GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Thinking of upgrading the gears

Go down 
+5
lakeffect
1phastsswagon
HERD_546
BigBlackBeaSSt
nstg8r
9 posters
AuthorMessage
nstg8r

Thinking of upgrading the gears Empty
PostSubject: Thinking of upgrading the gears   Thinking of upgrading the gears Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 11:53 am

I have I think 2.72's or 2.73's (don't remember) in the 96 (limited slip) and I'd like to go with 3.42's. I asked my facebook friends (mostly f-body guys) if anyone had some and I was asked what series. How do I find out this answer?
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of upgrading the gears   Thinking of upgrading the gears Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 2:01 pm

I believe it is 2.93:1 or 3.23:1 in the tow pack car. Non tow pack are 2.56:1.

I took mine to 3.08:1 and now to 3.73:1. I would suggest the latter.
Back to top Go down
nstg8r

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of upgrading the gears   Thinking of upgrading the gears Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 3:18 pm

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:

Why not 3.42's? I still want to retain a little bit of my gas milage, I just want a little more low end grunt, I'm probably also going to be doing a 3000-3200 stall.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of upgrading the gears   Thinking of upgrading the gears Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 5:37 pm

nstg8r wrote:
BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:

Why not 3.42's? I still want to retain a little bit of my gas milage, I just want a little more low end grunt, I'm probably also going to be doing a 3000-3200 stall.

In my experience 3.42 and 3.73 will not change the fuel mileage much at all. My 3.08's to 3.73 swap did not show much change if any. The 3000-3200 would be counter intuitive for fuel mileage. I would guess around town that would hurt you much more than 4.10 gears. If you retain lock up it should not effect things on the expressway.
Back to top Go down
HERD_546

HERD_546

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of upgrading the gears   Thinking of upgrading the gears Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 7:19 pm

I am looking at doing a gear swap in my 95 Caprice SS Wagon. I am planning on going to the 3:42 gears over the 3:73. Currently my wagon has a 2:56 open end gear.. I am going to a Detroit TruTrac LSD.. You will need to find a aftermarket re-lector to keep the ABS working..

You can get all the parts from Randy's Ring and Pinion..
Back to top Go down
http://www.theherd.com

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of upgrading the gears   Thinking of upgrading the gears Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 11:29 pm

I found a 3.73 R&P set brand new along with a brand new reluctor gear for 175,just have to go pick them up.
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of upgrading the gears   Thinking of upgrading the gears Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 11:35 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
I found a 3.73 R&P set brand new along with a brand new reluctor gear for 175,just have to go pick them up.

Did you just find them on C/L in VA beach?
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/carissmacom/home

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of upgrading the gears   Thinking of upgrading the gears Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 11:37 pm

Dont you do it Robert,those are mine!He has had them long enough!
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of upgrading the gears   Thinking of upgrading the gears Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 11:39 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Dont you do it Robert,those are mine!He has had them long enough!

Bwahaha - J/K I wouldnt do that to a fellow Longroofer, you might as well kit the install kit while your at it, thats pretty cheap for what hes asking for it
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/carissmacom/home

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of upgrading the gears   Thinking of upgrading the gears Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 11:47 pm

Wih the exception of the reluctor ring,he wants retail for everything.I could buy the R&P for
a lot less if I changed brands.If I eliminate the reluctor ring I could save a lot more money.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of upgrading the gears   Thinking of upgrading the gears Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 7:38 am

I switched from 3.08:1 (stock in 1993) to 3.42:1 last year. I have enough horsepower (about 450) to spin the wheels and launch without the need to use a set of 3.73:1

Only my opinion for my car, and may not translate well to other vehicles.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of upgrading the gears   Thinking of upgrading the gears Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 3:18 pm

lakeffect wrote:
I switched from 3.08:1 (stock in 1993) to 3.42:1 last year. I have enough horsepower (about 450) to spin the wheels and launch without the need to use a set of 3.73:1

Have you had your wagon on a dyno or is this just a guess?
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of upgrading the gears   Thinking of upgrading the gears Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 11:55 pm

nstg8r wrote:
I was asked what series. How do I find out this answer?
If you have a 96, you don't have 2.72 or 2.73 gears. You either have 2.56 or 2.93. 2.56 has a series 2 carrier. 2.93 has a series 3. The people were asking because if you have a series 2 and want to slap on gears meant for a series 3 (i.e. numerically higher gears) you will need a ring gear spacer. Not really relevant if you are changing the posi at the same time.

