GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

So maybe I don't own a Wagon...

Go down 
+4
silverfox103
Sprocket
jayoldschool
The-Dullahan
8 posters
AuthorMessage
The-Dullahan

So maybe I don't own a Wagon... Empty
PostSubject: So maybe I don't own a Wagon...   So maybe I don't own a Wagon... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 8:10 pm

Salutations, Gentlemen (And the occasional Lady)

I am more than familiar with the Forum thing, belonging to a few others (the only one relevant to most of you probably being CadillacForums Some of you are even members, imagine that.)

I am actually introducing myself now because I have gotten in touch with one of your own members (A notable Mr. BigBlackBeaSSt) about an Impala SS rearend that he has, but as fate would have it, I am in Florida, but it is in Pennsylvania. I'd like to purchase it and perhaps one of you lads could help me out here. Of the possible tricks to get it to me, one is for anyone possibly in his area picking it up and may haps bringing it to Florida for an upcoming meet I hear you kids are having in Daytona, at which point I would go to Daytona myself, meet up with you and pick it up (then probably admire all the wagons for the rest of the day). I am not really too sure about all of the information for this event, but I suspect it to be the "Florida Wagonfest 2013". I'd post a link, but I am not allowed to, if this is anything like the Cadillac Forums, because I am still new here.

The same event that Stingroo is talking about on your forum though, the one in March. I know Sting actually, he's a good kid.

That being said, I suppose the rest of my introduction would be to mention that I'd really like to get this rearend, because I have an engine I am hoping to swap into one of my cars and will be needing a new rear for it and this one is practically perfect. I was turned onto BigBlackBeaSSt by Jay, a member of the caddy forum as well and through email, BeaSSt sent me here.

Anyhow, for those curious parties, I went through the trouble of locating, acquiring and obtaining a forgotten 500 CID Cadillac motor from a 1970 Eldorado and rebuilding it. And from here, need to get a few more things together to get it into my car. A new Rearend is definitely among them (If I had some free time ever, that would be nice too, but that hasn't happened for the last year, so I'm making do with what I can). Likewise, for those interested, while my car isn't really a Station Wagon, it's...well, it's sort of close. Kind of.

Hearses are like Wagons in a way, I suppose. :/
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: So maybe I don't own a Wagon...   So maybe I don't own a Wagon... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 8:44 pm

Someone help him out, he's a good guy!
Back to top Go down
The-Dullahan

PostSubject: Re: So maybe I don't own a Wagon...   So maybe I don't own a Wagon... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 10:09 pm

Yeah, I'm just a tad...weird.

Thanks Jay. As usual, you're the man.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So maybe I don't own a Wagon...   So maybe I don't own a Wagon... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 1:05 am

Also can vouch. Met in person, been to my house, ridden in his hearse.

Etc.

Welcome. This is turning into miniature CF as of late....
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: So maybe I don't own a Wagon...   So maybe I don't own a Wagon... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 11:16 pm

Well there are a few peeps coming from the NE, but dunno it they could hook up with BigBlackBeastie.....sounds like a worthy pursuit....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So maybe I don't own a Wagon...   So maybe I don't own a Wagon... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 11:27 pm

Sprocket wrote:
Well there are a few peeps coming from the NE, but dunno it they could hook up with BigBlackBeastie.....sounds like a worthy pursuit....

As long as they have a trailer to transport the axle on!
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: So maybe I don't own a Wagon...   So maybe I don't own a Wagon... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 11:38 pm

I'm sure that I am not the only one that has transported a complete rear end in the back of my wagon. Unloaded it myself, too. Now that I think of it, that probably contributed to at least one of my herniated discs...
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: So maybe I don't own a Wagon...   So maybe I don't own a Wagon... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 12:05 am

I had a 9c1 rear in Grimace.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: So maybe I don't own a Wagon...   So maybe I don't own a Wagon... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 9:08 am

If I had the room, I would bring it down. We are going a week early to see my son and daughter in Atlanta. We always fly when we go and see them and they fly to NH. As they are both homeowners, the wagon will be full of their stuff.

Tom
Back to top Go down
cadillac kevin

PostSubject: Re: So maybe I don't own a Wagon...   So maybe I don't own a Wagon... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 10:25 am

Welcome aboard rob (man it is getting like a mini CF in here!)
Rob is a good guy, and he drives a really cool hearse (I mean hearses are cool normally, but robs is cooler)
Back to top Go down
The-Dullahan

PostSubject: Re: So maybe I don't own a Wagon...   So maybe I don't own a Wagon... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 11:39 am

^Kevin too?!?

Yeah, this is a pandemic!

Maybe that's why I like my Cadillac. It does not suffer from being loaded quite as easily as a wagon (Come to think of it, even my '72 coupe was considerably longer than a wagon) due to having significantly more space and no seats in the way. I can easily pick it up from Daytona, so long as it gets here.

