GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

want to tow a boat

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
poppawoodie

poppawoodie

want to tow a boat Empty
PostSubject: want to tow a boat   want to tow a boat Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 1:32 pm

the wheels are turning, want to tow a 16 ft fiberglass boat 3 days a week possibly. my 91 rmw is a 5.0, so question is will it mech hold up to that load regulary. What about an extra 4 to 500 pounds? I know cond is everything but im talking fresh condition like I could've bought new and towed a set up like this for a long period of the cars life. Or are your .7 litres really that much bigger than mine Rolling Eyes Ive got some ideas so I will be asking alot
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

want to tow a boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: want to tow a boat   want to tow a boat Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 1:43 pm

An extra 500 lbs will not cause you an grief. Even the 5.0 should pull with no issues. My flat bad landscape trailer weighs 1100 lbs empty and the camper is 1700 empty. When it was stock with 2.56 gears I pulled the camper loaded with 6 people and gear with no issue. Granted I have the LT1 5.7 motor.
Back to top Go down

want to tow a boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: want to tow a boat   want to tow a boat Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 8:06 pm

You will be just fine with your 305,just plan your passing on 2 lane roads carefully and as always never tailgate.Keep the wagon's brakes and steering in great condition and check all 6 tires often.
Back to top Go down
poppawoodie

poppawoodie

want to tow a boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: want to tow a boat   want to tow a boat Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 8:30 pm

thanks guys its an idear I have, I will keep you posted.
Back to top Go down
turbobill

want to tow a boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: want to tow a boat   want to tow a boat Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2013 8:07 am

With the 5.0, the boat and extra weight, I'd do any towing in 3rd or direct gear. That will make life on the transmission much easier, reduce the load on the engine, and assist with compression braking at highway speeds.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

want to tow a boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: want to tow a boat   want to tow a boat Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2013 9:53 am

turbobill wrote:
With the 5.0, the boat and extra weight, I'd do any towing in 3rd or direct gear. That will make life on the transmission much easier, reduce the load on the engine, and assist with compression braking at highway speeds.

Not a bad idea!!
Back to top Go down
yakko

yakko

want to tow a boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: want to tow a boat   want to tow a boat Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 6:11 pm

Oh my boat and trailer weighs 3500 lbs. I used to have a 1984 chevy wagon that would pull my boat all over the place! I had a classIII hitch on it. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

want to tow a boat Empty
PostSubject: Re: want to tow a boat   want to tow a boat Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

want to tow a boat
Page 1 of 1