GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

1992 Caprice wagon Ignition key wont turn.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
MacMasterMike

1992 Caprice wagon Ignition key wont turn. Empty
PostSubject: 1992 Caprice wagon Ignition key wont turn.   1992 Caprice wagon Ignition key wont turn. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 9:55 pm

In a bit of a jam with my caprice wagon. It all began where I was in a situation where the only key i had was my worn out set. This key still worked but if you didn't have the "feel" for it you could not get the key to turn. Eventually began to just use my good set until i misplaced it. In using the worn out key it eventually got to the point where i could not turn the key to start the vehicle. Not having my good set i got stranded. In an act of desperation i may have goosed the situation some and can now despite having the good key and getting another key from the dealer cannot get the ignition to turn. When I open the car door I get the chyme like a key is in the ignition,despite there not being one, and the key goes in and out clean but I cant get it to turn. The steering wheel is locked. In doing some research on the board here there doesn't seem to be an easy fix when steering column parts need to get replaced. Ill probably just have to have the car towed but would appreciate some pointers.
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: 1992 Caprice wagon Ignition key wont turn.   1992 Caprice wagon Ignition key wont turn. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 9:02 am

The lock cylinder is probably just shot. Happened a couple years ago to my Grand National. Replacing the cylinder isn't that hard either.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: 1992 Caprice wagon Ignition key wont turn.   1992 Caprice wagon Ignition key wont turn. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 9:26 am

Seems to be a rash of these issues on here lately....
Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

PostSubject: Re: 1992 Caprice wagon Ignition key wont turn.   1992 Caprice wagon Ignition key wont turn. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 12:00 pm

I don't have my book but didn't GM have a pin that you could push out to remove the lock cylinder? Are these beauties not that easy to remove anymore?
Back to top Go down
MacMasterMike

PostSubject: Re: 1992 Caprice wagon Ignition key wont turn.   1992 Caprice wagon Ignition key wont turn. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2012 11:09 pm

Was just the lock cylinder was probably an hour job from start to finish once the right tools were lined up. Had her stuck at my shop and am in the middle of a big renovation and couldn't spend the time on it to get her going again. Unfortunately shes just going up to the bone yard(rotted frame) up at my house. Didn't want to bother to get her towed though i probably spent just as much money on tools but Ive gained valuable knowledge.

Thanks again all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1992 Caprice wagon Ignition key wont turn.   1992 Caprice wagon Ignition key wont turn. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1992 Caprice wagon Ignition key wont turn.
Page 1 of 1