GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida

Go down 
+7
Sprocket
Krash Kadillak
87customcruiser
cammerjeff
81X11
sleepyzombie
alan.r.henry1
11 posters
AuthorMessage
alan.r.henry1

Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida Empty
PostSubject: Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida   Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 8:57 pm

I always liked station wagons, especially the woodgrained ones. I love the GM full size models from 1977 to 1990, and the final models as well. Today, after much soul searching, I bought a dream wagon off Craigslist in Vero Beach, FL. It's a 1990 Custom Cruiser in Light Beachwood, with a butterscotch interior. Outside of a disaster headliner held in with plastic pushpins, it's quite showy. An Ohio car with virtually no rust, original paint, factory floor mats, the window sticker, factory wire wheel covers with locks and all the glove compartment literature too. It even has GM factory replacement graining in its shipping carton and a Haynes Manual thrown in. He went from $2,500 to $2,400 mainly because of the headliner. It will need the 6 way power driver seat reactivated, an air conditioner recharge, all the radio speakers replaced, and the antenna won't come up.

I'm looking forward to getting the little quirks straightened out, so I can use it on a regular basis. My parents and I owned any number of GM products in my lifetime, and many aunts and uncles did so as well. But nothing quite as distinctive as my new baby! Thank you!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida   Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 9:14 pm

You came to the right spot - a lot of good members here!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida   Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 9:52 pm

Welcome to the group,sounds like you got a nice wagon.
Back to top Go down
sleepyzombie

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida   Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 11:22 pm

Sounds sexy! Post some pics.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida   Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 12:05 am

I loved my '89 OCC and look forward to pics of yours. If you have questions, ask away! Lots of good folks on here.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
cammerjeff

cammerjeff

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida   Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 10:41 am

Always happy to welcome anouther Boxie owner to the Site!!!! And look forward to seeing some pic's. And the headliner is a classic issue with the 77-90 B-body cars.
Back to top Go down
87customcruiser

87customcruiser

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida   Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 11:42 am

Welcome fellow boxie and OCC owner, I love my 87.
Your might want to check your fuse block, my wagon had the radio fuse pulled out because the antenna motor would not shut off. When I replaced it the radio worked ok, and I put the antenna in the up position, then unplugged the power connector to the motor. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
alan.r.henry1

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida   Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 2:51 pm

Thank you all for the welcome! The car was originally delivered to Colonial Oldsmobile in Montgomery, Ohio. It's still titled to the mother of the man I bought it from, it's going to be transferred to me tomorrow (cross fingers). It is registered in Florida to the seller.

Thanks for the radio advice, the present problem with it is as follows: left front speaker plays, the other three are staticy, with very little program heard, regardless of balance/front-rear settings, or other sound controls. I suspect the antenna was unplugged at some point or a fuse blew. Cassette section needs attention, apparently someone had to dig a tape out, the little door is loose and marked. Clock part of the radio works, as well as both bands.

It must have a leak somewhere because the right rear floor is moist and discolored. Carpeting needs a good cleaning, seats look good for 157,285 miles of service. Headliner as mentioned, and we don't think the rear facing third seat has ever been used. Tried to include pics, haven't mastered that here yet, unfortunately.

Last edited by alan.r.henry1 on Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : tried again to include pictures)
Back to top Go down
Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida   Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 6:33 pm

Welcome to the LRF, Alan. Us boxers have to stick together. You and I are in a similar situation. I've just acquired a '81 Bonneville Safari that came from Wisconsin. Getting my headliner done this week - I'll finally be able to see who's following me! My rear bumper filler is also busticated - there's a couple of places that sell replacements. Do an internet search. 'Replica Plastics' is the company that i will probably use.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida   Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 10:36 pm

Welcome aboard! Love to see pics when you get a chance.

You joined just in time, FL Wagonfest is just around the corner!!!!
Back to top Go down
alan.r.henry1

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida   Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 6:47 am

Thanks you guys, I can link pictures in a week, and I can't post here because they're too big. I haven't mastered resizing them either. My headliner resembles a cave ceiling, or a relief map of the Rockies, with all those pushpins and tacks in it. My bumpers are pushed in on the passenger side, the plastics aren't too trashed yet fortunately. I had a 1985 Toronado I made the mistake of trading off, it had a completely new set of plastic and a paint job. One unfortunate occurance of dealing with shops is that when they repair or replace something, they mess something up. I had the leather panels replaced on the driver seat of a '79 Fleetwood, with a good grade of vinyl. The company had been in business for years, and still are. They ruined my headliner and the C panels in the back of the car! And when I said I'd like to speak to the manager, the counterman said it wouldn't do me any good! People who painted the Toro left a cigarette burn on the fuzzy package tray under the rear window! People who painted the Fleetwood broke the little cable in the remote mirror. I dread having the headlining replaced in this car. I hope I do not have to leave it at the shop.

