GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Lubing/Greasing the front end?

Go down 
+4
sherlock9c1
Olds Weighty Eight
Krzdimond
s1l1sc
8 posters
AuthorMessage
s1l1sc

Lubing/Greasing the front end? Empty
PostSubject: Lubing/Greasing the front end?   Lubing/Greasing the front end? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2012 9:37 pm

The front end on my wagon is creaking quite a bit - steering rack is making some noise also. Where exactly are the places that need o be oiled and what do you used to oil them?
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Lubing/Greasing the front end?   Lubing/Greasing the front end? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2012 10:21 pm

no oil, grease. Get a cheap gun and tube grease from autozone and hit the major parts. Wont go into where now..... Typing on my phone..... Will elaborate when i get to a real keyboard.
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: Lubing/Greasing the front end?   Lubing/Greasing the front end? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 26, 2012 2:35 am

You basically lube any joint that has a rubber boot and a grease fitting on it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage

PostSubject: Re: Lubing/Greasing the front end?   Lubing/Greasing the front end? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 26, 2012 5:19 pm

Sven,there should be 10 grease points/nipples under the front end and like Greg said,just look
for a rubber grommet.
Both sides upper ball joints
Both sides lower ball joints
Both sides outer tie-rod ends
Both sides inner tie-rod ends
Idler arm pivot point
Pittman arm attachment point
Pretty sure that it!
Back to top Go down
s1l1sc

PostSubject: Re: Lubing/Greasing the front end?   Lubing/Greasing the front end? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 26, 2012 9:38 pm

Thank you, I will take a look once the weather clears up and it stops raining here :-)
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Lubing/Greasing the front end?   Lubing/Greasing the front end? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2012 11:23 pm

Hit those every other oil change. Or every oil change if you change it at 5k like I do.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lubing/Greasing the front end?   Lubing/Greasing the front end? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2012 1:43 am

Sven,when you buy the mini grease gun make sure it has the flexible hose on it or you will need to buy one.Some of the mini guns come with a fixed metal tube which makes greasing some nipples impossible to reach.Take your time and dont pump too much grease into each fitting.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Lubing/Greasing the front end?   Lubing/Greasing the front end? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2012 8:59 pm

The next time you get your oil changed, they should grease your front end. They do it as part of the service at good garages/oil change stations.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Lubing/Greasing the front end?   Lubing/Greasing the front end? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2012 9:07 pm

lol, that's what they all say. Change your own oil, grease your own joints.

11... but that's just what I heard Wink
Back to top Go down
CowboyWagon

PostSubject: Re: Lubing/Greasing the front end?   Lubing/Greasing the front end? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2012 12:53 pm

Greasing joints is always important. At my shop we grease all joints with oil changes. Never heard of any issues with over greasing them. Can never be to lubbed !!
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Lubing/Greasing the front end?   Lubing/Greasing the front end? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2012 2:41 pm

Olds Weighty Eight wrote:
You basically lube any joint that has a rubber boot and a grease fitting on it.

I was going to say if it has a nipple lube it up. But it just sounded um,,,,lol Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lubing/Greasing the front end?   Lubing/Greasing the front end? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lubing/Greasing the front end?
Page 1 of 1