GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New springs and a class IV hitch

Go down 
+2
jimbeau
yakko
6 posters
AuthorMessage
yakko

yakko

New springs and a class IV hitch Empty
PostSubject: New springs and a class IV hitch   New springs and a class IV hitch Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 1:15 pm

A day after Wagonfest I installed my new cargo springs! Oh man what a change in atitude. No more scraping the ground!
The new springs have a couple more coils than stock. I think they are the Moog 6302s?? Great ride now. I pulled a trailer full of my son's crap down to Maryland for school at Johns Hopkins University. It did a nice job! I can't wait to see how it handles my 3500 pound Boat trailer. Now I have to start saving for the next Mod. I wonder what kind of rear end I should build? Rolling Eyes

Randy
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: New springs and a class IV hitch   New springs and a class IV hitch Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 2:51 pm

Don't expect miracles. These things are not the greatest vehicles for towing, because of the loooooong rear overhang.
With a large trailer, an anti-sway, load-equalizing hitch setup will negate most of the issues, but remember, these ain't no trucks.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: New springs and a class IV hitch   New springs and a class IV hitch Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Agreed. Great for towing if properly set up. Other than horsepower our old GMC Safari was a better puller. I had an Air Lift system on that as well.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: New springs and a class IV hitch   New springs and a class IV hitch Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 5:21 pm

The old Astro/Safaris, the SHORT ones, were great! The hitch was only a foot or so behind the axle centerline.
The longer ones, still real good, but not as great.
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: overhang   New springs and a class IV hitch Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 8:16 pm

jimbeau wrote:
Don't expect miracles. These things are not the greatest vehicles for towing, because of the loooooong rear overhang.
With a large trailer, an anti-sway, load-equalizing hitch setup will negate most of the issues, but remember, these ain't no trucks.

LOOOOOOONG overhang. With a load distribution set up the Caddy was a great tow vehicle.
New springs and a class IV hitch LakeTahoetripJUN2009034
New springs and a class IV hitch 004
The OCC sits about 1.5" lower in the rearthen the Cadillac before any load.
In June we pulled the Airstream about 250 miles. Towed great. Since then we installed an auxillery transmission cooler.

Next mod is a set of Bilsien HDs, then tint the windows, then Airlift 1000 with compressor.

COL

Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: New springs and a class IV hitch   New springs and a class IV hitch Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 8:24 pm

There are a lot of FACTORY auxiliary trans cooler units floating around. They are more sturdy than any of the aftermarket units, I would guess.
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: New springs and a class IV hitch   New springs and a class IV hitch Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 11:35 pm

no doubt.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: New springs and a class IV hitch   New springs and a class IV hitch Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 2:03 am

Is that what you used?... or did you get an aftermarket unit?

Idle thought:: I don't know what is more amazing.
The fact that you managed as well as you did with a '58 Caddy as a tow vehicle...
or how you managed it with those two horse-sized dogs... lol
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: New springs and a class IV hitch   New springs and a class IV hitch Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 9:49 am

Jim,
I used an after market. Did not know any better.
Dick
Back to top Go down
yakko

yakko

PostSubject: Re: New springs and a class IV hitch   New springs and a class IV hitch Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 1:37 pm

I have surge brakes on the trailer. I can't use a equalizing hitch. My sedan has no problem towing the boat. I understand the long over hang on our wagons. Maybe this is the reason for the larger bearing diameter for the axles.

Randy Smile
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: New springs and a class IV hitch   New springs and a class IV hitch Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 1:52 pm

My Roady always towed my little lake boat with no issues, but when I first started towing with it I'd removed the air shocks but had not yet installed the Moog springs. The poor car squatted like a dog taking a pit stop. Smile

New springs and a class IV hitch Boat5
New springs and a class IV hitch Boat1

I installed Moog Variable-Rate springs from Rock Auto and after that it towed fine with no squat. I plan to do the same mod on my new OCC as money allows!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
yakko

yakko

PostSubject: Re: New springs and a class IV hitch   New springs and a class IV hitch Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 4:23 pm

I find they work great. No more sag with a load.

Randy
Back to top Go down
HERD_546

HERD_546

PostSubject: Re: New springs and a class IV hitch   New springs and a class IV hitch Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 6:41 pm

I have the Air Lift Bags in my 95 Caprice. They work well when I tow my Cargo Trailer or Load up the Back with stuff for a Hamfest. Oh Yes Hamfest is a flea Market of Ham Radio equipment and computer stuff. I have had my wagon stacked to the roof from the back of Front seats to the rear hatch..

BTW I put the air fill for the Air Lift Bags in the gas tank door for easy filling..
Back to top Go down
http://www.theherd.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New springs and a class IV hitch   New springs and a class IV hitch Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New springs and a class IV hitch
Page 1 of 1