GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Class II or III hitch?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
My Betty

My Betty

Class II or III hitch? Empty
PostSubject: Class II or III hitch?   Class II or III hitch? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 11:18 pm

Hello, my 96 Roadmaster Wagon has the tow package and Posi traction. I'm looking to buy a hitch for it.

A Class II hitch is rated at 3500 lbs. and a Class III up to 5000 which is the rated tow capacity for The Betty.

Is there a brand/ part # for a class III hitch? Or am I better off with a two? Found a couple threads but no conclusive info.

Thanks, Mike
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: Class II or III hitch?   Class II or III hitch? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 1:08 am

Mike I will send pictures of each tomorrow.
Dick
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Class II or III hitch?   Class II or III hitch? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 7:12 am

Actually - recent developments have come about in this arena. Apparently U-haul is now producing a class 3 hitch for our cars.

http://www.uhaul.com/Locations/Trailer-hitches/784056

Part number is the same as the old Draw-Tite part number: 41509.
Back to top Go down
My Betty

My Betty

PostSubject: Re: Class II or III hitch?   Class II or III hitch? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 8:49 am

Great. Thanks. It's a class three but it's rated at 3500lbs. I think that's as good as it gets.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Class II or III hitch?   Class II or III hitch? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 9:32 am

3500 standard and 10K weight distrobuting.
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: Class II or III hitch?   Class II or III hitch? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 10:05 am

Mike

CLASS II Still Available new:
Class II or III hitch? Class2hitch_zpsc7617fbc

CLASS III Not made anymore and hard to find:
Class II or III hitch? F36306655

41509 is the Drawtite number that was on my hitch (new Old Stock). I paid $100 for it and $95 to ship from GA to Oregon. Guys on the Forum have found them in Salvage yards on OCC, RMW and CC wagons. You have probably already read that the sedan hitch is too narrow.

The Class of hitch needed depends on what tou are pulling. I tow a 22' 1958 Airstream worth more than my car so I wanted the Class III. GOOD LUCK.
Dick

Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: Class II or III hitch?   Class II or III hitch? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 10:15 am

Stingroo wrote:
Actually - recent developments have come about in this arena. Apparently U-haul is now producing a class 3 hitch for our cars.

Roo,
Many have chased the U Haul rabitt down the hole and found nothing. I hope that is true for all our Longroof members who need a Class III.
Dick
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Class II or III hitch?   Class II or III hitch? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 10:54 am

If you have access to welding equipment and/or know a welder, I made my own Class IV receiver and documented it with photos and a dimensioned drawing on the Buick Roadmaster forum.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Class II or III hitch?   Class II or III hitch? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 10:56 am

COL wrote:
Stingroo wrote:

Roo,
Many have chased the U Haul rabitt down the hole and found nothing. I hope that is true for all our Longroof members who need a Class III.
Dick

FWIW, I just went to Uhaul.com, it lists said class III as available and ready for order (albeit with a 14 day production time). Previously you only had the option to send your car to AZ for them to custom fab one. Maybe they're finally making one again.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Class II or III hitch?   Class II or III hitch? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 2:16 pm

Yeah, this recent development is like... within the past two weeks or so. They must have finally had a car go out there, or something.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Class II or III hitch?   Class II or III hitch? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 3:09 pm

Stingroo wrote:
Yeah, this recent development is like... within the past two weeks or so. They must have finally had a car go out there, or something.

I just don't understand how they lost the design from the first time they made these Laughing
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: Class II or III hitch?   Class II or III hitch? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 6:19 pm

Stingroo wrote:
That's good news. I wonder how much it will cost?
Dick
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Class II or III hitch?   Class II or III hitch? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 6:27 pm

It's pricey. Close to $300 for the hitch.
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Class II or III hitch?   Class II or III hitch? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 9:43 pm

Cadet57 wrote:
I just don't understand how they lost the design from the first time they made these Laughing

They probably scrapped the jigs and/or templates. It takes a lot longer to layout by hand than with templates and a lot longer to fit without jigs. Which also probably explains the price.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Class II or III hitch?   Class II or III hitch? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Class II or III hitch?
Page 1 of 1