GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Roadmaster wagon VS Caprice Wagon hitch?

Go down 
+4
lakeffect
Fred Kiehl
DROLDS2U
buickwagon
8 posters
AuthorMessage

Roadmaster wagon VS Caprice Wagon hitch? Empty
PostSubject: Roadmaster wagon VS Caprice Wagon hitch?   Roadmaster wagon VS Caprice Wagon hitch? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 6:39 pm

Hello everyone. I am a new member here but i have been looking through these forums for a long time. I live in Indiana and i have a question about the caprice hitches. I know these class 3 and up hitches are endagered species and i was wondering... I have a 1992 caprice wagon with tow package. I have no hitch. I seen a 1994 buick roadmaster with the 2" hitch and the gentlman told me he would sell it to me for $100. I was wondering if they are interchangable or not. i do not know if his is a factory ( I imagine) or a afermarket. Anything (answers) would be great. Thank you all wagon lovers.
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Roadmaster wagon VS Caprice Wagon hitch?   Roadmaster wagon VS Caprice Wagon hitch? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 7:12 pm

It won't be factory -- even the "tow pack" (towing package) cars came hitchless.

There are some differences between the rear undersides of the wagon and the sedan. Depending on the exact design of the aftermarket hitch in question, it might be possible to install with some modification but it may not be a direct bolt-on. The 91-93 wagons, with a single exhaust pipe, will be less of a challenge than the later models with dual exhaust but in both cases, the wagon exhaust points out the side instead of out the rear.

I documented the construction of my wagon hitch on the Roadmaster forum Included in the last post was a dimensioned drawing -- the measurements might be of use to you for comparison with the sedan hitch you are looking at.
Back to top Go down
DROLDS2U

DROLDS2U

PostSubject: Re: Roadmaster wagon VS Caprice Wagon hitch?   Roadmaster wagon VS Caprice Wagon hitch? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 7:47 pm

yo D, i think buickwagon didnt read that both are wagons, since they are it should be the exact same hitch
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Roadmaster wagon VS Caprice Wagon hitch?   Roadmaster wagon VS Caprice Wagon hitch? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 8:07 pm

You are correct. I didn't read that they are both wagons. He just says the donor car is a "1994 buick roadmaster". Most people seem to mean the sedan unless they specify wagon and I assumed (quite possibly in error!) that was the case here -- the "longroof" forum where wagons rule.

If they are both wagons, then there is no problem whatsoever. Even a 1981 wagon hitch will fit a 93 wagon.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Roadmaster wagon VS Caprice Wagon hitch?   Roadmaster wagon VS Caprice Wagon hitch? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 8:22 am

buickwagon wrote:
You are correct. I didn't read that they are both wagons. He just says the donor car is a "1994 buick roadmaster". Most people seem to mean the sedan unless they specify wagon and I assumed (quite possibly in error!) that was the case here -- the "longroof" forum where wagons rule.

If they are both wagons, then there is no problem whatsoever. Even a 1981 wagon hitch will fit a 93 wagon.

I never thought about the range of years that would fit the 91-96 wagons. That opens a lot of possibilities for finding class III hitches.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Roadmaster wagon VS Caprice Wagon hitch?   Roadmaster wagon VS Caprice Wagon hitch? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 8:35 am

I've seen on more than one occasion that the chassis from the earlier boxes is the same as used on our 1991-1996 wagons. I don't have a hitch, don't want a hitch, but I wonder if that would also open up some possibilites for hitches as well for you guys that do.
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Roadmaster wagon VS Caprice Wagon hitch?   Roadmaster wagon VS Caprice Wagon hitch? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 9:13 am

I can confirm that the Algonquin Hidden Hitch Cl. IV receiver that I originally bought for and installed on my 1981 Buick Electra Estate Wagon was a direct bolt-on when I swapped into my then-new 1992 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon. All the frame holes required were exactly the same.

(Not that it matters here, but the third-row seats were also a direct swap. The dealer had ordered the 92 without the 3rd row for some inexplicable reason. It sat unsold for a considerable time before I happened along with my tape measure. By then he was a bit more flexible on the price... cheers )
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roadmaster wagon VS Caprice Wagon hitch?   Roadmaster wagon VS Caprice Wagon hitch? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 2:54 pm

Thank you all for the info. This week I will contact the donor and try to remove it. I contacted a fabricator in town and they wanted $500 to fabricate one. I think I will just stick with the $100 roadmaster wagon hitch. Wink
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Roadmaster wagon VS Caprice Wagon hitch?   Roadmaster wagon VS Caprice Wagon hitch? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 4:28 pm

d-stan1987 wrote:
I contacted a fabricator in town and they wanted $500 to fabricate one.

Wow. $500? Sounds like he quoted you the nickle-plated stainless steel version! Was that with the dimensioned drawing or from scratch? Most of the work was figuring out the dimensions, the actual cutting, layout and welding was pretty straightforward, maybe 3 or 4 hours tops. I think materials were around $120 (with gr. 8 bolts) and should be cheaper south of the border.

As far as using a used hitch, nothing wrong with that plan (as long as there is only surface rust evident and no sign of stress cracks of course). I'd consider new mounting bolts, grade 5 at least.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roadmaster wagon VS Caprice Wagon hitch?   Roadmaster wagon VS Caprice Wagon hitch? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 4:59 pm

The price was from scrap. I was just driving by and stopped there to ask. I figured after I removed the hitch from the roadmaster I could check it more for stress marks and the such. I planned on using new bolts. Them things are probably 20 yrs old. But thanks for the info and as soon as i get it sometime this week i will inform everyone how it went.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roadmaster wagon VS Caprice Wagon hitch?   Roadmaster wagon VS Caprice Wagon hitch? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 3:07 pm

Sorry I haven't got back sooner but I have been really busy. I removed the tow hitch and it was in excelent condition but some surface rust. I took a powerfull grinder with a wire wheel and brushed everything off and I have painted a couple coats of rustoleum primer on it . I have some gloss black to coat it with when I get time but man it looks good. The guy I got this from was so happy to let me buy it for $100. I told him it was like rusty gold. I haven't mounted it yet but I looked and the bolt holes match up with my car so thank you all fo the info. It did pay off. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roadmaster wagon VS Caprice Wagon hitch?   Roadmaster wagon VS Caprice Wagon hitch? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 3:35 pm

Thanks buickwagon for that tasty little bit of info about earlier year wagon hitches.I know where
a very nice class 3 is on a 87 RMW.Damn I wish I had thought of that.Yes I know I am a idiot
but figured I would beat you guys to it!
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Roadmaster wagon VS Caprice Wagon hitch?   Roadmaster wagon VS Caprice Wagon hitch? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 6:02 pm

JIm, it's the same hitch they use on the short buses.
Back to top Go down
94 Roadmaster Wagon

94 Roadmaster Wagon

PostSubject: Re: Roadmaster wagon VS Caprice Wagon hitch?   Roadmaster wagon VS Caprice Wagon hitch? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 1:14 am

buickwagon wrote:
I can confirm that the Algonquin Hidden Hitch Cl. IV receiver that I originally bought for and installed on my 1981 Buick Electra Estate Wagon was a direct bolt-on when I swapped into my then-new 1992 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon. All the frame holes required were exactly the same.

(Not that it matters here, but the third-row seats were also a direct swap. The dealer had ordered the 92 without the 3rd row for some inexplicable reason. It sat unsold for a considerable time before I happened along with my tape measure. By then he was a bit more flexible on the price... cheers )

So, if you're saying one from '81 will fit a '92, then it will also fit a '94? If that's the case, then I can expand my search for a better class III hitch! I just don't like the one I bought, and I don't like the fact that it's bolt together, and I don't like the big gaping hole on the one side, so the exhaust can fit through it! I'd rather move the exhaust (I plan on getting a whole new system, anyway), and put a better hitch on!

Thanks,
John
[b]
Back to top Go down
http://www.lubedealer.com/nielsen
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Roadmaster wagon VS Caprice Wagon hitch?   Roadmaster wagon VS Caprice Wagon hitch? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 6:33 am

yup.
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Roadmaster wagon VS Caprice Wagon hitch?   Roadmaster wagon VS Caprice Wagon hitch? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 7:34 pm

I welded a sedan hitch right to the frame. done!
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Roadmaster wagon VS Caprice Wagon hitch?   Roadmaster wagon VS Caprice Wagon hitch? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 8:50 pm

94 Roadmaster Wagon wrote:
buickwagon wrote:

So, if you're saying one from '81 will fit a '92, then it will also fit a '94? If that's the case, then I can expand my search for a better class III hitch! I just don't like the one I bought, and I don't like the fact that it's bolt together, and I don't like the big gaping hole on the one side, so the exhaust can fit through it! I'd rather move the exhaust (I plan on getting a whole new system, anyway), and put a better hitch on!

Thanks,
John
[b]

you should only need to drill 2 holes for the extra exhaust hanger. Ones made after 94 had the extra holes already.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Roadmaster wagon VS Caprice Wagon hitch?   Roadmaster wagon VS Caprice Wagon hitch? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 10:23 am

77-96 wagons all use the same hitch. Very Happy

I still need to get my off the old RMW and install it on my OCC.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Roadmaster wagon VS Caprice Wagon hitch?   Roadmaster wagon VS Caprice Wagon hitch? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Roadmaster wagon VS Caprice Wagon hitch?
Page 1 of 1