GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

am i doomed?

Go down 
+2
MacMasterMike
44whoo
6 posters
AuthorMessage
44whoo

am i doomed? Empty
PostSubject: am i doomed?   am i doomed? Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 6:47 pm

I have a 95 rmw with approximately 105,000 miles yesterday when pulling slowly away from a stop the trans shifted very hard as if something broke.i drove home and the wagon acted normal.later in the day the battery died leaving myself and kids stranded and had to replace the battery as it could not be jumped.car was driven about 15 miles today and all seems fine but that one hard shift has me thinking if the trans is on the way out. the fluid smells ok but looks a little grey when wiped with a white cloth. could the battery and the hard shift be related? any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
dave

Back to top Go down
MacMasterMike

am i doomed? Empty
PostSubject: Re: am i doomed?   am i doomed? Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 7:34 pm

Dave calm down here nobody is getting doomed. Just go over the basics before you start pondering a single shifting fluke has killed the transmission. Im no mechanic but how old was that battery? Like you said since it had died it probably was not supplying proper voltage to the car and since the transmission is electronically controlled I believe it could potentially not operate properly.

Ihave had an instance where my alternator had a faulty connection and one of the first signs i knew the connection slipped while going down the road was(other than the check engine light coming on) the car would not down shift properly. Pulling over and fiddling with the connection got the proper juice back to the car and the trans would shift normal again.

I dont know transmissions in and out to say for certain if it was a voltage issue but that first shift isnt prone to breaking on these transmissions. The 3-4 clutch pack and reverse are most common~
Back to top Go down
44whoo

am i doomed? Empty
PostSubject: Re: am i doomed?   am i doomed? Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 9:44 pm

Mike thanks for the response! yea the battery was over 3 years old so It definitely could have something to do with my problem but I just wanted to throw it out there to see if anyone had the same problem.i hope that was it and the wagon will not give me any major problems for a while because I don't really want to put the cash down on any expensive problems.
Back to top Go down
44whoo

am i doomed? Empty
PostSubject: Re: am i doomed?   am i doomed? Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 10:33 am

so far all is working !
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

am i doomed? Empty
PostSubject: Re: am i doomed?   am i doomed? Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 11:03 am

Yes you're doomed. But not for many years.

If the transmission fluid looks weird, you can change the transmission fluid in the driveway for a few dollars. How long has it been since you've changed it?

When our wagon couldn't be jumped, the problem wasn't the battery. Running jumper cables makes the battery irrelevant. In our case it was a bad starter. In your case, check the grounds, and make sure you have a brass post (not silver colored) on the fuse box on the passenger side wheel well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com
44whoo

am i doomed? Empty
PostSubject: Re: am i doomed?   am i doomed? Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 5:23 pm

Nick,haven't changed the fluid in the 2 1/2 years I owned it.new battery installed and that is working properly now.today I started hearing a scraping/chirping type of noise when stopped in drive,the noise goes away in neutral and park and when moving or holding the brake and giving a couple hundred rpm so thinking its the trans...back to being doomed!LOL might drop the pan in a few days and change the fluid.

THANKS!
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

am i doomed? Empty
PostSubject: Re: am i doomed?   am i doomed? Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 11:00 am

Instructions for flushing your transmission without dropping the pan:
http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?p=2193123

If you're dropping the pan, it's still a lot easier if you use this method to drain the fluid first.

Some of the guys here know a lot about transmissions. I'm not one of them. But if new fluid and a filter help, that's a cheap fix to try first.
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com
cadillac kevin

am i doomed? Empty
PostSubject: Re: am i doomed?   am i doomed? Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 5:51 pm

You're not doomed....my safari will occassionally (like once a month at most) shift hard (like a WOT shift)/ act weird. It has done that for the 2 years (and 35k miles) I've owned it. It's at 192k and still going (knock on wood)
Back to top Go down
44whoo

am i doomed? Empty
PostSubject: Re: am i doomed?   am i doomed? Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 6:26 pm

thanks for the help! its been about a week with no weirdness but now my trip odometer is getting stuck at 9.9 time to start another thread...lol

Dave
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

am i doomed? Empty
PostSubject: Re: am i doomed?   am i doomed? Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 6:27 pm

95s all have a brass post so no worries there (was a 94 only faux paux).
I'm of the school of don't change the tranny fluid unless you have too. I've had two close friends do it as a PM and within weeks were buying rebuilds.....(one ford, one GM so no favorites here) I had a Jeep Cherokee I bought from a city with 35K and sold it with 180K and never once touched the trans. YMMV

try pushing it in a few times to reset to 0 mine stiks everyonce in awhite and few pushes usually gets it back going.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

am i doomed? Empty
PostSubject: Re: am i doomed?   am i doomed? Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 1:14 pm

Sprocket wrote:
I'm of the school of don't change the tranny fluid unless you have too. I've had two close friends do it as a PM and within weeks were buying rebuilds.....(one ford, one GM so no favorites here) I had a Jeep Cherokee I bought from a city with 35K and sold it with 180K and never once touched the trans.
Detailed discussion of this topic here. Not trying to start an argument but it's worth reading if you're interested in the actual mechanics of why this happens and how you can avoid it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

am i doomed? Empty
PostSubject: Re: am i doomed?   am i doomed? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

am i doomed?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GM Longroof Forum :: Longroof Tech :: Drivetrain and Towing-
Jump to: