GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Airbag Light

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
cdcdguy

cdcdguy

Airbag Light Empty
PostSubject: Airbag Light   Airbag Light Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 6:17 am

Yesterday was driving and the airbag light stayed on the 95 RM. After a couple of minutes, it flashed a couple of times, then went out. I am guessing this is no big deal. Later in the day, the starter burned out. It was original and car has 91k. I am sure this unrelated. Anyone has suggestions or advice?
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

Airbag Light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airbag Light   Airbag Light Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 1:30 pm

My airbag light started doing that a while ago. Now it just stays on. I think it is the "clock" spring under the steering wheel.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Airbag Light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airbag Light   Airbag Light Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 9:19 pm

The starter is probably not directly related to the airbag. The only way you can troubleshoot the airbag is with an FSM. There are instructions in it.

That said, I can imagine that the starter could have shorted in some way, appling voltage to the ground of the airbag module. If that is true, it would make the airbag module think it was not getting any voltage at all (If you apply the positive terminal to both sides of a circuit, the circuit does not have a reference for ground, and sees no current flow). If the airbag acts normally in the future, I would not worry about it. The light only reports if the system module is not functioning properly. It does not know what the problem is, it just knows it is not working.
Back to top Go down

Airbag Light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airbag Light   Airbag Light Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 10:07 pm

Fred.you never cease to amaze me with your knowledge of all things B body and I mean this!
Back to top Go down
cdcdguy

cdcdguy

Airbag Light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airbag Light   Airbag Light Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 3:00 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
The starter is probably not directly related to the airbag. The only way you can troubleshoot the airbag is with an FSM. There are instructions in it.

That said, I can imagine that the starter could have shorted in some way, appling voltage to the ground of the airbag module. If that is true, it would make the airbag module think it was not getting any voltage at all (If you apply the positive terminal to both sides of a circuit, the circuit does not have a reference for ground, and sees no current flow). If the airbag acts normally in the future, I would not worry about it. The light only reports if the system module is not functioning properly. It does not know what the problem is, it just knows it is not working.

I think this is the case. Since new starter in, light functioning as usual. Thanks Fred.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Airbag Light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airbag Light   Airbag Light Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Airbag Light
Page 1 of 1