If I knew earlier, I'd have picked it up in PA myself when I was there but a few weeks back.
Back to top Go down
The-Dullahan

PostSubject: Re: So maybe I don't own a Wagon...   So maybe I don't own a Wagon... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 6:16 pm

I am realizing I didn't mention this bit, which is sort of important.

I am willing to pay whomever can bring it to Daytona.
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: So maybe I don't own a Wagon...   So maybe I don't own a Wagon... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 7:05 pm

I love Hearses. Photos please. Welcome to Forum.
COL
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: So maybe I don't own a Wagon...   So maybe I don't own a Wagon... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 8:38 pm

Wish I could help you out, dude... But I'm not even heading to the Florida-Fest this year. Sad

Welcome aboard, man. Hopefully someone can hook you up! Smile
Back to top Go down
The-Dullahan

PostSubject: Re: So maybe I don't own a Wagon...   So maybe I don't own a Wagon... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 10:16 pm

COL wrote:
I love Hearses. Photos please. Welcome to Forum.
COL

And I love Station Wagons. Maybe not as much as Stingroo... I drive a '58 Olds Wagon at times. Never been too much a fan of modern cars (the ones with plastic headlamps or airbags), so I just prefer to own and drive older ones.

I think there is a seven day waiting period before I am allowed to post links though, so use your imagination. It's big, black and carries coffins.
Back to top Go down
The-Dullahan

PostSubject: Re: So maybe I don't own a Wagon...   So maybe I don't own a Wagon... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 10:21 pm

Maybe I can cheat the system and upload a photo this way?

This is Branwen, my 1987 Brougham (Specifically a Sovereign model by Superior). She's a bit odd, as she was actually the prototype model for the following year. Due to being a late-production '87 model (with an '88 VIN) she has the high output olds 307 motor, which while not a bad engine, is not really a good engine for a fullsize vehicle (nonetheless one with the added weight and size of a Commercial platform). She was in service in Salem, Massachusetts until I managed to acquire her. Neglected, forgotten and not really functional, I managed to get her all the way to Florida and poured my very soul into making it work, working on it day and night through hurricanes and blistering FL sunlight (which isn't too bad, but I am not supposed to even BE in the sun and burn within five minutes) but hey, I liked my car and wanted to take care of it. This was made more difficult by the fact that this was my ONLY car since youth (until recent days) though I never really cared about the horrible MPG...the real problem was constant assaults, vandalism and damages caused by the same group of people. This went on for years (and the proceeding court cases are still ongoing...I think it is like...seven years later)

So maybe I don't own a Wagon... 100_0611

Since then, she has undergone all types of rebuilds and modifications, now sporting a fancy casket and far too much stereo equipment. When the engine swap is done, I like to believe I can one day find the time to have her stripped, have the rust taken care of and put on some new paint and vinyl.

Last edited by The-Dullahan on Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
The-Dullahan

PostSubject: Re: So maybe I don't own a Wagon...   So maybe I don't own a Wagon... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 10:23 pm

HEY! That worked.

Here's the project engine, for anyone curious.

MSD ignition, Edelbrock intake, cast aluminium valve covers and pulleys, custom AC mount, (because on Cadillac Motors, the AC compressor mounts on the intake manifold, so the Edelbrock intake makes this a bit tricky to pull off) and in this photo, it even has my 650 amp alternator. All the best parts I could find. Now it needs to be in my car...

So maybe I don't own a Wagon... Imag0110
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So maybe I don't own a Wagon...   So maybe I don't own a Wagon... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 10:37 pm

I call first dibs on driving it post-500 swap.

After you, naturally.

Still this hearse stands far-and-away as the smoothest vehicle I have ever driven (even if nowhere near being the fastest).
Back to top Go down
The-Dullahan

PostSubject: Re: So maybe I don't own a Wagon...   So maybe I don't own a Wagon... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 10:53 pm

The top speed is still unknown. I've had it around 120. Still, it takes a long time to get there. Mostly, because it's 0-60 speed isn't the best. After that, it's great. Drove it 350 miles to a friend's in GA a week ago and there and back, had no problems cruising along around 90.

Ray, I will gladly let you drive it first (after me) UNLESS, Craig is in present when you see it. You know, to date, he hasn't ever gotten to drive it? I think he deserves it after letting me cruise around in his '77 all weekend at the CLC meet and also, he has NEVER driven in a 500-powered car. You probably haven't either, but it is amazing to think Craig of all people hasn't. But since he's Craig and he's awesome like that, he'll probably insist you get to drive it before him anyhow.

While Sting was borrowing my car, I pikeyed his wagon myself (It was red back then). At the time, it had been my first time driving a Station Wagon since I was like...ten.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So maybe I don't own a Wagon...   So maybe I don't own a Wagon... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2013 12:09 am

Haha it WAS red back then...

