GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

rebuilding upper A arms ?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

rebuilding upper A arms ? Empty
PostSubject: rebuilding upper A arms ?   rebuilding upper A arms ? Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 4:33 pm

i am going to put the new bushings in upper arms. has anyone done this? there is a washer that has inner teeth on one side of the main shaft and mine are toast. i dont see a purpose for these. it looks like they might be used for assembly line purpuse. they go on before bushing looks to me like one bushing would be in then you would put the shaft with the washer in, almost as a stop in then the other bushing. any info i can get a pic if that helps
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: rebuilding upper A arms ?   rebuilding upper A arms ? Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 5:40 pm

I tried to them myself with a 12 ton harbor freight press a few weeks ago, it did not go well. The shafts were rusted onto the bushings, when you let off on the pressure the bushing would pop back in as a result. The second attempt shot the arm out of the press, I'm smart enough to go to a pro at that point Very Happy
I took the arms and new bushing to a shop and had it done by them in no time.
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: rebuilding upper A arms ?   rebuilding upper A arms ? Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 5:56 pm

Considering a brand new MOOG upper control arm is under $70 in the USA -with the bushings and new balljoint already installed- I don't think it's worth dicking around with it.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: rebuilding upper A arms ?   rebuilding upper A arms ? Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 7:05 pm

jasonlachapelle wrote:
Considering a brand new MOOG upper control arm is under $70 in the USA -with the bushings and new balljoint already installed- I don't think it's worth dicking around with it.

Ding ding ding no more calls please we have a winner!
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: rebuilding upper A arms ?   rebuilding upper A arms ? Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 9:08 pm

i already removed the bushings and the control arms have been powder coated i am using energy suspension bushings. i found a spare set of arms and got the washers off. so i can put them on. i will post some pics tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: rebuilding upper A arms ?   rebuilding upper A arms ? Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 9:47 pm

since i found a good set of washers i am going to put them back on. here are some pics of the washers it was the one with wrinkles on it. they only have one on the shafts.
rebuilding upper A arms ? Fmi52

rebuilding upper A arms ? 20rw9sl

rebuilding upper A arms ? 2vk15ed
here is where it goes before the bushing

rebuilding upper A arms ? 11ad4k0
powder coated arm
still dont know what that washer is there for, or why only 1 and not one on the other bushing
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: rebuilding upper A arms ?   rebuilding upper A arms ? Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 9:55 pm

that car is going to be amazing John. I look forward to seeing it next week.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: rebuilding upper A arms ?   rebuilding upper A arms ? Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 10:00 pm

thanks i just want to get the 2 big parts (frame and body) back to 1 part.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: rebuilding upper A arms ?   rebuilding upper A arms ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

rebuilding upper A arms ?
Page 1 of 1