GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ruby vibration

Go down 
+6
Fred Kiehl
gmtech
jayoldschool
Big Wagon Guy
cammerjeff
Sprocket
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Sprocket

Sprocket

Ruby vibration Empty
PostSubject: Ruby vibration   Ruby vibration Icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 9:57 pm

So I guess the vibration has returned. It is reported to only occur under acceleration during left turns on the front passenger side.
Wheel bearing mebbie....

thoughts? I will be 'exercising' her tomorrow to try to duplicate it.

Back to top Go down
cammerjeff

cammerjeff

Ruby vibration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ruby vibration   Ruby vibration Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 6:50 am

My guess would be a wheel bearing, they can be tricky, I have seen it be the oposite side of where you think it is coming from. I would jack up the entire front end and compare slop and rolling resistance. If you can have some one ride with you with the windows down when you try and duplicate the problem.

Can you feel it in the steering wheel? or just the floor?
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Ruby vibration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ruby vibration   Ruby vibration Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 7:27 am

I haven't felt it, it's on my son's wagon. two weeks ago it got so bad I drove 400 miles RT to go help him and when I got there everything was fine and I drove his car the second half of the distance back with no issues. He reported back that it started again last night.

Back to top Go down
Big Wagon Guy

Big Wagon Guy

Ruby vibration Empty
PostSubject: Bad tire?   Ruby vibration Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 12:12 pm

I went nuts chasing a vibration on one of my B Cars...only to discover that I have a belt that was bad in a new tire. (Car would vibrate on the HWY)...and the vibration would go away after a short cool down period. The tire looked absolutely fine.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

Ruby vibration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ruby vibration   Ruby vibration Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 2:43 pm

Bad tire, wheel bearing... or... bad tie rod/center link/etc/.
Back to top Go down

Ruby vibration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ruby vibration   Ruby vibration Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 3:28 pm

You need to be in the car while your son is driving.Might be something he is doing since you have
driven over 200 miles with no problems at all.If the vibe only appears when he's driving,makes me
think it may be him and not the wagon.
IMHO
Back to top Go down
gmtech

gmtech

Ruby vibration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ruby vibration   Ruby vibration Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 4:03 pm

I might have an answer...

Ruby vibration ImagesqtbnANd9GcSgvV6SdJyetIZzvFwXF Ruby vibration ImagesqtbnANd9GcS8xltziRd6SgHQNRMOq

Pesky rumble strips!

lol!
Back to top Go down

Ruby vibration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ruby vibration   Ruby vibration Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 4:06 pm

GREAT ANSWER Paul!
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Ruby vibration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ruby vibration   Ruby vibration Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 9:01 pm

LOL @ Paul. I actually thought of that, but he wasn't on the highway yesterday and said it only happened on left turns. I will drive the car in the morning and see what's up.
Back to top Go down

Ruby vibration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ruby vibration   Ruby vibration Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 10:19 pm

Is your son a new driver/new wagon driver?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Ruby vibration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ruby vibration   Ruby vibration Icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 7:15 am

If it is in turns, I would concur on the belt. Mine vibrates a little at all times, and it is worse in right turns. It is a belt in the tire. I just don't have the time to get a replacement.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

Ruby vibration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ruby vibration   Ruby vibration Icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 10:31 am

Once you think you have the corrrect side isolated, how about swapping the wheels/tires from side to the other. It would help eliminate or pin down a tire belt issue, aor any tire/wheel related cause as being the problem.

Dave
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Ruby vibration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ruby vibration   Ruby vibration Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 9:46 pm

[quote="Flasheroo"]Is your son a new driver/new wagon driver?[/quote

Both.

As it turns out, it's the front U-joint. It comes and goes and is definitely there under the floor near the rear of the tranny. I can feel it (he has Bonnies and no center console right now). and putting the car in neutral doesn't make it stop. Having had a few U-joints go away on me, it has some time left in it, but needs attention soon (it'll continue to get worse).

It is weird how it'll just stop for awhile.

I think I will just go buy a whole new driveshaft from the bone yard for $20 (cheaper than u-joints, and much easier to remove/install) and see what happens.
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

Ruby vibration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ruby vibration   Ruby vibration Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 10:06 pm

a side question here are lt1 and tbi wagon drive shafts the same?
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

Ruby vibration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ruby vibration   Ruby vibration Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 10:14 am

Yes.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Ruby vibration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ruby vibration   Ruby vibration Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 8:17 pm

And as Pat found out for me earlier in another thread, so are the sedan drive shafts Smile

Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

Ruby vibration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ruby vibration   Ruby vibration Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 7:04 am

Chevy SSR driveshaft.... What a Face
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

Ruby vibration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ruby vibration   Ruby vibration Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 11:28 am

Check to see if the front U-joint is allowing things to move around; that may be why it comes and goes? My 9C1's driveshaft actually walked on the front u-joint and was massively out of center by the time I discovered it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ruby vibration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ruby vibration   Ruby vibration Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ruby vibration
Page 1 of 1