GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

LT-1 starter issues

Go down 
+2
GN1220
da_judge_70
6 posters
AuthorMessage
da_judge_70

LT-1 starter issues Empty
PostSubject: LT-1 starter issues   LT-1 starter issues Icon_minitimeSat Mar 09, 2013 2:17 pm

Anyone else here have their starter break the cast aluminum nose off? mine just broke its second one today, also broke a tooth off the flexplate. I see the corvette LT1/4 starters dont have the same cast nose as the big cars have, considering one as a replacement along with replacing the flexplate. does anyone here know if they are a direct replacement for our wagons?
Back to top Go down
GN1220

PostSubject: Re: LT-1 starter issues   LT-1 starter issues Icon_minitimeSat Mar 09, 2013 5:35 pm

Direct fit and cheaper. I did this swap a couple weeks ago and the parts store wanted $180 for a stock replacement and $120 for a 1996 Corvette starter. The only issue I had was the fact I had to loosen the two clamps on the frame, one below the battery and one under the a/c lines in order to pull the cable about 2". Used the same bolts, saved $60, sounds cool when it spins and starts very quickly.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: LT-1 starter issues   LT-1 starter issues Icon_minitimeSat Mar 09, 2013 6:47 pm

The Vette starter is the way to go, but it sounds like you have another issue. I'm thinking the spacing isn't right causing binding.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: LT-1 starter issues   LT-1 starter issues Icon_minitimeSat Mar 09, 2013 8:14 pm

may have lost a shim along the way. Yes, the vette starter is the way to go, I learned alot about them recently. Basically, they are all the same darn started. I got a denso off of ebay for about 80 shipped and it works great.

Got a thread about it on here with part numbers
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

ayilar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Gastt

Gastt

PostSubject: Re: LT-1 starter issues   LT-1 starter issues Icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2013 12:39 am

Bolts right in. You just need to remove some 10mm bolts along the frame holding the wire harness to give you some slack so the connectors will reach,
Back to top Go down
GN1220

PostSubject: Re: LT-1 starter issues   LT-1 starter issues Icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2013 10:56 am

Gastt wrote:
Bolts right in. You just need to remove some 10mm bolts along the frame holding the wire harness to give you some slack so the connectors will reach,

I discovered that the bolts only hold the clamp to the frame, you need to bend the tap up a little bit to loosen the clamping force on the wire.
Back to top Go down
Roadagon

PostSubject: Re: LT-1 starter issues   LT-1 starter issues Icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2013 9:22 am

Yes as stated in an earlier post ,I think you must have clearance problems if you are breaking things.
I would carefully check that you are not getting interference between the starter gear and the gear teeth
on the flexplate. ed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LT-1 starter issues   LT-1 starter issues Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

LT-1 starter issues
Page 1 of 1