HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

BFG Scorchers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: BFG Scorchers   Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:24 am

I have the chance to get a like new set of BFG Scorchers in size 255/50/17 same as the SS.These tires have been stored in a dirt floor shed and are filthy but he swears they have no cracks .I am getting them cheap, so have any of you guys had any expierience with
these tires?I know that they are suppose to leave yellow tread marks on the pavement but dont plan on trying that out.Is 125 for all
4 a decent price?Cant tell their age because of the dirt and the seller has no idea what I am talking about when I ask about the date
code so wont know until I get there.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: BFG Scorchers   Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:58 am

Last time I bought tires like that, they were so dry-rotted that they literally cracked and began leaking when the tire man tried to put them on the rims. You should go into this expecting them to be junk unless you can personally prove otherwise.

Pull them out into the light, wash them with a hose, find the date codes, stand on them and flex them, etc.
Back to top Go down
81X11

PostSubject: Re: BFG Scorchers   Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:21 am

For sure check the date codes, but it could be a deal!
Back to top Go down
COL

PostSubject: Re: BFG Scorchers   Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:17 am

Good deals on used tires can turn deadly. Do you drive over 25 miles an hour? Do you drive when other cars are on the road? Do you drive with others in the car?

Tires deteriorate over time, even if they are not used or driven on. They may appear in like new condition on the out side, but inside the rubber is slowly deteriorating. This may dangerously weaken the tire and increase the risk of a blowout at high speed or hot weather.

If the DOT code says the tire is close to six years old, Pass on the good deal.
COL
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BFG Scorchers   Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:54 am

Thanks for all the help guys but with the cost of new tires being out of my reach,used tires are
perfectly safe if you know what to look for.Use to wrench at a Goodyear store and they had a
pretty rigorous inspection precedure for used tires.Have a very bright LED flashlight that is used
for blinding drunks by cops so it is very good for internal inspections.Just got a set of michelins
for my brothers dually for less than half of what a new set would cost.These tires are all showing
75 to 90 percent of new tread dept so they should be good for another 40 to 50 thousand miles.
Craigslist can save you a fortune on tires if you know what to look for and never go unarmed.
Back to top Go down
COL

PostSubject: Re: BFG Scorchers   Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:14 pm

Jim,
You know what you are doing. I was wondering why you asked for opinions from the group?
Buy the tires if they meet your need and budget. Sounds like a deal!
col
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BFG Scorchers   Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:26 pm

Was just wondering if anyone had personal expierience with that particular tire,good or bad!
Nobody knows so much that they still cant learn a little more.Nick and I have had our differences
but I am always learning new things from him about all things mechanical!
Back to top Go down
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: BFG Scorchers   Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:43 pm

Sounds like a good deal if they aren't that old, that size is getting hard to come by. A co-worker had them on his Ford Focus for a while, but he liked the blue smoke so much they didn't last a summer! He did say that seemed a little "loose" when cold, and they like the heat. Other wise, I guess they were fine. These may not be old man tires Jim, but if you do get them,we want to see yellow burn outs. FWIW, BFG no longer makes these tires.

Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BFG Scorchers   Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:07 pm

Wont see this old man boiling the hides,I did that in my youth and just dont abuse my vehicles
that way.Even with line loc its still hard on the drivetrain.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BFG Scorchers   Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:50 pm

They wouldn't last me a summer... every car show - colored smoke.

They have tires now that have scents when they smoke. It's crazy.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: BFG Scorchers   Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:31 am

Date code for sure.... I had a blow out on my n97 rim that was a spare. On the rear I hardly noticed it other than the loud bang and sound of tread destroying the quarter panel. Ironically I had of 20s in the back of the car but posi prevented their use....
Back to top Go down
3TONFUN

PostSubject: Re: BFG Scorchers   Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:43 am

Crap on anything but dry pavement. But the burnouts are cool.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: BFG Scorchers   Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:58 pm

I had a set on my wifes GMC Safari on Impala SS wheels. OK tire, did not wear very well and not great in the wet. They were cheap at $99 each if my memory serves me correct. Not much for curb protection and my wife made sure to capitalize on this!!! Shocked

They DO NOT leave anything yellow, red or what ever colors they came in, behind or smoke those colors. they just had a color stripe on the tire.
Back to top Go down
Gastt

PostSubject: Re: BFG Scorchers   Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:04 pm

Be safe and don't buy old tires. I see 12 year old "new" tires shred apart all the time. Those things have been out of production for quite a few years.

(Tire Salesman)
Back to top Go down
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: BFG Scorchers   Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:47 pm

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
They DO NOT leave anything yellow, red or what ever colors they came in, behind or smoke those colors. they just had a color stripe on the tire.

How do you know this? Burnouts in and AWD Safari van.... HA!

That blue Focus, with the blue striped tires made blue burnouts.

Mike
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: BFG Scorchers   Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:50 pm

Fords are special........ and the GMC was RWD.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BFG Scorchers   Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:18 pm

Gastt wrote:
Be safe and don't buy old tires. I see 12 year old "new" tires shred apart all the time. Those things have been out of production for quite a few years.

(Tire Salesman)
Now thats what I was trying to find out,gonna pass on those OLD tires but I still see nothing wrong with fairly recent take offs!
Thanks Tire Salesman,didnt realize its been that long since production ceased!
Back to top Go down
COL

PostSubject: Re: BFG Scorchers   Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:29 pm

Gastt wrote:

(Tire Salesman)

That is what I said.
COL
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: BFG Scorchers   Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:10 pm

I won't run a tire with a date code more than 6 years old. Had a tire shred on me @ 70 on the turnpike. dented up the rear quarter even worse than it was.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BFG Scorchers   Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:44 pm

Yea I decided to pass on these tires and find something taller and much newer take-offs!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BFG Scorchers   

Back to top Go down

BFG Scorchers
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GM Longroof Forum :: Longroof Tech :: Wagon General Discussion-
Jump to: