GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

OCC Cruise Control Died

Go down 
+2
scoffman
81X11
6 posters
AuthorMessage
81X11

81X11

OCC Cruise Control Died Empty
PostSubject: OCC Cruise Control Died   OCC Cruise Control Died Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2013 11:04 am

On the way home from Temple Tx Saturday afternoon the cruise control died on the '92 OCC. No reason why, was cruising at 75 and the pedal popped up, and no fiddling with the stalk would get it to come back on. Fuse is good, and I unplgged and re-plugged in the box under the hood on the fender. Nothing. Doh. Open for ideas.

Just a heads-up, since I bought the car, if I hit a large bump on the highway the cruise would kick off. If I hit Resume it would come right back on....and I have not messed with it. I wonder if this is related?

Any ideas please let me know, and THANKS!

-Mike

Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

PostSubject: Re: OCC Cruise Control Died   OCC Cruise Control Died Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2013 11:09 am

Same thing was going on with my cruise control as far as large bump and it would kick off. The contacts were dirty inside. I followed a previous post on here that explains how to remove the stock and clean the contacts. Worked great I now have full functioning cruise control.

I would try cleaning the contacts first. It's real easy.

Here's the link https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t6945-cruise-control-switch-not-working-here-s-a-fix?highlight=cruise+control
Back to top Go down
94X2

94X2

PostSubject: Re: OCC Cruise Control Died   OCC Cruise Control Died Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2013 2:42 pm

I that doesn't work Mike it could be the cruise module under the hood. I had the same problem where mine would disengage when I hit a bump. Then it started kicking off at random and finally quit altogether. I swapped the module and my cruise worked again. The one I took off my car had a "rattle" in it so something probably broke. I haven't taken it apart yet to find out. I discovered that the module is the same between the tbi and lt1 cars; just a different cable. It was really easy to change.

Jon
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: OCC Cruise Control Died   OCC Cruise Control Died Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2013 3:42 pm

94X2 wrote:
I that doesn't work Mike it could be the cruise module under the hood. I had the same problem where mine would disengage when I hit a bump. Then it started kicking off at random and finally quit altogether. I swapped the module and my cruise worked again. The one I took off my car had a "rattle" in it so something probably broke. I haven't taken it apart yet to find out. I discovered that the module is the same between the tbi and lt1 cars; just a different cable. It was really easy to change.

Jon

Good info! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: OCC Cruise Control Died   OCC Cruise Control Died Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 10:13 am

The switch behind the brake pedal may be adjusted too close to the pedal. The bump may trigger the switch to disengage the CC. There are 2 switches, I believe it is the top one.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: OCC Cruise Control Died   OCC Cruise Control Died Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 2:33 pm

And, before anyone tells you otherwise: the CHMSL does NOT need to work for the cruise to work on our wagons (both TBI and LT1).
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: OCC Cruise Control Died   OCC Cruise Control Died Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 9:56 am

Well the cruise came back to life, kind of. When I push Resume/Accel to speed up, the cruise shuts off. If I just push the button on the tip of the stalk to set it, it will set, but will shut off if I hit a bump, or like I said, if you try to speed up using the accel button.

So thoughts? Bad control module box under the hood?

-Mike
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: OCC Cruise Control Died   OCC Cruise Control Died Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 10:42 am

First fix try would be to swap out the stalk. Pop off the plastic cover on the column, unplug the little connector (careful, don't break the retaining tab), and pull hard out towards the door on the stalk. It will pop right out. A stalk from one of your other GMs may work to test, just compare the functions and connector. If the stalk doesn't fix it, follow the trouble shooting flow chart in the FSM to test for voltages at the cruise box connector, it's fool proof.
Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

PostSubject: Re: OCC Cruise Control Died   OCC Cruise Control Died Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 2:26 pm

That is exactly what my cruise was doing. Just clean the contacts it will fix it.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: OCC Cruise Control Died   OCC Cruise Control Died Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 4:02 pm

scoffman wrote:
That is exactly what my cruise was doing. Just clean the contacts it will fix it.

At the box under the hood or the stalk wiring?
Back to top Go down
uxwbill

uxwbill

PostSubject: Re: OCC Cruise Control Died   OCC Cruise Control Died Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 1:23 am

81X11 wrote:
When I push Resume/Accel to speed up, the cruise shuts off.

So thoughts? Bad control module box under the hood?
Most probably not. Go and do this. I know it's wordy and I do admit to enjoying typing on a good keyboard a bit much...but I practically guarantee this will fix your problem.

The few times I could get my car's cruise control to set, diddling with the off/on/resume/accel switch would knock it out of cruise control. Given that once I finally could get it set, it was reliable until the control was fiddled with, I knew it had to be in the control stalk.

The can of cleaner cost about $5. (Edit: I see it's a bit more expensive now on the RS website, though still not bad.) You've got nothing to lose by trying and it really only does take minutes.

Last edited by uxwbill on Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://greyghost.mooo.com/
uxwbill

uxwbill

PostSubject: Re: OCC Cruise Control Died   OCC Cruise Control Died Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 1:25 am

81X11 wrote:
At the box under the hood or the stalk wiring?
You remove the stalk (it's easy), take it a little bit of the way apart and shoot the cleaner in there.

The write up I did has pictures you can look at to see what needs to be done. To this day mine still works flawlessly and that's a good thing. I use it a lot.

Why it happens is another matter entirely...I can't imagine those contacts see a lot of current put across them and the action of the switch would at least imply slight abrasion of the contacts at each actuation. But then again, the joke about GM and electrical contacts almost writes itself.
Back to top Go down
uxwbill

uxwbill

PostSubject: Re: OCC Cruise Control Died   OCC Cruise Control Died Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 1:29 am

jayoldschool wrote:
And, before anyone tells you otherwise: the CHMSL does NOT need to work for the cruise to work on our wagons (both TBI and LT1).
Any thoughts on why that is the case? I remember being quite surprised to read that the CHMSL had to be functional as per the service manual.
Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

PostSubject: Re: OCC Cruise Control Died   OCC Cruise Control Died Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 12:20 pm

What uxwbill said.

Remove the stalk and clean the contacts by spraying cleaner all inside it and fiddling with the buttons/switches.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: OCC Cruise Control Died   OCC Cruise Control Died Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 5:22 pm

uxwbill wrote:
jayoldschool wrote:
Any thoughts on why that is the case? I remember being quite surprised to read that the CHMSL had to be functional as per the service manual.

I don't know why. I do know that the sedans DO require it to work. The CHMSL did not work on my 92, and it does not work on my 94, and the cruise works on both of them.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OCC Cruise Control Died   OCC Cruise Control Died Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

OCC Cruise Control Died
Page 1 of 1