I hope I'm able to make the Florida Wagonfest, where will it be taking place? And good luck with that Bonneville, I fell in love with a new '87 Safari that looked like yours, these boats are just gorgeous!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida   Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 7:22 am

I'm in Stuart! We're practically neighbors. Welcome to the forums.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida   Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 10:13 am

WF info:

https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t7824-florida-wagonfest-2013

March 23-24 in Daytona

If you have basic skills you can do the headliner yourself. Quite a number of write-ups around on how to do it. Hard part is getting all the old crap off of it, otherwise pretty straightforward stuff.

They sell material at Jo-Annes fabric store or you can order online....
Back to top Go down
alan.r.henry1

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida   Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 12:31 pm

Thanks again guys. New wrinkle in my first GM station wagon. Drove the car home Saturday, no problems. Did have to add a quart of transmission fluid though. Started Sunday and Monday, no problem. Had to return to Vero Beach to get the title and plate straightened out. Yesterday, Tuesday, after returning from Vero I bought taillight bulbs for brakes and blinkers. Put the back window down, and installed the bulbs. Checked both sides to see if they were burning, all four worked. Installed new plate, got in to take it for its first legal ride--you guessed it. No go. Electric in car working, just that sick noise when there isn't enough juice to start. Tried quick starting with a battery charger, then left it for two hours to get a charge. No again.

So today I got new jumper cables, and attempted to jump start it off my Xterra. Battery deader, I've called a mobile repair company to come out to help. This was going to be a last time toy, so far a $3000 headache. I did read four or five other threads relating to these issues, and got the gist of what could be or not be happening.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida   Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 1:29 pm

Could be a bad battery or something as simple as you're accidentally leaving a rear cargo light
switch in the on position,From what you said,its the battery.These are old cars and because
of that,things go wrong.Give the wagon a chance to grow on you before you declare it a
headache.
Back to top Go down
alan.r.henry1

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida   Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 2:25 pm

Thanks Jim, the battery is from Advantage, and their cheapest available. It's dated July 2011 (7/11) and was purchased by the seller in Vero on August 27, '11. Outside of being coldly disgusted by the circumstances, I'm not ready to write it off. Currently, the courtesy lights and dome light are working, one door intermittant with dome light. The cargo light does not seem to work, but I did switch the switch on it and don't know which setting turns it off, in the event that would mean something even without the bulb lighting. Right now, it's been switched toward the back window, not center or other setting. I think I gave away all the little tools I had that would at least let me get the battery out. So I'm going to look for a cheap set or the kindness of a neighbor. I hope it's simple, I realize things are going to go out on any old car, but I was hoping it would be a few months. So, maybe voltage regulator, alternator, starter, or as you suggest, the battery. I honestly don't think my bulb changing put a big drain on it. I did check the lights for less than a minute per side before I tried to start it. And ran the back window down.

Seller ran the battery down when he vacuumed the car before he listed it. He got it jumped and it was great for two weeks or so. The salesperson in Auto Zone informed me that the battery would not necessarily last any length of time, even only having less than two years. Heat kills, which I know, and apparently cold can too, as well as infrequent use. Mobile repairman was not available, so, on to Plan B.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida   Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 5:46 pm

Pull the battery out and take it to auto zone or wherever and get it tested, before you spend time looking elsewhere.
Is there water in it?
Back to top Go down
alan.r.henry1

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida   Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 7:16 pm

I'm going to get some basic tools and pull it tomorrow, take it to Auto Zone. The second mobile repairman with a great Craigslist ad did not call back. I'll get it together eventually. Looking forward to going out on the open road with that baby. I'm hoping that guy will call me anyhow, his rates are low.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida   Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 9:33 pm

If the dude is in business and doesn't call back, he is obviously not responsible. I wouldn't want that sort of person working on something that my life depends on (car being safe to drive). Just sayin'
Back to top Go down
alan.r.henry1

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida   Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2013 7:46 am

Point well taken Sprocket. The first man called back after two messages, is not available for two days. The ad states if he doesn't get back to you, to call again because of things he's sidetracked with or busy. Second one says pretty much the same thing. But I'll just yank the battery and go to Auto Zone with it. As far as a permanent mechanic for either vehicle, that's up for debate.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida   Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2013 11:04 am

if you want a mechanic because you don't have the skills yourself, these cars are not complicated and the support here is awesome.

If you want a mech cuz you don't have time or any desire, that's a different story.

