship Gray with big white numbers....

I'm thinking: USS RUBY CC69
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2015 2:06 pm

I thought about making a turret for the roof with a plastic laundry bucket and some schedule 40, lol

Jeff when I bought my compressor it came with a classic spray gun (not HVLP), so I'd most likely use that Wink

this is a little too big of a mouth and well beyond my painting abilities...

The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 6332474357_dd09688292_z
Back to top Go down
just me

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2015 5:53 pm

Took a little bit to notice the turret on the rear side of the van, I was thinking of a tank turret on the top! One of those could be mounted to the roof rack and taken off when going for a drive over 5 mph!
Back to top Go down
stewzer55

stewzer55

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2015 6:40 pm

Naval Camouflage

The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 USN_camouflage_title
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2015 9:24 am

Well I wnt in a different direction and no pics until Friday so I can surprise everyone.

For Robert and everyone else that will critique the 30 foot paint job. Bite me. I'm pissed off about how it went down (literally, how the paint went down). The body prep was rough and I I only had 150 grit so there are lots of scratches showing. It was windy and 88 degrees so it was hot and breezy which caused the paint to not go on right...... I did a much better job on Grimace and in less time.

It took 4 days to get the old paint off the hood as it was so bad I had to strip it clean and it still looks like ass as I didn't have time to skim and smooth it. At one point I made a command decision to change the primary color and the paint I got was shooting out like textured stuff despite what the labels said. I gave up and went back to the first color, but now the A-pillar is sort of textured as I simply have run out of time to fix it all.......It's a mad scramble between now and Friday to put it all back together again. It is what it is at this point. I hope I have time to at least clean the rims....

That said it looks GREAT from 25 feet away, lol
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2015 10:07 am

Idea for new Flamingo award. Idea "Best paint from at least 25ft.away."
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2015 11:59 am

Don't want to be accused of inventing categories where I'm the sure winner, lol

Back to top Go down
stewzer55

stewzer55

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2015 1:36 pm

Can we at least see some pics?
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2015 2:59 pm

I would NEVER critique your work (to your face Wink )
It will be fine... no matter HOW bad it is.....
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 1:07 pm

stewzer55 wrote:
Can we at least see some pics?

Tomorrow night I'm sure some pictures will surface...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 2:17 pm

Superior Finish wrote:
I would NEVER critique your work (to your face Wink )
It will be fine... no matter HOW bad it is.....

The Great Chalkboard of 2011 proves that.

lol!
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2015 12:50 pm

Ive had the same frustrations on some paint projects.... lets see the photos. Jeff
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2015 8:38 pm

Okay here we go:

The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 IMAG1871_zpsctwqnaqz

The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 IMAG1872_zps5ptwmi4f

The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 IMAG1873_zpsjrp2hukp

The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 IMAG1877_zps8jtje5po

The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 IMAG1878_zpshjfg8emx
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2015 8:40 pm

The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 IMAG1881_zpsuqom1pn3

The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 IMAG1882_zpsplirwcfp

The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 IMAG1885_zpsyfwwo9ck

The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 IMAG1907_zpssb3w1ezc
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Looks sharp, it's amazing what paint will do for a car
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2015 10:02 pm

Its got that Celebrity Eurosport vibe to it. I dig it! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2015 11:29 pm

It started out as you can see in the first pic all red, but I really wanted to do a two tone and was thinking a white stripe or something. On my Home Depot run, I saw this satin brushed nickel and bought a can to test with. Once I sprayed a little on the back corner where the clear was gone, I thought It'd look better on top (like a Santa Fe locomotive). Also I didn't want to go below the cladding, as that paint was good, however, the rear bumper was burnt. The black popped into my head as Iwouldn't have to worry about the black section of the rear cover. Also I thought of the 80s Hurst Olds too.

I also was going to do the belt line both sliver and red, but that was way too much taping and waiting, so red was it. I did also think of red on the crossbars, but it wouldn't tie in with the rest of the red.

Only later did I realize I ripped off the A-team van color scheme as my daughter was watching Myth Buster A-team episode.

So I guess I need red rims, a push bar and a couple of fog lights lol
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2015 11:30 pm

Also the black sets off the stainless trim on the bottom
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2015 9:48 am

Pretty slick!! Just in time for your yearly Daytona track pic too Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2015 10:17 am

brokecello wrote:
Pretty slick!!  Just in time for your yearly Daytona track pic too Smile

Only reason I did it, lol.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2015 10:31 am

Sprocket wrote:
It started out as you can see in the first pic all red, but I really wanted to do a two tone and was thinking a white stripe or something.   On my Home Depot run, I saw this satin brushed nickel and bought a can to test with.  Once I sprayed a little on the back corner where the clear was gone, I thought It'd look better on top (like a Santa Fe locomotive).     Also I didn't want to go below the cladding, as that paint was good, however, the rear bumper was burnt.   The black popped into my head as Iwouldn't have to worry about the black section of the rear cover.   Also I thought of the 80s Hurst Olds too.

