GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Roo Wagon Down again

Go down 
+28
buickwagon
Mark 96 Roady
brokecello
JaySS
scoffman
Gastt
buickestate
DBeaSSt
Olds Weighty Eight
jayoldschool
COL
jasonlachapelle
ChevyChugg
convert2diesel
s1l1sc
silverfox103
81X11
rh96ss
Cadet57
a1awind
95BRMW
Fred Kiehl
phantom 309
BigBlackBeaSSt
benn
GraypaHarwick
toomanytoyz
Sprocket
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 11:31 pm

how fast were you driving while towing, and in what gear ?
I warped a seal while towing a uhaul 4x8 trailer "faster than recommended." It was a gusher, but it looked like it was coming from the pan. I got stuck in Sauk Center, MN, about 1000 miles from where my departure and destination points. I was sure the timing cover had to come off and was dreading the worst. Since I was stuck between a rock and a hard place, at night, I took the "sure win" and stayed at a local motel. Next day I had it assessed by a local mechanic IOT get a 2nd opinion before tearing into it. He corroborated the warped seal, and recommended a can of Justice Brothers seal restorer and an oil + filter. I couldn't believe it, but fixed the problem. Total cost: under 30$. Dude even vacuumed and washed the car. I bought a spare gallon of oil at walmart, but he laughed and said I wouldn't need it. It never leaked again. I still can't believe it worked. I kept it at 60 for the rest of the way home.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 11:36 pm

About 70mph. Drive, not overdrive, since I've heard bad things about that.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 11:43 pm

Any update Ray?

Tom
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 12:37 pm

I arrived at Rays this moring and he happily claimed that it was NOT the timing cover but the intake as the whole top of the intake was swimming in oil when he pulled the air cleaner off.
Apparently it was running off the top and down the front of the block and along the cover.

I was not able to verify as he was already elbow deep unhooking things to pull it. In a few min hes going to pop it off and well have a looky at whats inside.

On a seperate note that I'm sure will be covered in another thread, both Ray and his Mom were speechless this morning Smile.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 12:50 pm

Thanks for giving him a hand John!

Tom
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 7:32 pm

Had to leave before the job was done (taking the wifey out for dinner), but the intake and distro were back in, fuel lines, etc hooked up....only forgot the bracket in the back corner by the EGR (DOH!) So he was taking those bolts back out when I left.

Drain the oil (got some coolant in there when popped the intake (even though we drained the system), and hook it back up. Hoping he finishes it tonight.

I'm sunburned....it was hot out today
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 7:36 pm

No finish tonight. POURING rain. Distributor and all back in. Just have to replace a few broken vacuum lines and change oil, then fill coolant.

No biggie. Thanks again, Sprocket!

I'm also sunburned... but Monday? BRING ON THE SUNTAN!
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 8:18 pm

Good to hear! Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 8:23 pm

Come Monday, I, too, will be a toasted marshmallow. LOL
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 10:40 pm

K,....

the top of the intake was swimming in oil,..

where did it come from?

and why?? scratch

Nick
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 10:43 pm

Gaskets, I assume.... One of them had some damage as well. Hopefully replacing those will fix it.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 11:05 pm

Stingroo wrote:
Gaskets, I assume.... One of them had some damage as well. Hopefully replacing those will fix it.

Which gasket?

if a gasket had damage it would have leaked from the moment it was installed,.

not suddenly on the highway,.

gaskets don't just suddenly get damaged and leak,. its not an everyday unregulated hazard of driving a vehicle,.

If i had to make an internet guess from all the way north here,.

due to the higher RPM of running steady in 3rd gear,. I would guess the drain back holes in the heads couldn't handle the return oil well enough,.

Not sure why you removed the intake,.? after you guys found all the oil,. did you wash things down really good,. and fire it up to visually verify where the leak was coming from?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 11:22 pm

Washed and pulled.

Hopefully your theory is right. It's alright though. We found some other issues that would have gone unnoticed without pulling the intake (some of the vacuum lines were melted from the oil, some of the bolts weren't as tight as they should have been).

We'll see what happens tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 11:29 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
after you guys found all the oil,. did you wash things down really good,. and fire it up to visually verify where the leak was coming from?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2013 6:01 pm

Welp. Worse now.

No, we didn't visually verify it.

After I set the timing today and buttoned it all up, it ran great. Went to go take it for a drive and now it's making valve noise. Additionally, it's running hot. Way hot.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2013 6:16 pm

Stingroo wrote:
Welp. Worse now.

No, we didn't visually verify it.

Oh,....

Stingroo wrote:
After I set the timing today and buttoned it all up, it ran great. Went to go take it for a drive and now it's making valve noise. Additionally, it's running hot. Way hot.

Seems that you really ought to reach out for direction before you dive in and try to fix stuff,.

valve noises?....or exhaust leaks,.(tick sound)

way hot?

temp wire compromised?,. air bubble, making the gauge read high?

way hot,. did it boil over and puke the coolant?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2013 6:18 pm

Not exhaust leak. It's more of a rattle than a tick.

