GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wagon Almost A Total Loss After Encounter With Retaining Wall

Go down 
+6
1993 Roady-man
lakeffect
BigBlackBeaSSt
81X11
GMjonn
Mark 96 Roady
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Mark 96 Roady

Wagon Almost A Total Loss After Encounter With Retaining Wall Empty
PostSubject: Wagon Almost A Total Loss After Encounter With Retaining Wall   Wagon Almost A Total Loss After Encounter With Retaining Wall Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 12:30 pm

If you have been following along, last week my wife hit the retaining wall next to our driveway with the Roady.The appraiser came out this morning, and as I predicted (I used to be an insurance appraiser, remember) it was a close call for the Roady. The damage estimate came to $3200 and change, but it is fixable. He allowed enough for the right side chrome trim to cover my deductible (500) so I am in good shape. By the time I get it fixed, the whole right side will be painted, and it will give me a chance to also take care of a few annoying door dings as well. While I am glad to spiff up the wagon, this is sure not the way I wanted to do it. Oh well, my wife is fine, our rates won't go up, and the Roady gets fixed mostly on State Farm's dime. Very Happy Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
GMjonn

GMjonn

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Almost A Total Loss After Encounter With Retaining Wall   Wagon Almost A Total Loss After Encounter With Retaining Wall Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 12:36 pm

glad to hear it wil be getting fixed up Very Happy
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Almost A Total Loss After Encounter With Retaining Wall   Wagon Almost A Total Loss After Encounter With Retaining Wall Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 2:30 pm

Good deal...in the end!

Need before and after pics!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Almost A Total Loss After Encounter With Retaining Wall   Wagon Almost A Total Loss After Encounter With Retaining Wall Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 4:30 pm

Great to hear that you will save her.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Almost A Total Loss After Encounter With Retaining Wall   Wagon Almost A Total Loss After Encounter With Retaining Wall Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 5:18 pm

The theory is not to look gift horses in the mouth.

Some might say that you get to have it painted with someone else's money, but you've been paying your premiums, so it's more like getting some of your money back.

Dave
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Almost A Total Loss After Encounter With Retaining Wall   Wagon Almost A Total Loss After Encounter With Retaining Wall Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 6:12 pm

Saweet great to see your fixing it back up.
Back to top Go down
Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Almost A Total Loss After Encounter With Retaining Wall   Wagon Almost A Total Loss After Encounter With Retaining Wall Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 7:19 pm

Yup. If you find yourself in Mark's situation, it's probably a good idea to talk to the appraiser going in to let him know what you want to get out of the claim. As long as you are reasonable, it might happen. ( If you are trying to squeeze a $10,000 payment on a legitimate $5,000 claim, no that's NOT going to happen. ) Going in without talking to him, the appraiser might have assumed the owner would want a 17-year old wagon totaled out.

When I was doing insurance appraisal and wrote $10k in damage and could spend maybe a total of $11k before it would 'total', first thing I did was call the owner to find out where they were at on the vehicle. If they were 'in love' with it, i might work a little harder at coming up with a reasonable repair cost. If they told me they were concerned with the vehicle "never being right again", that's all the response I would need to write it off........

Back to top Go down
fmlm83

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Almost A Total Loss After Encounter With Retaining Wall   Wagon Almost A Total Loss After Encounter With Retaining Wall Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 9:28 pm

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
Great to hear that you will save her.

Must be talking about the wife, 'cause why would anyone get rid of a Roady! scratch
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Almost A Total Loss After Encounter With Retaining Wall   Wagon Almost A Total Loss After Encounter With Retaining Wall Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 10:01 pm

Krash Kadillak wrote:
Yup. If you find yourself in Mark's situation, it's probably a good idea to talk to the appraiser going in to let him know what you want to get out of the claim. As long as you are reasonable, it might happen. ( If you are trying to squeeze a $10,000 payment on a legitimate $5,000 claim, no that's NOT going to happen. ) Going in without talking to him, the appraiser might have assumed the owner would want a 17-year old wagon totaled out.

When I was doing insurance appraisal and wrote $10k in damage and could spend maybe a total of $11k before it would 'total', first thing I did was call the owner to find out where they were at on the vehicle. If they were 'in love' with it, i might work a little harder at coming up with a reasonable repair cost. If they told me they were concerned with the vehicle "never being right again", that's all the response I would need to write it off........

I approached it exactly the same way when I worked, and today as well. It turns out I kind of knew the appraiser (I used to be assistant manager at a body shop where his brother worked) and on the phone before we met, I told him I was a retired PA appraiser. When he walked into my driveway, we sort of recognized each other, and in a moment put the pieces together as to where we had met before. I told him up front I did not want it totaled, and I had already estimated in my head how much the estimate would be. Thankfully I was right, so it all worked out for the best. Guys, if you ever find yourself in a similar situation, be sure to speak up before the appraiser starts writing so there are no disappointments!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Almost A Total Loss After Encounter With Retaining Wall   Wagon Almost A Total Loss After Encounter With Retaining Wall Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 10:29 pm

Mark,hopefully the wife will stop fretting over the accident now that everything is settled and you are happy with the settlement.Kinda nice to know she cares about your wagon almoat as much as you do!
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Almost A Total Loss After Encounter With Retaining Wall   Wagon Almost A Total Loss After Encounter With Retaining Wall Icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2013 12:04 am

Mark 96 Roady wrote:
and the Roady gets fixed mostly on State Farm's dime. Very Happy Smile Smile

Insurance companies don't give you money, they only loan it to you...
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Almost A Total Loss After Encounter With Retaining Wall   Wagon Almost A Total Loss After Encounter With Retaining Wall Icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2013 12:30 am

buickwagon wrote:
Mark 96 Roady wrote:
and the Roady gets fixed mostly on State Farm's dime. Very Happy Smile Smile

Insurance companies don't give you money, they only loan it to you...
Well, I suppose you are right-with 3 houses, 4 cars, and all of them insured with State Farm, we do spend a buck or two yearly with those folks.
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Almost A Total Loss After Encounter With Retaining Wall   Wagon Almost A Total Loss After Encounter With Retaining Wall Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 11:47 pm

Well, great news today. I went to the body shop today, with my State Farm estimate in hand. I explained that I already had the chrome moldings necessary to fix the car at my house, and we went over the estimate. I am getting all the damage my wife did fixed, as well as the 2 small door dings, and some previous damage to the lower right quarter panel fixed, for about $200 LESS than what the appraiser wrote! Not only do I not pay my deductible, but I get to keep almost $200. Sometimes it is nice to win one!!
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Almost A Total Loss After Encounter With Retaining Wall   Wagon Almost A Total Loss After Encounter With Retaining Wall Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 11:52 pm

Nice!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Almost A Total Loss After Encounter With Retaining Wall   Wagon Almost A Total Loss After Encounter With Retaining Wall Icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 9:36 am

Good deal!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Almost A Total Loss After Encounter With Retaining Wall   Wagon Almost A Total Loss After Encounter With Retaining Wall Icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 1:54 pm

Thats a happy ending now take the wife out to dinner.When she asks whats the special occasion,tell her nothing just smile and enjoy your meal.Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Almost A Total Loss After Encounter With Retaining Wall   Wagon Almost A Total Loss After Encounter With Retaining Wall Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wagon Almost A Total Loss After Encounter With Retaining Wall
Page 1 of 1