GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Finally! It's really quiet!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
uxwbill

uxwbill

Finally! It's really quiet! Empty
PostSubject: Finally! It's really quiet!   Finally! It's really quiet! Icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 7:29 pm

When I got my '93 Caprice wagon, it had a pretty massive exhaust leak that soon became even more massive...to the point where it was tripping the service engine soon light, keeping the oxygen sensors from working properly (it was running very rich) and then it got even louder. At that point I could actually perceive exhaust getting into the car through the ventilation system. I knew that the top of the muffler had rotted out.

Now it sounded somewhere between amusing and "badass", but I have strong reason to believe that my neighbors (the ones who aren't into cars) might not like this. And I knew it wasn't good for the car or probably its catalytic converter. So about a month ago, I went shopping and picked up a Walker stainless steel muffler from RockAuto. About two weeks ago I had it put on ... and there was little improvement. From the time I bought the car, I suspected that the manifold to Y-pipe flanges were missing the gaskets and not making contact any longer. This confirmed it.

I finally got that fixed today. Oh my, what a difference. Not only is the car a lot happier (the SES light blinked on once, perhaps because the computer was running from bad learned data?) but it's darn near totally silent...so much so that I wondered if it might have stalled at an intersection!

It should be interesting to see what this has done to the fuel economy. I was getting around 19-22 (almost 23!) with the leaky exhaust. More to come when I have numbers...
Back to top Go down
http://greyghost.mooo.com/
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Finally! It's really quiet!   Finally! It's really quiet! Icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 6:01 pm

I just replaced a number of exhaust manifold bolts whose heads had popped off... driver's side #5, and passenger side #5 AND #6. No more tickety exhaust noise and now the PCM will actually get accurate data.

Next up is to clean out the throttle body, idle air passages, MAF (using CRC MAF cleaner spray), and clean out the PCV piping and a new PCV valve and the car should run like a top.

If you haven't done all these to your LT1 lately, you might want to.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Finally! It's really quiet!   Finally! It's really quiet! Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 9:34 am

Good deal Bill, glad to hear you got that done and hope it helps your MPG.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
uxwbill

uxwbill

PostSubject: Re: Finally! It's really quiet!   Finally! It's really quiet! Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 5:11 pm

81X11 wrote:
Good deal Bill, glad to hear you got that done and hope it helps your MPG.
After a goodly amount of fun this weekend, traveling various roads in Illinois...I'd say it has. I went from getting about 22.6 MPG to 26.79 MPG!

I am quite honestly stunned by this. I was driving 70-75 MPH most all of the time, and felt the need to "race" someone off the line from a stop light more than once!

If I kept my hoof out of it, I think it'd do even better still!

Obnoxious opinion: So, tell me again why if I were to buy a modern car I couldn't buy a nice big comfortable automobile? (Yes, I know about city mileage, but that's pretty bad in any car. The 26.79 MPG figure does include about twenty miles of city driving!)
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Finally! It's really quiet!   Finally! It's really quiet! Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 5:21 pm

I'm very jealous of your mpg. That's awesome!
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Finally! It's really quiet!   Finally! It's really quiet! Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 8:58 pm

Would that be a three-fitty or weency L03 in your pirate ship matey?
Back to top Go down
uxwbill

uxwbill

PostSubject: Re: Finally! It's really quiet!   Finally! It's really quiet! Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 9:05 pm

Sprocket wrote:
Would that be a three-fitty or weency L03 in your pirate ship matey?
L05 "three fitty"... Laughing

Finally! It's really quiet! Engine

...which is good, because it is the engine I'd much rather have!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Finally! It's really quiet!   Finally! It's really quiet! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Finally! It's really quiet!
Page 1 of 1