HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ran out of luck... LT1 swap into tbi wagon

Go down 
AuthorMessage
benn

benn

Ran out of luck... LT1 swap into tbi wagon Empty
PostSubject: Ran out of luck... LT1 swap into tbi wagon   Ran out of luck... LT1 swap into tbi wagon Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 3:18 pm

yada yada yada i know this topic has been beaten to death. i found out today my '95 isnt worth puttin anymore work into. body mount on passenger side is toast. and i noticed the frame was a bit soft in this area also. i have no idea how i missed this while working on the car. couldnt see it clearly till it was on the hoist today.

im very sad and broke, and my '92 wagon with over 400k km is sad and broke too. going back to college this september and i'll need a car.

This is whats tumbling around in my small head:

-If i delete A/C on the lt1 do i still need to modify the frame?
-swap everything over engine/trans/ecm/trans crossover, exuahst.
-change the VIN #s and be a badazzz

any help would be great.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Ran out of luck... LT1 swap into tbi wagon   Ran out of luck... LT1 swap into tbi wagon Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 3:59 pm

Option C. Drive the 95. A bad body mount won't make the body fall off, and a soft frame won't cause the car to fold in half. Yes, the southerners will be aghast, but this is a fact of life for us salt belters with winter driven cars. Will it be a show car? No. Is it dangerous? No. Drive it, keep good brake lines/brakes/etc on it, and enjoy college with less worries. If I showed you pics of the "repairs" to the floor/front left body mount of my winter Caprice, you would probably think your issues aren't that bad. I drive that car daily, and it is a great car. Too bad it wasn't taken care of properly early in life. Save up your money for a rust free summer car. It's not worth putting an LT1 in a 400k car.
Back to top Go down
benn

benn

PostSubject: Re: Ran out of luck... LT1 swap into tbi wagon   Ran out of luck... LT1 swap into tbi wagon Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 4:02 pm

its not certified so i cant legally drive it, dont wanna take that risk.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Ran out of luck... LT1 swap into tbi wagon   Ran out of luck... LT1 swap into tbi wagon Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 8:43 pm

if u did the swap why would you need to swap vins? usually as long as you put a newer mtr with the smog stuff in you are ok with the dmv
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Ran out of luck... LT1 swap into tbi wagon   Ran out of luck... LT1 swap into tbi wagon Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 9:15 pm

So, get the 95 certified. Someone will do it. Just talk to people. Someone always has a connection.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Ran out of luck... LT1 swap into tbi wagon   Ran out of luck... LT1 swap into tbi wagon Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 3:37 am

what jay said,..

Back to top Go down
Gastt

Gastt

PostSubject: Re: Ran out of luck... LT1 swap into tbi wagon   Ran out of luck... LT1 swap into tbi wagon Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 8:15 am

I'm going to assume the certification is a Canadian thing, but, what is it?
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Ran out of luck... LT1 swap into tbi wagon   Ran out of luck... LT1 swap into tbi wagon Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 11:12 am

Safety inspection, Ontario, time of transfer. Tire tread, no leaking shocks, brakes, lights, holes in the floor, exhaust, etc. The basics.
Back to top Go down
benn

benn

PostSubject: Re: Ran out of luck... LT1 swap into tbi wagon   Ran out of luck... LT1 swap into tbi wagon Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 8:40 pm

i dont have many contacts concerning safety insp. believe me i've tried before with another car. probably wont go ahead with the swap to much of a PITA
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: Ran out of luck... LT1 swap into tbi wagon   Ran out of luck... LT1 swap into tbi wagon Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 10:04 pm

Come to Ottawa.  100 bucks and a quick go over to see if all lights work, tires have some tread and it it is reasonably safe and a safety certificate ensues.  Lets just call it a safety through rose coloured glasses bounce.

Bill
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Ran out of luck... LT1 swap into tbi wagon   Ran out of luck... LT1 swap into tbi wagon Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 10:48 pm

Option B: some 1/8" plate and a welder: fix the frame.
Back to top Go down
benn

benn

PostSubject: Re: Ran out of luck... LT1 swap into tbi wagon   Ran out of luck... LT1 swap into tbi wagon Icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 12:35 pm

buickwagon wrote:
Option B: some 1/8" plate and a welder: fix the frame.

body mount is still shot.

and bill i sent you a message....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ran out of luck... LT1 swap into tbi wagon   Ran out of luck... LT1 swap into tbi wagon Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ran out of luck... LT1 swap into tbi wagon
Page 1 of 1