BigBlackBeast wrote:

In my experience 3.42 and 3.73 will not change
the fuel mileage much at all. My 3.08's to 3.73 swap did not show much
change if any. The 3000-3200 would be counter intuitive for fuel
mileage. I would guess around town that would hurt you much more than
4.10 gears. If you retain lock up it should not effect things on the
expressway.

I've used 3.42 and 3.73s. In my experience 3.42s do yield better highway and overall gas mileage. About 1-2 mpg. IMO, the minimal difference in 1/4 mile time doesn't justify the mpg loss for a DD. Plus you don't run the risk of encountering driveshaft vibration. For a real daily driver that regularly gets taken on the highway, 3.42s get my vote. If you don't do much highway driving, then 3.73s are a good option.

Do yourself a huge favour and be realistic with your intended usage. Unless you are going to see the track several times a year, a 3200 stall RPM converter probably isn't required. 2800 would probably better suited and more real-world street friendly. Don't cheap out on the converter: the converter, not the gears, is what will make or break your combo. A 9.5" Yank, Vigilante or Edge would all be very good options, with Yank being my personal favourite. You will not enjoy driving a car with a cheap converter.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of upgrading the gears   Thinking of upgrading the gears Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 12:18 am

Jason,I have a bone stock 305 in my 91 OCC and am buying a set of 3,73 gears to install.Car is
never raced and is only driven rarely on the interstate for short periods.Figured the 3.73s would
help the intown performance as well as the mileage.Now that you have brought up TCs,I am
having second thoughts.Your opinions here will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of upgrading the gears   Thinking of upgrading the gears Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 12:29 am

Should be a fun car Jim. A car with higher (numerically) gears and a stock TC is still fun to drive. It won't feel "mushy". I should have specified a "cheap high-stall converter" will make the car unpleasant around town.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of upgrading the gears   Thinking of upgrading the gears Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 11:50 am

Thanks Jason a bunch!
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of upgrading the gears   Thinking of upgrading the gears Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 8:05 pm

I went from 2.93 to 3.42's with Jade. I have had 3.73s before...but really found 3.42 to be just right for what I need.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
gmtech

gmtech

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of upgrading the gears   Thinking of upgrading the gears Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 9:15 am

Give this calculator a try, input your specs to find the variance in the RPM from the different gear ratios. Have fun!
Back to top Go down
94 Roadmaster Wagon

94 Roadmaster Wagon

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of upgrading the gears   Thinking of upgrading the gears Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 5:41 pm

lakeffect wrote:

Do you still have the 3.08? Want to get rid of it? I have a 2.56 open, and want a 3.08 with posi (or limited slip). Tired of it 'hunting' (either TC locks up, or unlocks) going up even the slightest hills. Plus, I want to do some mild towing with it, so the 3.08 will be good for me. I still want to retain some gas mileage.

John
[b]
Back to top Go down
http://www.lubedealer.com/nielsen
94 Roadmaster Wagon

94 Roadmaster Wagon

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of upgrading the gears   Thinking of upgrading the gears Icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2012 1:17 am

gmtech wrote:
Give this calculator a try, input your specs to find the variance in the RPM from the different gear ratios. Have fun!

That's a good link, but I have an easier way of determining the right gear ratio. If you know what your car already does, with it's current ratio, then it's just simple math. I have 2.56 gears, and at 70, I run 1500 rpm. So, to determine what rpm you would go with different gears, then take your 1500 rpm's, and multiply it by the gear ratio you want. In my case, I want the 3.08 gear, so 1500 x 3.08 = 4620. Now, take the 4620, and divide it by your current gear, 2.56. That equals 1804 rpm! So, by going up to a 3.08 gear, you would only be going up 300 rpm at 70 mph. I would like to keep the rpm's as low as possible, going down the road, for maximum mpg's. Even if you went with a 3.42 gear, your rpm's would only be 2003. But for me, I believe just going with the 3.08 gear would do me the best, in terms of towing, and gas mileage.

John
[b]
Back to top Go down
http://www.lubedealer.com/nielsen
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of upgrading the gears   Thinking of upgrading the gears Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thinking of upgrading the gears
Page 1 of 1