GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Stupid digial gauge

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
nstg8r

Stupid digial gauge Empty
PostSubject: Stupid digial gauge   Stupid digial gauge Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 11:40 am

So, when I first bought the wagon, the digital gauge wasn't working at all. I took it apart and there was a pin that was bent and not connecting, bent it back and bam it worked great. Fast forward a few months and now it's getting REALLY dim (to the point where if I turn on the headlights during the day, you can't see it at all) Any ideas where I should start looking? Or should I give up on the digital gauge and swap in either a camaro cluster or an impala ss cluster?
Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

PostSubject: Re: Stupid digial gauge   Stupid digial gauge Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 1:07 pm

I believe these were prone to having what is called a "cold solder joint". Where the solder wasn't done very well (usually a hair line crack in the solder joint) and loosens up when it gets hot. You could try checking all the solder connections and re-solder them if necessary.

Of course a new cluster would be cool too. One of my dream mods is to swap in a digital dash cluster from an Oldsmobile Custom Supreme 1989-1991. I've got all the parts and books I just need to make time to do it. I want to do a write up on it to share with the forum too. I'm hoping to do it before the end of Spring, when I swap out my radio.

Good luck if you decide to track down the problem instead of replacing the cluster.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Stupid digial gauge   Stupid digial gauge Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2013 9:08 am

I used this one in my 93 wagon a bout five years ago. Not exactly a snap in replacement, but fit perfectly behind the bezel. I used a few modular molex connectors from Radio shack so that it was easy to remove.

link to product at: http://www.intellitronix.com/6-gauge-panel.html

Stupid digial gauge ShammoosDigitalCluster

Stupid digial gauge 100_3151
Back to top Go down
nstg8r

PostSubject: Re: Stupid digial gauge   Stupid digial gauge Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 2:31 pm

I'm thinking of just repairing mine, it doesn't look that hard. On a semi-related note, has anyone ever changed the color of the LED's in their digital gauge? I'd love to change mine to orange or red.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stupid digial gauge   Stupid digial gauge Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stupid digial gauge
Page 1 of 1