Long, long ago:

So maybe I don't own a Wagon... 310605_243741399001965_948256_n

(Well anyway, that's enough threadjacking for now...)
Back to top Go down
Iceman

Iceman

PostSubject: Re: So maybe I don't own a Wagon...   So maybe I don't own a Wagon... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2013 9:10 am

That motor is going to be outstanding. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/thomas.t.murphy
The-Dullahan

PostSubject: Re: So maybe I don't own a Wagon...   So maybe I don't own a Wagon... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2013 4:11 pm

Thanks, I do my best. Sadly, my lack of free time has been detrimental to progress and that engine has been sitting as-is for quite a long while. I have tried taking advantage of the brief moments I get to work on the project (When I spent the weekend in GA, I checked every Craigslist between here and there in hopes of finding a good rear end)

I am not ac concerned with finding the Transmission, because I can do that ANY day. The Rearend is proving troublesome (the motor mounts took months of searching)

I recall when I did my Pontiac I had VERY good luck with parts and considering it was a far more massive project, I'd say I got it done in a reasonable timeframe too. I also had a different job and though I had many outside-of-work responsibilities I no longer have, I still had a lot more free time back then.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: So maybe I don't own a Wagon...   So maybe I don't own a Wagon... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2013 6:34 pm

where in FL? I can keep eyes open for a rear.
Back to top Go down
The-Dullahan

PostSubject: Re: So maybe I don't own a Wagon...   So maybe I don't own a Wagon... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2013 6:59 pm

Clermont. Realistically, I travel about and actually bounce around the country at times, so ANYWHERE in FL is good. The real problem I am having finding worthwhile parts in Florida is that Craigslist is almost useless, as there is no uniform means of searching for a specific part, since people call them "Rearends" "Rear Ends" "Differentials" "Rear Axles" "Rear Axels" and even "Rear Acksils" so it becomes difficult to search every county for all of these. Likewise, it is difficult to search for a specific gear ratio, since no one wants to accept a uniform means of typing the ratio out.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: So maybe I don't own a Wagon...   So maybe I don't own a Wagon... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2013 10:46 pm

so you looking specifically for a 3.08 posi rear? Is a B-body wagon rear okay or looking for the 1.5 inch narrower sedan rear with discs? I'm feeling a junkyard run in WPB pretty soon.
Back to top Go down
The-Dullahan

PostSubject: Re: So maybe I don't own a Wagon...   So maybe I don't own a Wagon... Icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2013 8:33 pm

From my understanding (as explained by Jay, as my knowledge of the wagons is not particularly much) the wagon rears will bolt up if factory bushings are used, because the mounts are SLIGHTLY different.

So yeah, that should work, so long as the gear ratio is alright. 3.08 is as high as I should go, as I plan to use a 4L80e, due to the added benefit of overdrive.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: So maybe I don't own a Wagon...   So maybe I don't own a Wagon... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2013 10:39 am

Wagon rears are wider than an Impala rear by 1.5 inches and several mount points are slightly different.

Wagon rears are drum brake too, vs the impala discs.

3.08 rear came in the impala. Wagons were other 2.56, 2.73, 2.93 or 3.23 depending on which year or if the car had a factory tow pack. Most but not all tow pack cars got posi...
Back to top Go down
The-Dullahan

PostSubject: Re: So maybe I don't own a Wagon...   So maybe I don't own a Wagon... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2013 12:09 pm

Posi would be cool. I am not particularly concerned with having discs or not. 3.23 would be the better option of those gear ratios to have.

As for the mount differences, so long as it will still bolt up to my car, I really have no preference.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: So maybe I don't own a Wagon...   So maybe I don't own a Wagon... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2013 12:41 pm

Hmm. You could add the 91-93 9C1 rear end to your list. The sedan size, 8.5", 3.42 gears.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So maybe I don't own a Wagon...   So maybe I don't own a Wagon... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2013 2:02 pm

Or the rarer than hens teeth '93 FWB tow pack rear with 3.73s....
Back to top Go down
The-Dullahan

PostSubject: Re: So maybe I don't own a Wagon...   So maybe I don't own a Wagon... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 3:17 am

At the present time, my local junkyard has nothing of particular interest for rearends listed in their online inventory. I really DO have to make a trip out there soon, as I have assembled a list of parts I need for people. Maybe they'll have something then. A fan assembly from one of these wagons seems like something I should grab as well, since I plan to run electric fans.

It's funny, because I have been trying to make time for a trip there for two months, but I had a car sold to them two days ago though.

My most recent check indicates that they have four Cadillacs that interest me though. Maybe I can tweak the work schedule for a day...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So maybe I don't own a Wagon...   So maybe I don't own a Wagon... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So maybe I don't own a Wagon...
Page 1 of 1