I'm my own mechanic for reasons stated above, as well as owning an older car they do need attention and I can't afford paying someone else to do all the work all the time.
Back to top Go down
alan.r.henry1

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida   Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2013 7:36 pm

Well, pulled the battery today, had to get some cheap tools from Ace Hardware to do it. AutoZone charged it for an hour, came out perfect. Drove around my neighborhood about five or six miles in the daylight, and for a few minutes at twilight. Strong performer. But now I need parking lights so the directional signals will start working. Then I can get the headliner (I do not trust me to do it) and the one tire reversed so the whitewall will show. Looks lopsided with one blackwall.
Back to top Go down
alan.r.henry1

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida   Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 6:03 am

If I had the skills, equipment and location to do repairs, I would definitely be doing them. All I really have is a love of cars, and just enough for basic maintainance. I know it is foolish to own something and have to pay to have it repaired and looked after, but this is how it is here. This is one of my guilty pleasures.
Back to top Go down
AlmostaBuick

AlmostaBuick

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida   Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2013 8:46 pm

Cool Welcome to the forum, neighbor.
The headliner takes the better part of a day to clean and recover, but it isn't difficult at all.
Congrats on your new ride!
Back to top Go down
alan.r.henry1

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida   Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 7:34 am

Thanks for the welcome and advice. We had two car ceilings replaced, it seems like it was rather quick for the professionals. I'll certainly give it a good deal of consideration before I make my final decision. If I understand correctly, the cloth and foam aren't attatched directly to the ceiling, there are panels you apply them to and then reinstall upon completion? Sorry if that might be a stupid question.
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida   Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 10:50 am

Correct, the headliner is a removable panel, albeit a long one in our wagons. I did mine recently using a kit from YourAutoTrim.com. They have a wide selection of colors, handy kits, great pricing and service.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida   Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 11:10 am

Greg,your car is melting!We got lucky here,lots of rain for 3 days and then it got COLD!
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida   Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 1:15 pm

Seems as if we've only seen the sun about twice since the week before Christmas. Lots of rain with a dash of snow and ice thrown in along the way. We're getting a decent break now from the doom and gloom.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida   Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 2:40 pm

Greg if thats the worst you get,count yourself fortunate and yes WINTER SUCKS!
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida   Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 6:50 pm

Welcome.........
Back to top Go down
alan.r.henry1

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida   Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2013 9:25 am

Today I bought a 1990 showroom loose leaf with all of the Olds line, first one I've ever gotten my hands on! Well, when it comes. Yeah, it stinks about the winters, I have a friend in Greeneville, TN who has it all too. Well, summer and all the trimmings are right around the corner!
Back to top Go down
alan.r.henry1

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida   Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 6:45 am

So, here's a link to my Flickr set on the '90 Custom Cruiser: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35356512@N05/sets/72157632511522693/
Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida   Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 11:23 am

Great pictures. I like the color of that interior.

On a side note I couldn't help but notice the Nissan Extera in the background. Watch out for the Distributor they are prone to failure. Well technically speaking its the sealed bearing in the distributor that goes bad. this will causess the camshaft positioning sensor to mess up the timing. When it happens the car will run like crap, if you can even keep it running. There will more than likely be two codes that are triggered one for the camshaft positioning sensor, and another for the knock sensor. I don't remember the code numbers. Disregard the knock sensor it's purely the camshaft sensor that's causing the knock sensor to trigger.

You have two options. You can replace the sealed bearing for the distributor, Or you can replace the whole distributor. To replace the bearing you need to disassemble the one you have, and press the new bearing in place. But there is no telling if the optical wheel might have been damaged by the bearing failure. Replacing the whole distributor is an easier job then rebuilding your old one. Rock Auto is a great source to get a replacement. Your local auto parts store (autozone etc.) will want $250.00-$300.00 clams. I think I got one on rock auto for around half that.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida   Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 11:29 am

Good pics! Pretty car, I like the color a lot!
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida   Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 5:03 pm

Nice pics! Very boxalicious
Back to top Go down
alan.r.henry1

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida   Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2013 2:26 pm

Shawn, I have a feeling I've already gone through that business with the Xterra, had a big do in June of 2010, where it spent 2 weeks in the shop for all kinds of things. It has an oil leak for some reason.

Thanks for the nice compliments folks. I'm enjoying the heck out of the Olds, not really doing anything more than motoring around the neighborhood. I decided to find out why the power driver seat doesn't work. Hah, switch wasn't plugged in, easy fix! Wait, no, the clear plastic fittings the switch plugs into is melted on the left side, looking at the top. So, I have a good excuse to hit the junkyard and look for the replacement. But no, went into the storage compartment in the back panel to dig through the parts the previous owner left in it. Found a stablizing arm, a light socket and wires, which apparently I need since the left brake light is out already, even with new bulbs. And surprise, a brand new clear seat switch assembly with several white wires connected, from GM, and two brand new GM power seat switches in boxes. The switch in the door looks good as well. It will be interesting to replace that assembly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida   Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello from Port St. Lucie, Florida
Page 1 of 1