I also was going to do the belt line both sliver and red, but that was way too much taping and waiting,  so red was it.   I did also think of red on the crossbars, but it wouldn't tie in with the rest of the red.

Only later did I realize I ripped off the A-team van color scheme as my daughter was watching Myth Buster A-team episode.

So I guess I need red rims, a push bar and a couple of fog lights lol
Hurst Olds was my second thought...lol
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2015 11:09 am

Looks great in the pics!! Nice work!
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2015 7:10 pm

looks good sorry I missed seeing it in person. jeff
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 25, 2017 10:40 pm

Well perhaps the new owner Greg will carry on this thread. She just left, had this one longer than any of the others. Bought 12/31/2007 sold 8/25/2017....almost 10 years.

Greg is a local INC member and has been wanting a wagon, so anxious to see what he does with it.
Gave him a whole cargo bay of spare parts with it too that I really didn't need, made him a smoking deal on it too, as code enforcement was on me for having a car in the driveway that wasn't registered.

Mind you there are still 7 vehicles in the driveway....
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 25, 2017 11:44 pm

Sprocket wrote:

Gave him a whole cargo bay of spare parts.

= I got rid of a lot of crap
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 26, 2017 10:30 am

Crap,trash,treasure...All the same on this forum. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 05, 2018 11:20 pm

Car is being parted out Sad.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 06, 2018 10:08 am

Pausing again for another fallen wagon...Cue the taps... Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
ollie17

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2018 2:16 am

Still looks good. Nice work.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2018 6:25 pm

Update: The engine/trans was put into another caprice wagon that had better paint and was sold. One of my other INC buddies now has the shell and want's to do something with it after he sells his beast 94 SS with a 396 LT1 and a 250 shot Nitrous system...

Still hope for her
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2018 7:57 pm

To be continued...
Back to top Go down
RedandBlack

RedandBlack

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2018 10:38 pm

Does Matt still want way too much money for that Impala? lol

Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2018 12:55 pm

RedandBlack wrote:
Does Matt still want way too much money for that Impala? lol

I think he has it priced pretty fairly, but not everyone is looking for a race car
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2022 1:37 pm

Ruby has been rescued from a side yard by a Mia INC member who also bought the white wagon from me so they are now reunited! She has an LT1 sitting in her engine bay, but not installed. We will see what happens now as he also has Ray's LS swapped wagon... He's cornering the market!
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2022 11:02 am

She changed hands once again and is still in the community. A well known person in the community known for T-shirts has rescued her and plans to cut the roof off and make an El Camino out of it as it's got alot of rust in the D pillars.
Back to top Go down
1991BlueBertha

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2022 11:29 am

you brought this old thread up and gave me a chance to see it.... saddest part is seeing the 68 cougar being used as a shelf. I just got my 68 cougar all mechanically worked out and now im on the cosmetics. First time on the road since about 1993.

Sprocket likes this post

Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2022 8:24 pm

She arrived to her new owner this week and she is in very bad shape. Roof is rotted in multiple areas and the third row is a large lake. I bought the LT1 that was in it and the defrost free rear hatch. Will get the rest of the glass once we get the saws out, lol.

Shame that people get a hold of these cars just to let them rot away. Makes the ones that are left and taken care of that much nicer I suppose.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2023 7:59 pm

Man this old wagon gets around. Now it belongs to me and is sitting at work. Have a title that is still in that Matt fellas name. The car has rot issues so it will be scavenged and sent to the crusher.

What a difference a decade makes. 5 years of complete neglect and changing owners 5 times didn't help.

The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 VANXjsB

The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 4dpvsgE

The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 92zFpud

This photo shows just how good that dye used on the carpet is. Still looks great. That sound deadener stuff is still holding strong. Sucks because I'm cutting the floors out and that stuff is in the way, lol.

The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 DXJBLJL
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2023 5:02 pm

well, the book closed on this one....Billy said it was hauled off to the crusher this morning...sad wagon noises.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2023 8:18 pm

Don't be too sad. Quite a few pieces from her are going to live on as part of my wagon. I even pulled those front seats that are from Jade. Cleaned and installed them already. Some sheet metal parts, glass, chrome trim on bottoms of doors and wheel opening moldings.

Sprocket likes this post

Back to top Go down
GeoffB

GeoffB

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2023 8:43 pm

Sprocket wrote:
well, the book closed on this one....Billy said it was hauled off to the crusher this morning...sad wagon noises.

RIP Ruby

Sprocket likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Resurgence of Ruby    The Resurgence of Ruby  - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Resurgence of Ruby
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2