I thought air bubble, but then when I stopped at a gas station to look at it, it wouldn't start back up.
Back to top Go down
GraypaHarwick

GraypaHarwick

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2013 6:40 pm

Man you have to catch a break soon. I was just down this road with my(do I dare say it)1993 Ford van. I tried getting answers off line which just got me more confused.It is hard to get a fix if they are not there. I had 3 different mechanics look at it and each one had a different answer. I narrowed it down to vaccum as crazy as that sounds but vaccum leaks in them make every thing go screwy( Happened to me before). I could not find it so I ended up getting rid of it and getting my wagon. BTW the guy I sold it to knew just what it was .NOT. Any way good luck. It has to be something simple right Question
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2013 6:43 pm

I sure hope so.

Ormond Beach, eh? That's where all my trouble started. LOL
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2013 7:00 pm

Stingroo wrote:
I sure hope so.

So,. its "rattling" "running way hot" "and wont start"

Pull the plug,. its fried,.

Ran it out of oil,. fried the bearings,.

Put a fork in it,.

Nick
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2013 7:03 pm

That's the thing though. There was oil in it when I drained it.
Back to top Go down
GraypaHarwick

GraypaHarwick

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2013 7:05 pm

Stingroo wrote:
I sure hope so.

Yea it is my fault for not buying your rims. LOL
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2013 7:25 pm

Stingroo wrote:
That's the thing though. There was oil in it when I drained it.

Didn't you add the oil?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2013 8:02 pm

I changed the oil and filter. There was oil in the pan. No metal shavings or anything in it, though. Ran a magnet through it and got nothing.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2013 8:10 pm

That's a bummer.

Bearing material is non-magnetic.

Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2013 8:18 pm

That... is not reassuring.

Crap.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2013 8:44 pm

Did you dispose of the oil yet? If not, hold a flashlight to it in the drainpan and use a screwdriver to stir it around a bit.

It should NOT look like this, the oil that came out of my scoobie:
https://youtu.be/0RpMkYbMbLU
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2013 8:57 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
Did you dispose of the oil yet? If not, hold a flashlight to it in the drainpan and use a screwdriver to stir it around a bit.

It should NOT look like this, the oil that came out of my scoobie:
https://youtu.be/0RpMkYbMbLU

I still have the oil. Can check it out tomorrow when it stops raining.

This is not pleasant. lol
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 5:28 pm

Did you get the job Ray?

Dick
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 8:12 pm

Nothing yet. Two more interviews tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 10:46 pm

Too bad you weren't closer,. i could give you a heck of a deal on another wagon,...

Nick
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2013 11:04 am

Did you ever find out what the issue is with your current engine?
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 7:09 pm

so has anyone been by to look at the old motor yet?

What about the L03 for 250?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 7:40 pm

Still no. That's a problem too.... John has been busy.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 8:55 pm

well then fire the motor and video it,. post it to u toob,. and we'll all put our opinions up,..

idle,.

2000 no load,.

1500 in gear,..

we'll see whats waht,..

Nick
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 9:18 pm

Will do tomorrow.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 11:23 am

My luck... lol.

Went to go fire motor. Battery dead. I'll go drop it off at Advance and pick it up later and start it.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 12:20 pm

battery in Grimace?
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 12:23 pm

Wait... you have to take a battery to a parts store to be charged, yet you are contemplating an engine swap?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 12:32 pm

Wish we were closer,I have 7 gel compatible battery chargers and thats not counting the samll trickle chargers.Sometimes its good to have a tool hoarding little brother except when he puts your tools away! scratch
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 1:34 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
Wait... you have to take a battery to a parts store to be charged, yet you are contemplating an engine swap?

Can't find charger in dad's stuff, no other car here. Parts store right down the road.

Fun excuse for a bike ride. Don't judge me. Laughing
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 8:23 pm

why is the battery flat,....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 9:53 pm

Dome light was on.
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 10:07 pm

Well, at least you know that's working. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 10:31 pm

LOL
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 5:16 pm

What happened with the video?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 5:27 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHIAdc1Ag8k

I don't get it. It started up just fine once I put the battery back in it. No valve clatter like before. Still an oil leak somewhere, but pressure looks good. It was stumbling a little bit at idle.

Also, I ran it for about minutes before that video and it stalled. I advanced the timing a little bit and this time it didn't (obviously). Maybe I need somebody with a timing light.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 8:14 pm

it gets hot because it doesn't have a fan shroud,.

put a vacuum gauge on it,. see what its got for vacuum,.

check the oil filter adapter housing to block, common spot for leaks,.(dorman 82560)

drive it.,,....

Nick

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 8:33 pm

Drove it.

Friend says the noise it makes could be due to a stretched or stretching timing chain?

Drive vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-OfKWt-8vg

I know I need to get a shroud. It got destroyed in the accident.

Oil filter adapter to block I did like a year ago. Think it could fail that quickly?
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 8:43 pm

I'm pretty sure I have a TBI shroud laying around, you need upper and lower parts?
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Roo Wagon Down again   Roo Wagon Down again - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Roo Wagon Down again
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next